Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Vision requirements question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision requirements question

I guess this would take someone with experience to answer. I have an astigmatism in my left eye but my right eye is perfect, actually its better than perfect, multiple eye doctors have showed me that my eye sight in my right eye is 10-15/20 (very, very good) while my left eye is around 20/40 but not correctable to 20/25 even with surgery. This is a hypothetical question but lets say I do outstanding on my PT test and ASVAB (Im on college right now and plan on getting my bachelors and am in incredible shape but plan on getting even stronger) as well as being an amazing shot, (Ive been shooting all my life, and my shooting eye is my right eye which is the "better-than-normal" one, but i can shoot with both eyes) would I still never be allowed to become a SEAL just because my left eye is a bit under qualified even if i more than made up for it in all other aspects? I plan on talking to a recruiter about this soon but just though I'd ask anyway. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Vision requirements question

Taken from this site under General Requirements:

"Uncorrected vision must be at least 20/70 in the worst eye and 20/40 in the best."

Comment

Originally posted by roadrunner2724 View Post
      Taken from this site under General Requirements:

"Uncorrected vision must be at least 20/70 in the worst eye and 20/40 in the best."
      Thanks for the information but I knew that already, dont forget to add "Must be correctable to 20/25" which is not possible in my situation. Didn't really answer what I was asking

Comment

Originally posted by Ghosted View Post
        Thanks for the information but I knew that already, dont forget to add "Must be correctable to 20/25" which is not possible in my situation. Didn't really answer what I was asking
        You are reading it incorrectly. If your vision does not fall into the 20/40 - 20/70 guidelines THEN it must be correctable to 20/25.

Comment

You are reading it incorrectly. If your vision does not fall into the 20/40 - 20/70 guidelines THEN it must be correctable to 20/25.
          Though perhaps I am reading it incorrectly. But, from information from my recruiter and other candidates, this is how I understand it.

Comment

I could be understanding it incorrectly, though. This is just how I have understood it with input from my recruiter and other candidates.

Comment

I think Ghosted has the right interpretation. It says first and foremost, "Vision must be correctable to 20/25". It then goes on to say what the uncorrected value must be, so even if you had 40/400 vision correctable to 20/25, you would not qualify. Likewise, with 20/40 vision, but uncorrectable, I'd have to say that it seems disqualifying.
              However, there is some possible (but unlikely) ambiguity about whether the correctable to 20/25 requirement is for both eyes, or just the best one. So hold out for an admin answer.
              Exercise Log: http://www.attackpoint.org/log.jsp/user_8012

Comment

roadrunnger, I think you are actually reading it wrong. Your vision must be correctable to at least 20/25 period. This is even if you are inside the qualifying range. If your vision doesn't fall into the 20/40 - 20/70 range then you aren't eligible for an SO contract to begin with. Once you get corrective surgery and you are inside the range but maybe not at 20/25 yet...then you would still need to have your eyes be correctable to at least 20/25 with glasses/contacts in order to be eligible for SO.

Comment

I attempted to post another post after my original post saying that maybe I am the one that is incorrect. Just talk to your recruiter.

But if my information is incorrect, answer this question:

Why would it matter if your vision is 20/40 or 20/400 if it can be corrected to 20/25? It is all the same. The Navy Medical staff knows this.

You cannot rely on or wear contact lenses or glasses in BUD/S or in the teams. If your NATURAL, UNCORRECTED vision is 20/40 in your best eye and 20/70 in your worst eye then you are eligible for an SO contract. If you need corrective surgery then it must be 20/25 or better post surgery. Why is that? Most likely because if your vision cannot be corrected to at least 20/25 then you likely have other issues with your eyes that will have a negative affect, i.e. an astigmatism that cannot be corrected enough.

But like I said, talk to your recruiter or your local MEPS.

Comment

Roadrunner, you're confused on a few things still. The fist line of the vision requirements says "Vision must be correctable to 20/25." In that statement they are not referring to PRK or Lasik correction. If somebody is outside the eyesight requirements WITHOUT correction (contacts/glasses) then that person will need to get some form of surgical correction to get inside the requirements to be eligible for SO.

After surgery, the eye sight that said person now has becomes their new "uncorrected" vision. Most people who have PRK or Lasik are able to get inside the 20/25 mark and thus do not need additional correction. However, if you have a very high refractive error prior to corrective surgery (say 20/400 or worse) there is a chance that you will not be inside the 20/25 mark even with the surgery. At that point, you might be inside 20/40 20/70 but would still be required to show that your vision is correctable (contacts or glasses) to 20/25 if you want a shot at SO. With the requirements they set it's obvious that they feel a student having at least 20/40, 20/70 can perform safely and effectively at BUD/S. Why they also require you to be correctable to 20/25 I can't answer for sure, but I do remember seeing guys in the 234 videos wearing glasses during pistol and rifle qualifications.

Having gone through the process already I can assure you that no where does it say that after PRK/Lasik correction your vision needs to be at least 20/25 to be SO eligible. The requirements for a waiver are this: Pre-surgery your refractive error can not be more than + or - 8.00. Post op from 3 months exam to 6 month exam your refractive error can not have changed more than + or - .5 diopters.

Comment

I'm just going to agree to disagree until a Moderator has time to post. Other threads on the topic agree with my response, but those could be wrong too.

By-the-way, Ghosted created another thread just like this on October 31, 2010 with no Moderator responses. Most likely because the answer is listed under the General Requirements, FAQs and other threads.

Wasn't class 234 in like 2003? I wonder how many times the guidelines have changed since then. Once again, there is an easy way to get your answer. Call MEPS.

Comment

Which threads? It's pretty cut and dry bro, I just chimed in so you wouldn't be giving Ghosted false info. I'm not going to say I've read every eye related thread on here, but I bet it's pretty dang close after going through all the eye waiver shenanigans myself. I went through MEPS a few weeks ago and they would not be able to answer any NSW specific questions. The docs there determine if you're qualified for basic Military service, not NSW. Having your Navy recruiter talk to docs at BUMED or BUD/S would be the best option.

Comment

Just look through the other threads; I can't do that for you and it will likely take only about 5 - 10 minutes. I haven't seen any information to back up your information and I have only found responses to back up my information.

Comment

Is this info from moderators or other members of the forum? Have you seen a recruiter, been to MEPS, and been given a PRK or Lasik waiver from Bumed in Tennessee? My info is direct from Bumed through my Navy recruiter and the Senior Chief who is my local SEAL mentor.

Comment

Just look through the other threads; I can't do that for you and it will likely take only about 5 - 10 minutes. I haven't seen any information to back up your information and I have only found responses to back up my information.
                              Originally posted by trj86 View Post
                              Is this info from moderators or other members of the forum? Have you seen a recruiter, been to MEPS, and been given a PRK or Lasik waiver from Bumed in Tennessee? My info is direct from Bumed through my Navy recruiter and the Senior Chief who is my local SEAL mentor.
                              I am done going back and forth with you. Yes, I have been to my recruiter. Yes, he has relayed information from MEPS to me (not in Tennessee). Yes, I have information from my local mentor.

The bottom line is the only way Ghosted is going to get his answer is to contact the proper sources previously mentioned in this thread (and other threads)

Comment

Working...
                              X