Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Hip Arthroscopy, Ankle Surgery, Collapsed Lung

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trey95
    started a topic Hip Arthroscopy, Ankle Surgery, Collapsed Lung

Hip Arthroscopy, Ankle Surgery, Collapsed Lung

Hello everyone. I have a question that I’m wondering if anybody else has had this problem and gotten a waiver. The last few months I have been training hard starting the process of joining and hoping to ship this summer but I’ve been having a lot of hip pain. I went to the doctor and found out through preliminary x rays and exams that I very likely have a hip labral tear. I have an MRI later this week to confirm and to find out treatment options but my doctor told me it will likely need surgery. It’s my understanding that this is disqualifying so I’m wondering if any of you have gotten waivers for something similar?

While I’m here asking, I also had ankle surgery a few years back because I broke it in a weird way. No pins or anything but had to have a ligament reattached. Is this waiverable?

Lastly, I had a collapsed lung about 16 years ago from doctor error. This is the biggest one I’m worried about since commercial scuba diving companies don’t even want to risk the liability so they don’t let people scuba after having prior collapsed lungs.

Have any of you dealt with any of these issues and gotten waivers? Or do you know anyone who has? What are my chances of getting waivers for all 3 problems?

• Scott Williams
    replied
    Notify your recruiter and NSW mentor. You'll probably have to attrite from DEP until you've healed. They can help advise you when you may return. I would pose the other questions to them as well. In the end, it will be a MEPS doctor's decision whether these are waiverable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X