Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

What Are Your Chances of BCT Success?

A three year Naval Special Warfare study comprised of hundreds of SWCC candidates has identified the speeds, distances and reps that correspond to success at BCT. The graphs in the predictive model show the boundaries of smart training to maximize your odds of success without increasing your risk of injury.

LINK: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-swcc-wh...t-success.html
2 of 2 < >

What Are Your Chances of Hell Week Success?

A three year Naval Special Warfare study comprised of thousands of SEAL candidates has identified the speeds, distances and reps that correspond to success at BUD/S. The graphs in the predictive model show the boundaries of smart training to maximize your odds of success without increasing your risk of injury.

LINK: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-wh...k-success.html
See more
See less

WILKS for log PT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WILKS for log PT

Just had my last day as a Physical Therapy Rehab Tech, aka PT Aide, before shipping on the 4th. My boss and ran through a couple important exercises to do with a band to prepare for log PT. The most important that stood out, which most have never heard, are wilks.
    Take a resistance band, about 10in in diameter, tied in a circle, and place it around your wrists. Start with elbows bent at 90 degrees, and perform a slight external rotation of the shoulders on the band, while doing this, raise both arms above head, and get elbows straight at the top. A good way to do this is running your arms up a wall. Hold for 5 seconds at the top. Perform 20 reps for 2 sets. You can incorporate this into your push/sit/pull days, or your strengthening. This benefits scap stabilization and the smaller muscles in the shoulder that normally wouldn't be touched during standard weight training. Goodluck, and hit me with any questions.
    -Blackwood

If you get a chance, would you mind posting a video?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvAKsnr2e_I
      This video shows an example, except I was taught both arms at once. So instead of one arm at a time going halfway up, use both arms and try to get to the top with arms completely above head at end range. dcthomas13

Comment

A correctly performed barbell overhead press does the same thing, except you'll get much stronger doing it, because you can incrementally increase weight on a barbell.

Not knocking this at all, just as a point of debate.

Comment

tfranc My argument would be using a barbell is similar, but I wouldn't say that using a barbell hits your external rotators(teres/supraspinatus) as well as this would.

Comment

But if the function of the scapular musculature is stabilazation of the shoulder girdle when the arms are in an overhead position, and that stabilazation occurs when the scapula are externally rotated/rotated upward, then strengthening the scapula in the overhead position seems like the thing you'd want to do, you know?

Comment

tfranc I agree with you, strengthening the scap in the overhead position is important, especially for this type of program dealing with logs overhead. Barbell training overhead is in the PTG, and is a great exercise to strengthen said muscles. Although, this is just an additive to the overhead strengthening workouts that would do nothing but benefit.

Comment

When I tore my serratus anterior last winter and subsequently sprained a shoulder ligament, this was one of the main exercises my PT prescribed me.

Comment

Working...
                X