Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Navy Waiver and SpecWar Waiver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Waiver and SpecWar Waiver

Is it possible to get a waiver for condition 'x' and a SEAL contract, ship to NSW boot camp, and get medically dropped for the same condition 'x' for which you already obtained a waiver?

I realize that "discovered" medical conditions could get you removed from boot camp, but can a condition for which one already received a waiver get you removed from the SEAL pipeline and boot camp?

If so, is it possible to get a 'NSW Waiver' before shipping?

Thanks.

I dont think so. If you have the waiver, you are in the clear... thats the whole point of the waiver. Common sense would tell say no but I don't have any experience with the waiver process so don't trust my info 100%.

Comment

Well not to be rude but I'm being told that having an N3M waiver is not enough, and this is coming from people with actual waiver process experience. I.e. People who were kicked out of boot camp are saying this.

Comment

If I had to guess, I'd say they got a waiver and the Navy probably thought whatever condition would/had subsided. A case I could see happening is if you failed the vision evaluation and then got surgery, got a waiver and for some ungodly reason your vision goes below the minimum standard again. Another thing I could see is if you get a waiver for Asperger's (just an example, I don't know if they give waivers for it) or something and then they realize your condition is worse than originally thought or if you can't handle the stress of your training because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight15 View Post
          Well not to be rude but I'm being told that having an N3M waiver is not enough, and this is coming from people with actual waiver process experience. I.e. People who were kicked out of boot camp are saying this.
          I've heard of guys who got processed out after boot because they didn't get a spec war waiver.
          The only time SUCCESS comes before WORK is in the dictionary.

Comment

Wait, so spec war applicants need to get spec war waivers? Whats the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamRD View Post
              Wait, so spec war applicants need to get spec war waivers? Whats the difference?
              I'm not entirely sure...I just know he was on some medicine years prior because of an accident, fought with the Navy for like a year for a waiver. He got it and got to boot camp and they said the medicine he was on DQ'd him from SO. So he finished up boot camp and went home.

Comment

Originally posted by JJones View Post

I'm not entirely sure...I just know he was on some medicine years prior because of an accident, fought with the Navy for like a year for a waiver. He got it and got to boot camp and they said the medicine he was on DQ'd him from SO. So he finished up boot camp and went home.
                This is similar to the stories I have heard.

Which brings me to my final question:

Is it possible to get a Navy Spec War (NSW) Waiver before shipping? And is there any way of knowing which conditions can be waived by N3M (Navy Medical) and not by NSW? Would save a hell of a lot of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight15 View Post

This is similar to the stories I have heard.

Which brings me to my final question:

Is it possible to get a Navy Spec War (NSW) Waiver before shipping? And is there any way of knowing which conditions can be waived by N3M (Navy Medical) and not by NSW? Would save a hell of a lot of time.
                  To be honest this is out of my lane. I have no idea or experience. I'll search around and see what I can find though.

Comment

Hey guys, I'm literally in the middle of this process so I'll be able to let you know how things progress. I got my medical waiver for general service in the Navy (left knee) approved back in the beginning of February. Since then I've sworn in, taken the PST, auto-qualled, and was set to sign my contract next Tuesday. However, yesterday when I went in to take my C-SORT they informed me I would have to hold off on doing so because I now need a NSW Waiver in addition to my general service waiver. I will keep you updated on the process.

Comment

Working...
                    X