Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Multiple Waivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Waivers

As a child, I had various problems, both mentally and physically. The DQ's are as follows: OCD, anxiety, depression, mild asthma, and ADHD. I understand that's quite a lot of waivers, but hear me out. When I was growing up I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism due to a Vitamin-D deficiency, which is known to cause anxiety, depression, and ADHD. This wasn't found out till I was about sixteen. So throughout all of those years, I packed on quite some weight and a list of disorders despite working out and eating correctly.

So today all of the things above have been corrected. After getting my TSH level back down to normal, I lost weight and got into the best shape I've ever been in. My mild asthma was, later on, said to be caused by my weight and thus, longer have it. As for the mental illnesses, I don't have them anymore. The one thing that wasn't caused by my hypothyroidism was my OCD. I eventually outgrew it and no longer have any ticks. To be honest I don't see why my case of OCD would be a problem due to the fact that all I did was excessively wash my hands. If anything it taught me to pay better attention to small details.

I've been off all medication for over two years and have been cleared of all physical and mental ailments. I have shown academic achievement by graduating from ASU. with a bachelor's degree in science and a 4.0 GPA. I also have never been arrested or had any bones broken. If I were to get letters from my psychiatrist and doctor stating that I no longer have any physical or mental ailments, could I possibly have all of the issues stated above waivered? If so, what is the likelihood of that happening?

I'm no expert, but why even mention this stuff to a recruiter? Its all in the past it sounds like and you have an excellent resume. I mean this stuff is probably on your medical records but I'm not sure if they have the right to look at personal medical records, which is why they make you go to MEPs so they can check you out.

I mean, I would talk to a recruiter and not mention it, and if you get through MEPs I doubt you'd have an issue with any of it.

Keep in mind that as a Special Operator (the way I see it) you're expected to complete the mission no matter what. In this case BUD/S is the mission. Don't let this stuff get in your way if you're past it.

By all means do what you think is best, who knows, you may get a waiver for everything (you may not even need a waiver since you're past it), but I just don't see why this stuff should or would get in your way now, especially if you're committed and want nothing more.
    "Search for approval from within, not from others" -David Goggins

Comment

• Adam Wright
      Adam Wright commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!! I'll see where this ride takes me.

Not a problem, like I said I'm not an expert, see where you can get. Most importantly don't let the recruiter dictate your contract, its your contract, own it, and dont take any crap. Obviously you have to work with them, but like I said, its your contract, don't let them turn you into a quota number.
    "Search for approval from within, not from others" -David Goggins

Comment

Working...
    X