Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official Podcast Now Posted!

The Official Navy SEAL & SWCC podcast, "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday", is now posted in the Downloads section https://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-podcast.html. Hear from real, active duty Navy SEALs, SWCC, and key support staff from NSW as they talk training, requirements, ethos, and more. Hooyah!
2 of 2 < >

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Clavicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clavicle

Hows it going guys. Broke my clavicle this week, full fracture with some overlap. I have so far decided to give it a chance to heal naturally so I will have no hardware, but I have been advised that to get a perfect recovery I will need hardware to line the clavicle back up. This makes sense, but I'm worried about having hardware as a demerit when I look to get a contract. On the contrary I would like to have it heal perfectly, with no worry.

I need some advise from either a scout team administrator that has dealt with someone in this situation, or somebody who broke theirs. I have read a couple threads about everyone getting a denied waiver for hardware, then later having it removed (and some who couldn't get it removed). I would like to hear any personal experiences on this. My break is very clean so I believe any hardware I have installed will be able to be removed. My primary concerns are being denied forever, and not having tons of money to cover the surgeries.

So:
    Personal experiences healing naturally versus getting hardware?
    Personal experiences getting waivers, and having the hardware removed?
    What would be recommended by administrators?

My PST scores were good, and I was planning to pull the trigger this month before this happened so I would like to not trap myself in a corner. Really between a rock and a hard place here, and just want to make the most educated decisions...

Respectfully, B16FY

I'm no doctor or administrator but I think your priority should be to make sure it is 100% healed and in place correctly. Found something Mr. Williams said a few years ago on a topic. "Retained hardware is not a disqualifier unless it inhibits your ability to train and operate. A MEPS doctor will make final determination." It was titled, " Waiver for Plate and Screws in Collar Bone".

Also, if you are still young, you have time so make sure you don't rush. Good luck though. Hope everything goes well.

Comment

Working...
    X