Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

PRK/LASIK an option while in DEP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRK/LASIK an option while in DEP?

Similar questions have been asked but I can't seem to find a solid answer. I'm already contracted into DEP, but my uncorrected long-distance vision is DQ for SO. I've talked to a few people in the Navy and keep getting conflicting answers. Some say I would have to discharge from DEP to get LASIK/PRK, and some say I can get it while still in, and they will just move my ship date out 6 more months? Anybody know what is correct?

Refer to aquaman5342
    Last edited by b16fy; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

If you are in DEP and get LASIK or PRK it is policy that you must be DEP discharged and then reapply 6 months post surgery. Recruiters are not well versed in this policy and some even try to influence Future Sailors to not disclose this. It is just a pointless diversion from the policy I provide below as a reference.

I edited the section but under C. Cornea, paragraph 3 is referring to LASIK by is full procedural name which might be confusing to a layman (myself included).

FYI...
      ...I have had this happen several times since 2006 and have NEVER had a problem bringing someone back into DEP once the 6 month period elapses. Granted, no one has ever had complications or a botched procedure either. But the lengthy period of 6 months for accession into the DoD/DoN is THE REQUIRED policy standard, as is a vision evaluation that confirms the surgery did not result in complications or vision acuity that was not within standards. Junior members should refrain from serving up info on this topic even if well intended. b16fy (I think you have the correct advice on a couple of points so you're helping, I get it) recruiters can't roll out Future Sailors, that comes from a TAOC or NRD Leadership level and only with specific justification. Recruiters put pressure on Future Sailors because they are avoiding disclosing info that should be shared from time to time. And DEP discharges/attrites do occur but trust me its not without ramifications. But to the pkcom95 issue the bottom line is this: if your medical dispostion following your MEPS medical exam changes (i.e. your visual acuity is different) you must be DEP discharged even when the vision is improved by having elective surgery like LASIK or PRK. The reason it is not a complete show stopper is that LASIK and PRK are approved. You just have to wait the mandated 6 months then go through the MEPS process. Hope this helps!

DOD INSTRUCTION 6130.03

MEDICAL STANDARDS FOR APPOINTMENT, ENLISTMENT, ORINDUCTION INTO THE MILITARY SERVICES

DoDI 6130.03, March 30, 2018

SECTION 5: DISQUALIFYING CONDITIONS

5.1. MEDICAL STANDARDS. Unless otherwise stipulated, the conditions listed in this section are those that do not meet the standard by virtue of current diagnosis, or for which the candidate has a verified past medical history. The medical standards for appointment, enlistment, or induction into the Military Services are classified into general systems in Paragraphs 5.2. through 5.30.

c. Cornea.

(3) Corneal refractive surgery performed with an excimer or femtosecond laser, including but not limited to photorefractive keratectomy, laser epithelial keratomileusis, laser- assisted in situ keratomileusis, and small incision lenticule extraction, if any of the following conditions are met:

(c) Within 180 days of accession medical examination.
      Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
      U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL
      2000 Trident Way, Building #401
      San Diego, CA 92155

Comment

aquaman5342 thank you for clarifying that. Looks like I will try to discharge from DEP in the near future and try to get surgery. Hopefully I can find an eye doctor who will perform it, I'm 22 and my previous eye doctor said he would not do it until I am 25, though I am no longer at that practice and will try to get a second opinion. I assume if the 6 month waiting period takes me past 1 year since I was cleared in MEPS (which it likely will) I would have to go through MEPS again? Not a huge deal, just a pain as it took me three trips to get through.

Comment

True, you will have to go through that process again but the silver lining is the option LASIK/PRK provides. That can potentially improve your vision and ultimately give you a shot to apply for your goal. Good Luck!
          Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
          U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL
          2000 Trident Way, Building #401
          San Diego, CA 92155

Comment

Working...
          X