Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

BUD/s Waiver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUD/s Waiver

This question is for a SEAL moderator only:

Good afternoon. My name is Cody and I wanted to ask about the medical side and see if it was getting better or worse.

I went to boot camp on an SO contract in 2008. During my dive physical, the DMO looked at my record and saw that I had two previous injuries (both injuries had healed) and DQ'd me from training. I went home, got in contact with my SEAL motivator and re-applied. I got back in in 2010 and went to boot camp on another SO contract. During my dive physical the same thing happend. I had a waiver for my back but didn't have a waiver for my shoulder so they sent me home again.

I applied again in 2012 and got medically greenlighted from BUD/s medical, BUMED and the DMO staff at Great Lakes, but one Captain said no. He didn't handle the NSW side of it, but did handle accession into the Navy.

I decided to let it go for now and open my own strength and conditioning gym and get my degree in physical therapy, which I have done. I would like to try again when my daughter graduates high school, which will be 10 years from now. I will be 38. I realize that the age limit is 28, but also know that my SEAL mentor (Ken Greaves) went back to BUD/s 3 months shy of his 39th birthday. My injuries are over 10 years old now and do not limit any physicality. I am still in the competitive PST score zone.

I would appreciate any insight on this matter and on my chances of getting accepted.

Thank you,

Cody Allred

I know this was for a moderator... I just broke my ankle and Im not trying to get a contract in the near future because I am going to college first... my brother broke my ankle and I needed surgery to make the story short... more information is on the waiver post that I listed a week ago and is just next to your post

When you went in 2008 why did you get disqualified? The Navy knew about your previous injuries before you left for boot camp and gave you a contract ( Im assuming you mean the standard boot camp that all recruits go too and not BUD/S or MEPS)... Im trying to understand why they DQ you when you were already in training... I heard this happens in rare circumstances but I dont even know why they sent you back again just to disqualify you again

Where is the Dive Physical... Was this at the standard Boot Camp the entire Navy goes to or was this before you went there

There is one thing I am certain of though you pretty much have zero chance at getting a contract at 38... waiver are available for people 29-33 or it might be 29-31... Not trying to be a major negative on this forum as I feel this place should be uplifting and motivating

Comment

Working...
    X