Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Possible waivers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible waivers?

Here it is:
    -I was 13 (Now 21) and cut my left wrist. I have 3 scars on my wrist that are faded. My mother and father were in the middle of a divorce and then my mother was diagnosed with cancer. The stress with the separation, cancer, and taking care of my younger sister weighed on me pretty heavily. I guess I just acted out in hopes of attention or whatnot. I honestly can't say why I did it but it's a stupid *** mistake that I have to live with forever now. I'm not depressed and don't have a history of it. I've never attended counseling. (I talked to a Gunnery Sergeant when I was 18 and he said we could get a waiver for it.) Is this something that I can obtain a SpecWar waiver for?
    -I was diagnosed with ADD as a young child. I took medicine up until a year ago for it. I know that I can function completely fine without it. Would the above mentioned cause them to dig through my medical records more than normal? I guess what I'm asking is is something to just confess based off of the aforementioned?

Any other questions please ask. Thanks for your time guys.

Buump

Comment

The scars are probably waiverable. The ADD is more problematic. You will need a fresh evaluation from a medical doctor. The fact that you took medication for it only a year ago demonstrates the possibility that the condition is chronic and not just episodic. Talk with your local Navy recruiter and get a "med read" evaluation before you commit to anything. Good luck.
      Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
      35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

I'll talk to my doctor and ask them for an evaluation/clear. Thanks, Scott.

Comment

I'm not sure if this will make a difference or not, but I was off the ADD meds for a few years in high school by my own choice.I understand what you're saying by me taking it for so long though. I know that this would be something "worth mentioning" in anyone's case. But would it be especially true for me? Or would it be something that I wouldn't have to? I know that there are ppl that have talked to one recruiter and were turned away but said nothing to the other and got it.

I'm just trying not to screw myself here by saying/not saying what should be mentioned.

Comment

Working...
          X