Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Open heart surgery; congenital defect resolved. Can anyone relate? Wavered?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open heart surgery; congenital defect resolved. Can anyone relate? Wavered?

Like many others here, just looking to tap into the wisdom of those more knowledgeable. I am a serious long shot but refuse to quit till I am told explicitly no to my face...and even then, I'll keep going.

Had open heart surgery back in 2014 (at 24) for an undiagnosed congenital defect. All fixed, healed beautifully, never had any arrhythmias and passed every stress test possible. I've reviewed the Physical Examinations and Standards document [Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations] and couldn't find anything restricting me other than section (c) Cardiovascular, Line (10) Any history of cardiac surgery other than closure of patent ductus arteriosus in infancy. I know the waiver process is subjective and depends on a lot of factors so there is no definite answer.

Has anyone here reading dealt with/or know of anyone who went through buds with a similar issue? Never had any physical restrictions in life pre and post surgery, no family history of heart disease or any complications. Just a fluke a doc missed in 1988.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by dusmith88; 06-08-2016, 10:07 AM.

....So after looking to the horses mouth for answers, I'm still coming up a little gray. Along with 15-105; 15-43 also calls out congenital heart anomalies as disqualifying so that feels like strike 2, BUT 15-31 (1) gives the most concise explanation of what a waiver is intended for and that gives me some hope. It reads...

(1) For some applicants, their current level of functioning and/or state of health in spite of the presence of a disqualifying medical condition warrants a waiver of the standards.

My plan is to continue spending the next 8 months training and conditioning to get a position where I can annihilate the PST, and ASVAB. I just can't leave any stone unturned so I am still reaching out to anyone reading with some knowledge or experience with this issue..surely I am not the only one!

Comment

Working...
    X