Announcement

Collapse

Manual of the Medical Department

Questions about medical procedures?
Go to http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/P...lications.aspx, scroll down to MANMED Change 126 (pages 51-112) and download the document. The pertinent section is Article 15-105 Naval Special Warfare and Special Operations.
See more
See less

Herniated nucleus pulposus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herniated nucleus pulposus

I herniated a disk while at work. When i went to my doctor and had an mri it showed that it was in fact a herniated nucleus pulposus. I have been going to therapy and i am pain free after only about 3 weeks of pt. Is this a waivable condition? I have been training for so long and would hate to be disqualified because i was working to save money for lassik. Both the neurosurgeon i talked to and the the physical recovery trainer are willing to write that i am fit for service and i am fully recovered. dod 6130.30 also says this:

h. History of uncorrected herniated nucleus pulposus associated with any treatment, symptoms, or activity limitations.

i. History of surgery to correct herniated nucleus pulposus other than a single-level lumbar or thoracic diskectomy that is currently asymptomatic with full resumption of unrestricted activity for at least 12 months.

would pt be considered a treatment? therefore my herniation is treated? are meps doctors more strict for seal contracts, or does dod6130.30 apply to all rates?
    If you have any info please let me know. for now all i can do is continue working and strengthening my back and hope that i don't get a dq.

POSSIBLE SUGGESTION: JUST A COMMENT; YOU MIGHT TRY SEEING IF THIS WOULD EFFECT YOUR FIRST MEPS PHYSICAL EXAMINATION; THEY MAY LIST THIS AS AN FRACTURE POINT IN ENTRANCE; BUT MAY NOT BE CONSIDERED A REAL VERTIBRALIS ISSUE ONCE YOUR ADMITTED IN THE COMPLEX; MAKE SURE YOUR DECIDING INFORMATION IS RELEVANT TO THE MILITARY DOCTORS... AND STAFF THAT RECEIVE YOU PAST THE POINT OF RETRIEVAL, THAT MAY JUST BE A SLEEP ISSUE OR SOMETHING ELSE MISQUOTED IN CIVILIAN MANNERISM, BE SURE TO CONTACT YOUR CRISIS LABELED MILITARY PROFESSIONAL TO COMMUNICATE AN MESSAGE TO HEAD DOCTERS "O";IN DECISION OF YOUR TRAINING. SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE RUN INTO SOME COMPETIVENESS; JUST A SUGGESTION NOTHING INTENDED OTHERWISE, EXCEPT YOU CAN TAKE THE PAIN, I DONT IMAGINE ONCE STARTED YOU WOULD NOTICE VERTIBRAL ANYWAYS.

Comment

A herniated disk is disqualifying. The advice a recruiter will give you is to provide all documentation pertaining to the injury, including MRI/X-ray, and physical therapy notes. Second part of your question, no, meps oversees whether an individual fits the criteria for service overall, however you’re going to require an additional waiver for the SEAL contract since you’ll be disqualified for dive duty as well. I have a buddy who went through the process told me to be sure you get a big Navy waiver and a SPECWAR medical waiver. Reason being is (hypothetically speaking) there’s been guys from my SPECWAR group who shipped and ended up getting sent home from basic due to finding out that they didn’t have a SPECWAR waiver. I looked at the medical guide before and I’m sure that ANY spinal injury/condition is disqualifying for SPECWAR duty, however there could be a waiver for it.

All you can really do is focus on healing and gather those documents, and a second opinion to back you up wouldn’t hurt either.

Good Luck

Comment

Roboscout 302 thanks. from the looks of it it sounds doable. I understand the procedure for getting a waiver and all the documentation i need for that. I took a look at the "NAVMED P-117" Article 15-105. It says the following;

Musculoskeletal. Any musculoskeletal condition which is chronic or recurrent, predisposes to injury, or limits the performance of extremely strenuous activities (weight-bearing and otherwise) for protracted periods is disqualifying.

(1) Requirement for any medication, brace, prosthesis, or other appliance to achieve normal function is disqualifying. Orthotic shoe inserts are permitted.

(2) Any injury or condition which re- sults in limitations despite full medical and/or sur- gical treatment is disqualifying.

(3) Any condition which necessitates frequent absences or periods of light duty is disquali- fying.

(4) Back pain, regardless of etiology, that is chronically or recurrently debilitating or is exacerbated by performance of duty is disqualifying.

(5) Radiculopathy of any region or cause is disqualifying.

(6) Any history of spine surgery is dis- qualifying.

(7) Chronic myopathic processes caus- ing pain, atrophy, or weakness are disqualifying.

from the sounds of it, if i don't have back pain from training or any current back pain at the Dive physical then im in the clear thank god that i don't need surgery. Is this the article you where referring to? sorry for all the questions, im determined to make it through this, and i like being prepared for the mission ahead. And would i get this specwar waiver before i ship out for boot?

Comment

Yes, that’s the article I was referring to. Yes, be sure you get that SPECWAR waiver BEFORE you ship out to basic, otherwise you’ll have two options: reclass or leave. For your situation it’ll be best to discuss it with your NSW mentor and have your case looked at for that determination. Other than that, I wouldn’t be surprised if you’ll be disqualified, so be prepared for that. Good news is for an injury like this has favorable outcome pertaining to rehabilitation.

Comment

Back Mechanic by Dr. Stuart Mcguil saved my life. He is the world's Leading physician when it comes to spine health. Check it out it will save you time and pain.

Comment

Ali thanks! ill check him out

Comment

Working...
              X