Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Allergies okay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies okay?

I am seriously considering trying for a SEAL Challenge Contract (I am currently a high school junior). I have allergies, specifically to dust mites and certain trees found here in the northeast. They are easily controlled with both regular and prescription meds (I take Allegra). I am also able to equalize when scuba diving. Will allergies like that disqualify me for diving duty?
    Thanks for your help!

Re: Allergies okay?

This is what I found in the medical manual. I'm sure one of the moderators will give you a clearer answer, but for the time being.

Chronic obstructive or restrictive pulmonary
    disease, active tuberculosis, reactive airway
    disease or asthma after age 12, or sarcoidosis. Spontaneous
    pneumothorax and traumatic pncumothorax
    for a period of at lcast 6 months after removal of
    chest tube arc disqualifying. The following are
    required before starting or resuming duty after
    recovery from traumatic pncumothorax or chcst tube
    placement:

The link to the manual is here, and this information starts on page 89 for SEAL/SWCC candidates.

http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/D...CHANGE_126.pdf

Good luck and hope this helps! EASY DAY!
    "Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us."

-Winston Churchill-

EASY DAY
    -John Bailey-

Comment

A further discovery.

(3JAllcrgy to environmental substances,
      inability to wear required gear, clothing, or camouflage
      paint, or allergy to medications that is life
      threatening are all disqualifying.

Copying was weird, but it says "Allergy" not "JAllcrgy." I'll let you know if I find anything else.
      "Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us."

-Winston Churchill-

EASY DAY
      -John Bailey-

Comment

Thanks for the help. Any definition of "environmental substances"? I couldn't find one.

Comment

I'd say if it's not life threatning, you have medicine for it, and you know what causes it and how to avoid it, it should be fine.

Comment

Oh, and environmental substances are basicaly natural stuff like plants and trees, and moss, and pollen, and etc. Again, if you know how to keep it under control I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Comment

Working...
            X