Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

My consultation appointment in 2 days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My consultation appointment in 2 days

Hello all I am new to this forum and a NSW hopeful. I have not met with a Navy recruiter yet. I am going on Saturday 3/24 for my PRK consultation. I have checked this particular section but have difficulty compiling the information to form concise guidelines. My prescription is L: -2.25 and R: -2.75. I am curious if anyone experienced with Eyesight waivers would be able to tell me precisely what forms I need from my Surgeon to provide MEPs. If someone can point me in the right direction to find this information i will delete this thread promptly.

Welcome to the forums. Study the archives.

My advice in this case would be to get the consultation...Go visit a recruiter determine eligibilty, take ASVAB...then go get a nice free medical and eye exam from MEPS and taxpayer money and they will tell you the forms needed etc. You're getting ahead of yourself. Go see a dam recruiter and a military eye doctor and they will tell you what to do to pass the eye exam regarding surgeries. Mind you there is a wait period after PRK that they will allow you into enlist so be prepared.

Don't delete threads. Leave as referance for aspiring Tadpoles

oh and recruiter will do all they can to get you to DEP and sign ****. Do it when you're ready not when he says. Remember is their job to put notches on their belts as to how many they recruited. Don't be one of those idiots who says the recruiter lied to them, truth is they were gullible, didn't investigate what they were getting involved in and failed to take responsibility for what they signed up for.
    "Lord, let me not prove unworthy of my brothers."

"Ace Ventura: If you were me, then I'd be you, and I'd use *your* body to get to the top. You can't stop me no matter who you are!"

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Comment

Your visual acuity must meet the standard before you can be processed for an enlistment with a special operations contract. See the requirements in the Become A SEAL section of this website. With regard to corrective surgery, either LASIK, LASEK or PRK is acceptable to the Navy. You must wait six months after your surgery and produce documentation of successful checkups from your doctor to the recruiter. These checkups must occur one month, three months, and six months after the procedure. There isn't a specific form to fill out.
      Note: If your PRE-SURGERY refractive error measures +/- 8.0 diopters, it is disqualifying regardless of the outcome of surgery. More on this is found in the MANMED 2012 - Manual of the Medical Department (a PDF available for free download from sealswcc.com) in chapters 15-34 and 15-105. Go to this link: http://www.sealswcc.com/pdf/manmed-p-117.pdf. Good luck.
      Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
      35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Working...
      X