Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Any chance at waiver for allergies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chance at waiver for allergies?

I have a problem with allergies. I moved to New England from the Midwest almost 2 years ago (I am almost 18, will be a senior next year), and with the new location came some allergies. I went to the allergist and was prescribed two medicines to help. The problem is I HAD a history of asthma - but my symptoms were all gone by age 10 or 11. But with the new location my body just was had a problem at first, I know I could have gone without them I just didn't think of it at the time. I only used the medicines for maybe 2 months, I am off them and am pretty sure I will be able to pass a spirometry test and pulmonary function test no problem (I will go get those done soon). Is there any chance for a waiver? I read MANMED and know that any asthma after age 13 is an automatic DQ, which shouldn't be a problem because it's allergies. I know only a MEPS doctor can tell me, and I'll have to get the tests done to prove I'm okay, as well as finding out from my allergist what exactly is on my medical history, but I need to know if a doctor would look at my history and even consider a waiver. All help is appreciated, thanks.

Re: Any chance at waiver for allergies?

Update: I just found a prescription from about a year ago for asthma... My symptoms were just allergies not asthma - I moved to a new area with new allergens at 16. I had no problem with this from age 9-17. If I pass a PFT, spirometry, and any other test, do I have any chance for a waiver? Or will the MEPS doctors look at that and give my a DQ without a second look?

Comment

As long as the problem is allergies and not asthma, you don't even have to mention it at MEPS or otherwise. They care about allergies to medicine or food. Seasonal allergies arent the same across the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
        As long as the problem is allergies and not asthma, you don't even have to mention it at MEPS or otherwise. They care about allergies to medicine or food. Seasonal allergies arent the same across the country.
        So would you say if I got a Pulmonary Function Test showing that I have no problems would that pass through MEPS?

Comment

Working...
        X