Announcement

Collapse

Scout Team Road Trip

Would you be interested in attending an event to find out more about us and maybe get in a little workout? We're putting together a list of places for a road trip. PM Scott Williams (Admin)and tell him your location.
See more
See less

I dont really understand why people DOR @ BUD/S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I dont really understand why people DOR @ BUD/S

You don't understand it because you've never been to BUD/S, let alone spent a single day in the military. JROTC/ROTC weekend dress-up doesn't count either.

BUD/S isn't you waking up from an eight hour night of rest then going to the gym and lifting weights for a couple of hours then getting a protein shake afterwards as you get ready to take a warm shower and go to your day job or school. It's more like operating on four to five hours of sleep and then doing a bunch of mentally and physically exhausting tasks for 12+ hours straight and then doing it all over again the next day.

Your original post makes it sound like you're scrutinizing DORs because you think you're better than them. You haven't even spent one day in boot camp, let alone BUD/S. The mind-**** of getting yelled at by RDCs every day for eight+ weeks for nit-picky ******** is enough to make the average person feel mentally exhausted. Our boot camp division started with 87 recruits and only graduated 69, and three of those were roll-ins. So, in reality, we lost 21 people over ten weeks (that's including the one week of P-days and the one week of holiday stand-down where we didn't do anything except get beat). The funny thing about all of that? It was only boot camp. BUD/S is said to be a hundred times harder than boot camp.

You don't need to understand why people decide to DOR in BUD/S. Everyone has their own personal reason. Everyone seems to be nuking this (BUD/S). If being a SEAL is really what you want, then understanding why other people don't want it as bad doesn't really matter. Besides, you won't truly understand until you actually get there and start going through the day-to-day mental exhaustion.

Comment

I also haven't ever been to BUD/S so I cannot attest as to the effect it will have on me or my motivation; However, I also don't think it is in any way fair to make such a general statement about those people who DORed when they were numb, exhausted, or realized the full extent of the lifestyle required of Navy SEALs.

One of the reasons I want to become a SEAL is because I wrestled for many years. Now, I am not trying to compare the stressors of wrestling practice to those of BUD/S, but the general principle is the same. I was a ***** before I started wrestling and the abuse, fatigue, and idea of not only being completely disciplined and tough during training but also being forced to monitor other areas of your life that you may not have previously paid any attention to had an effect on me. I suddenly found myself actively trying to be as uncomfortable as I could stand, as often as possible simply because I thought it would make me a better wrestler (and you tend to enjoy it after a while). I strongly believe that my goal of becoming a SEAL is due in part to this "warrior" mentality that was instilled in me throughout my years as a wrestler, in addition to my lifelong desire to become a soldier and serve my country; Additionally, I have always been a thrill-seeker.

Even today I didn't come to work in a jacket regardless of the fact that it was twenty degrees outside and snowing. Some of my work colleagues call this stupid, some call it crazy, but all of them admit that they understand why I am doing it. Regardless, that doesn't mean that I particularly enjoy freezing my *** off when I could just as easily be wearing a jacket. No matter how motivated and determined I am to go outside underdressed when I'm looking at the snow on the ground through the window, it doesn't make it any easier (or any more pleasurable) when it takes me five extra minutes to brush the snow off my car because my hands are numb and I'm shivering. But it does put in perspective the kind of sacrifice I will have to make when in BUD/S, and that makes it tremendously easier to spend time outside when it's below freezing.

Just because it's worth it doesn't mean that people (especially prospective SEALs at BUD/S) enjoy being cold, uncomfortable, and exhausted for hours at a time. In reference to the above article, just being outside without a jacket sucks majorly. Being outside with a jacket, while exhausted, sleep-deprived, exercising, and being tormented by an instructor sounds pretty undesirable right now. But that's the reality of you want to be a frog man.

Comment

I'm sick of people coming on the internet posting stories about why they think they have what it takes to be a ******* Navy SEAL. This is a recruiting site, it's here for people to come and get information about becoming a SEAL and maybe provide some motivation. It's not here for people to post stories about why they want to be a SEAL or why they know they have what it takes. Guess what? Every man who finds himself at BUD/s thinks he has what it takes. Guess how many of those guys DOR? A lot.

And yeah, I know this is the "Mental Toughness" forum. But if you don't have anything insightful to say, ask or post then don't post anything at all, for the love of God. I check this site everyday hoping to find some useful new information or insight, and when I click on a new post and I find myself reading a page long essay by some kid who thinks he has what it takes to be a Navy SEAL because he wrestled in high school, it's a little annoying. newyorker223, wrestling in high school in no way makes you a "warrior" or gives you a clue what the "warrior" mindset is. I have this same issue with CrossFitters who throw that title around. You can do Fran in 5:00 minutes? Good for you, but that doesn't make you a warrior.

And maybe you do have what it takes to get through BUD/s, hell, I hope you do. I don't wish failure on anyone, but if you're so confident in yourself then there's no reason to explain yourself to everyone else. Seriously, quiet confidence is always a good policy, especially since we're all still wannabes. And that not wearing a jacket to work thing? You're not doing anything besides annoying your coworkers. Ask any SEAL whose been through BUD/s and they'll tell you trying to get used to the cold is a waste of time.

Comment

Amen ziljaeden. Couldn't agree more.
          "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." --Winston Churchill

Comment

It's probably because they think about how long BUD/s is instead of taking it one step at a time.

Comment

My only guess on why people drop out from bud/s would be because it's the worlds toughest training. And like the navy seals motto, "the only easy day was yesterday", people don't realize what they signed up for till they get there. But hopefully you can run ten miles before lunch and you just might be looking like a winner.

Comment

Ive been to buds and DOR'ed in hell week. People quit because it sucks. My class started with 250 and ended hell week with 40. I too only ever cared about being a SEAL, but everything changes when your cold, wet, and running for endless miles under a boat. BO is a joke, phase is tough, and hell week is a completely different ainimal. Phase wasn't too bad for me, but hell week was repeated kicks in the nuts. I quit because i couldn't keep up with my boat crew during base tour. We had people quitting every ten minutes during this evolution. If you cant keep up or carry your weight the instructors are on you like crazy. Believe me when i tell you, land portage is the biggest killer in buds. It's also the best kept secret. The cold sucks, but for me it was nothing. I was in a february class, coldest of the year. I feel like i got used to surf torture because I knew i would never quit from being cold. The cold gets alot of people too, but trust me land portage is the worst. If you want to simulate land portage go buy a 50# weight vest and run 15 miles. If you can do that no problem then hell week will be less painful. Oh and dont worry about being a PST stud. No one gives a crap. My pst was terrible and i was fine during phase.. (got gooned alot though). My buddy made it through hell week and he barely passes his 4 miles.. Being a fast runner will help you though... If I could go back i would have worked out my legs like crazy and run my *** off prior. There you go... I dont know why im on these forums but i feel compelled to answer questions because I know i had so many before going to buds. Im tired of seeing people think they know everything when they arent even in the navy yet... I cant tell you how to make it through hell week though... you have to figure that out

Comment

lol this is hypocritical for me to say considering my most recent post but you will never know if you will DOR or not till you do or dont, you cant be 100% positive

Comment

With many people, it's because they say, You know I could go through 3 more months or however long I have left, but then after that it doesn't stop, the future suck gets those without the fire in their gut. Then some are just ill-prepared. Then like Stew Smith said,"BUD/S is like a marathon, you can't train to run a 10 or 15 mile race and then make it through a marathon."
                    "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, Navy Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by rhodes87 View Post
                      Ive been to buds and DOR'ed in hell week. People quit because it sucks. My class started with 250 and ended hell week with 40. I too only ever cared about being a SEAL, but everything changes when your cold, wet, and running for endless miles under a boat. BO is a joke, phase is tough, and hell week is a completely different ainimal. Phase wasn't too bad for me, but hell week was repeated kicks in the nuts. I quit because i couldn't keep up with my boat crew during base tour. We had people quitting every ten minutes during this evolution. If you cant keep up or carry your weight the instructors are on you like crazy. Believe me when i tell you, land portage is the biggest killer in buds. It's also the best kept secret. The cold sucks, but for me it was nothing. I was in a february class, coldest of the year. I feel like i got used to surf torture because I knew i would never quit from being cold. The cold gets alot of people too, but trust me land portage is the worst. If you want to simulate land portage go buy a 50# weight vest and run 15 miles. If you can do that no problem then hell week will be less painful. Oh and dont worry about being a PST stud. No one gives a crap. My pst was terrible and i was fine during phase.. (got gooned alot though). My buddy made it through hell week and he barely passes his 4 miles.. Being a fast runner will help you though... If I could go back i would have worked out my legs like crazy and run my *** off prior. There you go... I dont know why im on these forums but i feel compelled to answer questions because I know i had so many before going to buds. Im tired of seeing people think they know everything when they arent even in the navy yet... I cant tell you how to make it through hell week though... you have to figure that out
                      Rhodes87, thank you for your insight. It is very appreciated.

Comment

honestly i can remember it like it was yesterday. I was running under the boat in soft sand. I was in such agonizing pain every step I took... in my mind honestly quite literally i was screaming quit..quit...******* quit...literally screaming this in my mind. the diarrhea running down my leg didn't help. Then we put the boats down and re height lined because 6 people had already quit. one of those people was a buddy of mine who I looked up too. we had are new boat crews and off we went again running with the boat on our heads. again my mind was screaming quit if my buddy couldn't do it i couldn't and then finally i pulled out from under the boat. that was it 4 instructors were on me like sharks it was all over.

All it comes down to is people convince themselves to quit. they don't push through that pain barrier. that little voice is real gents. and if you aren't training until you hear that voice. you are setting yourself up for failure.
                        Strength and Honor
                        SWONEC Victor
                        HOOYAH

Comment

Originally posted by SWONEC 3 View Post
                          All it comes down to is people convince themselves to quit. they don't push through that pain barrier. that little voice is real gents. and if you aren't training until you hear that voice. you are setting yourself up for failure.
                          This is perhaps the most provocative statement I have heard on this forum to date.

...Epic.

Comment

Great post SWONEC 3. Losing the bowels during these runs seems to be a common occurance. Talk about putting out to the max, forget vomitting, thats easy. I know one thing, I have mad respect for a guy who can admit to quitting in BUD/S. Most people lie and say they were medically dropped or some bs.

Comment

To add to this, a lot of people tend to think that all BUD/S is about is "not quitting". Not at all true. You have to perform, and you absolutely have to put your boatcrew and classmates before yourself. For an example: During HW there was a guy in my boat crew, who will remain anonymous, that would not quit.....even though all through the night he was running BEHIND our boat. When he did manage to get under the boat, he was ducking so bad that might as well had been crawling. He was literally making our lives worse, and we already had one weak guy that had hurt his knee. We literally hated this guy, and basically begged him to either help us out or just quit so we could get a new height line and gain someone else...Because he would not quit or put out, we suffered. I will admit that eventually I DOR'd...I was letting my boat crew down and could not keep up. However, I do have a recommendation to at go back to BUD/S....it's a long shot but at least it's a shot. That same guy though, was performance dropped from training on Wednesday of Hell Week...more than half way through. The instructors repeatedly told him to quit because he brought every boat crew down, but instead he put his pride and himself above everyone else no matter how much they were suffering because of him. When he was dropped, his DOR sheet had a huge checkmark next to "Recommended to never return to BUD/S or SBT". I saw him shortly after, and he still maintained that he hadn't "quit". True, he didn't "DOR". What he did was much worse.

Comment

IS2:

How did you do on swimmer and boat surf passage?

Comment

Working...
                                X