Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

PRK Surgery/ Waiver Timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRK Surgery/ Waiver Timeline

Hey everyone, this is my first post so forgive me if the format is off at all. I had PRK surgery last December in 2018, everything went well. I finished college this spring and have been talking with a recruiter since July. The only problem is that my recruiter's office has had to send the paperwork for my surgery twice to Meps due to a confusion in the post-op timeline. Apparently Meps requires a 7 month post-op exam with my eye doctor as well, and not just the ones within the 6 month post-op timeline. It has been 2 1/2 months since I've been talking with the recruiter and his office hasn't heard back from Meps in a month since they sent the second set of paperwork. To those who have had PRK and have received a SEAL contract, approximately how long did it take for Meps to fully process all PRK paperwork before being medically cleared to start taking the PST's? I have actually been told by Team Guys who had PRK to not disclose it with the Navy (even a recruiter) because of how long it takes, and apparently they could never even find out. I figured though that it would be better to disclose it now and not have it pop up later down the road, plus I have more time to improve my pst scores.

Have your NRD SD Coordinator check into it. Disclose the surgery info and be patient. Failure to disclose is not advice that serves you well. PRK is routinely evaluated 6 months post op favorably when no complications exist and the visual acuity is within standards. Asking the Warrior Challenge team is a better avenue at this stage so either ask the recruiter for their contact or get the Mentor info from www.navywc.com
    Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
    U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL
    2000 Trident Way, Building #401
    San Diego, CA 92155

Comment

Copy deleted
      Last edited by aquaman5342; 10-07-2019, 03:23 PM.
      Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
      U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL
      2000 Trident Way, Building #401
      San Diego, CA 92155

Comment

I had Prk surgery in 2016 and was shot in the eye with a paintball gun 2017.

I submitted about 4 maybe Pre screens to meps

THESE ARE NOT WAIVERS.
        I had to learn that when my 2nd recruiter explained these to me. These are basically asking meps can you come up there to get a waiver. Long story short it took me over a year but I had complications because the eye shot. I switched recruiters because I felt he wasnt checking in and honestly I know he did not think I was going to get approved AND I had my Local NSW coordinator check in personally and check with meps, doctors everything. Hes the one who ultimately told me I was approved they just needed another doctor's visit on my end. That man helped me for almost a year and I'm very grateful. I feel like I owe that man. So dont give up man. Reach out, and keep reaching out and keep reaching out. Meps had like 3 doctors look at my paper work. One doctor denied me, one said requires further evaluation (I saw my paperwork at meps). Meps is like a paperwork dungeon. Just never stop doing what you can. Took a long time but my pst numbers became great and I built up a great relationship with my NSW Mentor. Which is more important to me then my recruiter. So you got it man

I gotta say I'm crazy happy to be able to share this with you and everyone else who will see this in the future. I was so depressed training for so long with no idea if it was for nothing or not. The persistence paid off and I'm on cloud 9

Comment

Working...
        X