Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Vision req.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision req.

So at the current moment I wear contacts for astigmatism that say “-1.25”.... not quite sure what this means but, I am planning on getting lasik before trying out for bud/s... could someone with a lot of knowledge just run me through everything that I have to do in order to go to bud/s. Thanks.

Talk with an ophthalmologist about LASIK. Your eyes will need to reach maturity before surgery can be performed. Also, stigmatisms can sometimes present a problem with LASIK. In any case, your visual acuity must meet the standard before you can be processed for an enlistment with a special operations contract. See the requirements on www.sealswcc.com. With regard to corrective surgery, either LASIK, LASEK or PRK is acceptable to the Navy. You must wait six months after your surgery and produce documentation of successful checkups from your doctor to the recruiter. These checkups must occur one month, three months, and six months after the procedure. Ask your doctor whether you qualify for eye surgery. If your PRE-SURGERY refractive error measures +/- 8.0 diopters, it is disqualifying regardless of the outcome of surgery. More on this is in the MANMED 2012 - Manual of the Medical Department (a PDF available for free download from sealswcc.com) on pages 90-91. Go to this link: http://www.sealswcc.com/pdf/manmed-p-117.pdf. Good luck.
    Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
    35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X