Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official Podcast Now Posted!

The Official Navy SEAL & SWCC podcast, "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday", is now posted in the Downloads section [https://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-podcast.html]. Hear from real, active duty Navy SEALs, SWCC, and key support staff from NSW as they talk training, requirements, ethos, and more. Hooyah!
2 of 2 < >

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Is lasik disqualifying?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is lasik disqualifying?

I was reading about a type of lasik surgery called the intralase method. It is done by the Windsor laser eye institute in Canada. They say in their description that NASA has approved its use and so has the navy for pilots. I wondered if anyone has heard of this or knows anything in regards to lasik? I've heard it's much less painful than PRK and has a shorter recovery period. Thanks!

Re: Is lasik disqualifying?

Originally posted by cmazur6 View Post
    I was reading about a type of lasik surgery called the intralase method. It is done by the Windsor laser eye institute in Canada. They say in their description that NASA has approved its use and so has the navy for pilots. I wondered if anyone has heard of this or knows anything in regards to lasik? I've heard it's much less painful than PRK and has a shorter recovery period. Thanks!
    Last thing I heard PRK was the only method accepted. Ask your mentor/coordinator. But if you want to get it now get PRK. It isn't that bad. I only had sever pain for two days and the rest was discomfort.
    20150324 - SO

Comment

LASIK has been known to cause problems at higher and lower altitudes. US Army Special Forces only accept PRK for this very reason. PRK is the best way to go from what I hear.
      "Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle. But you shall be a miracle." -Phillips Brooks

Comment

Does the surgery have to be done in the United States? It is significantly cheaper in Canada, so with the proper documentation would the location matter?

Comment

Originally posted by cmazur6 View Post
          Does the surgery have to be done in the United States? It is significantly cheaper in Canada, so with the proper documentation would the location matter?
          I would definitely ask your recruiter, NSW Mentor/Coordinator, or admin on this site about that. Don't trust anything from anyone except for them in regards to that.
          20150324 - SO

Comment

I'm new to this, how would I go about getting ahold of an admin? Thank you

Comment

According to the MANMED, the following procedures are acceptable: LASIK, LASEK, or PRK. We don't care which you use, as long as you meet the visual acuity standard. Do NOT get ICL; your waiver will get shot down at BUMED.
              Consult your doctor and make the decision that is best for you. We don't care if you get it in Mexico, Canada, or on the moon as long as your visual acuity and eye health meet the standard.
              Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
              35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X