Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Yes, another age waiver question...I'm 31

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, another age waiver question...I'm 31

Hey everyone,

I am in the process of beginning all of my paperwork to join the navy soon. I'm excited about this new opportunity in my life, but my mind and heart are set on special warfare rates. With a little conditioning, I can do great on The PST, but I don't think they want to do the paperwork to give me the age waiver. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not a snowflake, but I think I would be very useful to The Navy in one of these rates. Any advice on a plan of attack? This is what my heart is set on and will do anything to make it happen.

Advice? Thanks everyone

J

I can't answer your question directly because this is a very touch and go subject (every situation is different), in times of war when they want more guys they are more willing to make exceptions and do work to get guys to BUD/S, but we're not in a very big war time and there's already a big influx of guys wanting Spec Warfare. Also, I've only talked to a recruiter a couple times with basic questions when I first started exploring interests in the Military so my formal knowledge is limited, I have however had the advantage of talking to a few guys that had things to say about the subject though.

I think the biggest thing when getting a waiver is finding a recruiter who's willing to work with, and for you to help you get the contract you want. If you're very serious you might even consider moving to a location that is known for good recruiters that work hard.

Also, I'm curious, have you attended college? Why do you want to go SEALs? Why not EOD or SWCC? EOD's age cap is 30 (closer to you than the 28) and they're pretty awesome, if you want to you can usually be attached to SEAL teams as EOD, if you're thinking simple terms, SEALs are like US Spec Forces Offence, and EOD is like US Spec Forces Defense (not to say they aren't on offensive missions, just the nature of the work is more defense than offence in my opinion, i.e. disarming bombs, opposed to arming them). I mean PJ age cap is 32 (even reading as high as 39 on the AF website, link at bottom). There are a lot of options out there, and since you're in a tight situation you should consider exploring them.

Basically, do what you want to do, and don't take no as an answer, but unfortunately becoming a SEAL isn't 100% in your hands, you have to go through the normal Navy before you can prove yourself in BUD/S. I think the biggest thing you can do is be smart with the recruiter and be persistent.

https://www.navy.com/careers/special...&-requirements
    Welcome to the United States Air Force. Learn about great opportunities for enlisted airmen, officers and health care professionals.
    "Search for approval from within, not from others" -David Goggins

Comment

jruz The last time I had spoken with my spec war recruiter (about a month ago) he had told me that they are not currently handing out age waivers. This is true for the Southern California division (located in Mission Viejo). The reason I was looking into this is because I am currently 25 years old, and debating on whether or not to transfer to a University in order to secure a B.A. I have decided to enlist with my 2 year degree instead of taking that risk. Would you be 28yrs old on the first day of attending boot camp? Or are you already past the age limit? If you're already past limit (would have to require a waiver), then I would suggest asking yourself, do you want the job or do you just want the title? Like BenRob2 said, there are plenty other operator careers out there if what you're seeking is for the job itself. Best of luck
      -Blackwood

Comment

I just noticed you're 31 sir, I am sorry I didn't notice that before typing

Comment

Best thing you can do is get the ball rolling asap and apply for an age waiver. I've heard age waivers for SO are pretty hard to come by these days, but I don't know what that statistic looks like exactly. Because of how steep it is, I would assume you have to be extremely qualified to get considered - very high CSORT, top 10% PST range, very high ASVAB score in the most sought after combinations for NSW, squeaky clean record, etc.

If it doesn't work out, you might have better luck with the Air Force or Army. The Army's SF cutoff is 30 I believe before you need to apply for an age waiver, and I don't think they're quite as stringent with it.

Comment

Working...
          X