Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Abnormal Heartbeat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abnormal Heartbeat

I contracted SO with a ship date in July. When I went through MEPS, the doctor said I had an abnormal heartbeat. He went on to ask me what sports I played in high school (soccer, baseball, basketball, running).The doctor wrote all that stuff down and said you are good.

I would like some insight on the medical screening questionnaire. I am aware of the cardiovascular section:

(f) Cardiovascular. Any condition that chronically, intermittently, or potentially impairs exercise capacity or causes debilitating symptoms is disqualifying. Specific disqualifying conditions include, but are not limited to: (1) Cardiac dysrhythmia (single episode, recurrent, or chronic) other than 1st degree heart block. Sinus bradycardia attributable to aerobic conditioning is a normal variant and is not disqualifying. (2) Atherosclerotic heart disease. (3) Pericarditis, chronic or recurrent. (4) Myocardial injury or hypertrophy of any cause. (5) Chronic anticoagulant use. (6) Intermittent claudication or other peripheral vascular disease. (7) Thrombophlebitis. Localized, superficial thrombophlebitis related to intravenous (IV) catheter placement is not disqualifying once asymptomatic. (8) Uncontrolled hypertension, due either to the refractory nature of the condition or patient noncompliance, and persisting greater than 6 months, is disqualifying. Hypertension, which requires complex management or is associated with end organ damage, is disqualifying. (9) History of cardiac surgery, including ablations for Wolff-Parkinson-White and other accessory pathways, other than closure of patent ductus arteriosus in infancy.

Concerning medical history, my recruiter just told me they want SEALs to be absolutely perfect. I cannot stress enough how much I am worried about this because I have pursued this career path my whole life. If I were to be denied by NSW personnel because of this, I literally will be beside myself. As we all should be, I am in great shape. This condition has never affected me. I never knew I had it. If anyone can give me some feedback, that would be great.

Thanks.

they said you are good? leave it alone dont say anything else about it. because you have NO health problems. your recruiter will most likely say the same thing. when it comes to med silence is best

Comment

Honestly man, just try not to worry about it. I am contracted coming from the fleet and when I had my EKG done its said "Rightward Axis with Bradycardia", which at first might sound really bad, but the dive doc just classified it as "athletes heart" which is not disqualifying, and not life threatening. I'm not saying this is what you have, but if doc said youre good to go I wouldn't sweat it.

Comment

Working...
      X