Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Eye Issues and Wanting a EOD Contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Issues and Wanting a EOD Contract

Hey guys, thanks for accepting me!

I know I should talk to a recruiter but I don't plan to start talking to one until 6 months to a year from now, finishing off a semester of college and working on getting my PST scores up, so I don't want to waste their time.

I want to get a EOD contract but my eyes are really making me wonder if when the time comes I'll be DQ'd because of them. I don't have depth perception, at least I failed the test at my doctors, I've been reading that that may not be a deal breaker anymore? BUT I also don't have 3D vision, I can't see 3D images properly and this leads me to believe I don't have stereo vision, both of my eyes technically don't work together. I am not 100% sure on that and have a docs appointment in a month but I am 99.99% sure. I ALSO have slight strabismus where my right, less dominate eye, drifted a little up, but I have had a surgery to correct that and it is pretty much unnoticeable I believe. My strabismus is asymptomatic for the most part, I don't have double vision and I see from both my eyes at the same time, BUT the lack of depth perception and stereo vision I guess would be a symptom of it. But otherwise I can thread a tiny needle no problem, odd example sorry. My vision on my left eye is about 20/40 and right 20/80-20/100, correctable to 20/20 and 20/25-30 on my right with my current prescription which is a little outdated...ALMOST meet the requirements, so I am getting PRK 4-6 months before talking to a recruiter, so add that to my eye issues.

I won't make this any longer, I'm just worried because I REALLY want to get a EOD contract. I don't want to spend money on PRK surgery and hype myself up for so many months to then be let down, I want to know if any of these issues are highly likely to DQ me so I can get used to the idea that I don't have a shot at a EOD contract.

Tl;dr: I don't have depth perception and almost sure I don't have stereo vision. I've been diagnosed with stabismus (but it doesn't really affect my vision in regular day to day life, only issues from it are the later) and am probably getting PRK surgery 6 months before I enlist, do you think this would disqualify me for a shot at a EOD contract?

DONE, thank you so much for reading, sorry for it's length, and hopefully someone has some info on any part of this!

The strabismus is not an issue. The PRK would fix ordinary vision acuity problems, but it remains to be seen as to what your doc finds out. That should provide more clarity before anyone can jump to a conclusion. While your uncorrected numbers are within acceptable range for EOD (20/200), the stereo vision may be an issue. The MANMED, chapter 15-85, applies:
    (d) Depth Perception. Only stereopsis is tested. Must pass any one of the following three tests: (1) AFVT: at least A – D with no misses. (2) Circle Stereogram (See the ARWG for validated and accepted tests): 40 arc second circles. (3) Stereopter (See the ARWG for validated and accepted tests): 8 of 8 correct on the first trial or, if any are missed, 16 of 16 correct on the combined second and third trials.
    Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
    35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Thanks so much for the info, I'm glad to hear that strabismus isn't an issue! Also kinda glad to hear that the lack of stereo vision MAY be a problem and not that it automatically disqualifies me. I've never taken them but if I were to fail all of those three tests I'm disqualified right? I'll definitely get as much info as I can from my doc when I go for my appointment. Also, lack of depth perception isn't disqualifying then right? I know you didn't mention it was but the person in the post before me wrote that he failed the depth perception test and got disqualified for EOD...

Thank you!

*edit: Can I ask another question, rather than starting another thread, for whenever you see this in the future...I've tried searching for a answer everywhere. Do you know if a septoplasty would be a disqualifying procedure? Or is it something you can easily get a waiver for? I have a deviated septum and want to correct it before I join...or should I leave it alone? I know the MANMED says something about nose deformities and their impact on breathing. Mines has very little impact (but some) but I'm afraid they'll pick up on it in meps and want to get the surgery to prevent that, also to just improve my quality of life the little bit it does impact it. I don't have any sinus problems or anything, I preform strenuous activities just fine/don't run out of air or anything, and get enough air from just my nose, it isn't completely blocked just gets stuffy at times and when I sleep. But I don't know if a septoplasty would be considered disqualifying for dive or jump school...

I'm sorry I make everything so long! But thanks!!
      Last edited by 37707; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
      X