Shin Splints + Compression Socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shin Splints + Compression Socks

I've been getting shin splints on and off for the past few months and I read a little into compression socks. Has anyone else had any experience with the as far as healing/preventing shin splints? If so, any recommendations on brand you have? Let me know. Thanks!
    Shipping SO 20140116

Re: Shin Splints + Compression Socks

I used compression socks following a tibial stress fracture, mainly for enhanced recovery after runs (it is debatable whether or not they even work). I wanted to start training ASAP so I pretty much threw the kitchen sink at my legs regarding recovery/prevention. In my experience, they helped much more with calf strain, not shin splints.

I would recommend not relying on compression socks for healing/prevention. Shin splints can be addressed in much more effective and long lasting ways. Strengthen the right muscles and run with the right form and you will see them disappear. Easier said then done, but you won't have compression socks at BUD/s so why train with them regularly.

Here is a great (and official) video that may help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJxOCTvAf8

Comment

Besides having a predisposition to getting them and a few other reasons, shin splints are caused mainly by two things: too high a mileage increase and stiff calves. The video IRunMan linked will give you all the info you really need in preventing them. It's all about that 20 degree bend in your ankles and whether or not your leg gets it from your ankle (like it should) or from your shin (due to tight calves/achilles tendon).

Comment

I stretch my calves frequently like the video says I should and I haven't increased my weekly distance in a while. However, I still get shin splints no matter what I do.
        Shipping SO 20140116

Comment

I recommend toe raises and walking on your heels. Lots of stretching too. Don't buy into gimmicks and worthless crap. Nothing beats hard work. If your calf muscles are really strong and tight that can create problems if your shin muscles aren't equally strong to balance it. Your body is a pole supported by cables, if one is too tight the pole will eventually fall.

Comment

Try foam rolling your shins.

Comment

Foam rolling helps me a ton! Having good shoes works great as well. I know we will use Bates in BUD/S, but there is no reason we shouldn't utilize technology (I use Brooks Glycerin 9s) in order to get our millage up before we get there. Also, try adding in some calf raises. I throw a few plates on the leg press machine and pump out like 5 sets of 15 where I just flex my calf muscles to move my feet up a few inches. This strengthens your lower legs, but it can fatigue them as well so make sure you stretch a little extra.
              SO Ship Date: 1-15-2014

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
              Psalms 73:26

Comment

I second (or third) the videos advice. I do a sort of tibia row (something I made up) in which I get on the row machine, take the handles off, and put on a velcro strap around the top of my foot by my toes. I put around 70lbs. on and then pull my foot towards me and back while my foot is laying down on the bench. I generally support it with my hand, but overall I feel the burn in that muscle directly over my tibia. I have NEVER had shin splints since doing this. I am a bit more faithful towards it now, but I would do it every now and then prior to training for an SO contract.
                My youtube "VLOG" page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWL...4C3arAp4swxckg

Comment

My coach told me something (actually told someone else and I overheard it) that works very well for shin splints. I have never had shin splints but I heard it works great. You take a foam (or plastic) cup and fill it with water, put it in the freezer and then, when its frozen, take it out, cut the cup off, and rub the affected shin/s with it up and down until it melts. You ice it and sort of foam roll it at the same time.

Comment

We use the same technique at BUD/S
                    Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
                    U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL
                    2000 Trident Way, Building #401
                    San Diego, CA 92155

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone! I've been stretching and icing them daily and the pain has subsided quite a bit.
                      Shipping SO 20140116

Comment

Working...
                      X