Announcement

Collapse

Official Podcast Now Posted!

The Official Navy SEAL & SWCC podcast, "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday", is now posted in the Downloads section https://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-podcast.html. Hear from real, active duty Navy SEALs, SWCC, and key support staff from NSW as they talk training, requirements, ethos, and more. Hooyah!
See more
See less

I dont really understand why people DOR @ BUD/S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I dont really understand why people DOR @ BUD/S

Those were easy, compared to most everything you do with boats or logs. Every time you're out in the water doing races, you're away from the instructors. Every time "surf passage" is on the schedule, you pray for good waves so you spend more time in the water. If you don't put out though, or if the waves are lame, welcome to drag races/land portage for a couple hours

Comment

I feel the same as ziljaeden it gets old after a while right. And th not wearing a jacket makes no sense.
      "Fear not the night, Fear not which walks the night, And I am that which walks the night, But only evil need Fear me, And gentle souls sleep safe in their beds, because i walk the night"- Lt Col Dave Grossman

Comment

That thing that, "Irks" you guys is arrogance & ignorance combined, along with the belittling of people who choose to not continue. The only thing that matters is that the right people get into the right positions within the Navy. There will be guys, Guerrero, who will be faster, stronger & smarter than you. Some of them will stay & perform far better than you will & others will quit. Of the ones who quit, you are no better than them. SEAL doesn't make you God & I guarantee a number of the guys who drop will be able to beat your flesh into liquid. The only difference is that SEAL isn't their calling & it is yours (if by some stroke of luck that ego doesn't get you killed). These guys may even become your superiors & you'll feel all types of funny when it's you with the Trident on your chest but still saluting them. You've got some growing up to do before you get to BUD/s. & I more than promise you if the instructors hear you talking this way or see you putting down a man who drops, you'll regret it. I for one hope you do.

Comment

Gentlemen, I fear this thread may have been misconception. I believe all the OP meant to get in return were a bunch of HOOYAHS and ego strokes about becoming a SEAL. Its juvenile yes, but we have all said silly things for silly reasons. As for walking in frigid temps in a T...I believe that's hoe one catches pneumonia. If I were you I would sweat and take HOT baths every chance you can. Cause IF you get to BUD/S kiss warm water GOODBYE.

Comment

Spoken like a champion....thread closed. haha

Comment

He forgot pissing in your wetsuit.

Comment

personally id just like to reply to his original request, this does not irk me in any way or get under my skin at all. the fact of the matter is everyone here at some point has thought similar thoughts. i have completed the SEALFit academy and Kokoro and personally i can say that after being in the water essentially 25 minutes from the very base that BUD/s is held on and being on those beaches and being yelled at and cold and tired and beat down. its easy for that thought of quitting to crawl its way into your mind. i myself considered it. i watched some guys who i thought would never quit just break at the end of the day the only question that remains when your cold, wet, tired, bleeding, and everything hurts all that matters is can you ask yourself if you want it bad enough, most people dont, i could care less, it isnt for everyone. some just believe that want it until they are there and in that pain, but you have to be able to put your mind in the right spot and keep moving one step at a time, one day at a time some people just cant do that.

Comment

Originally posted by tfranc View Post
                  He forgot pissing in your wetsuit.
                  There are two kinds of people in this world, people who p1ss in their wetsuits and people who lie about it.
                  -Luke

Comment

Originally posted by ziljaeden View Post
                    I'm sick of people coming on the internet posting stories about why they think they have what it takes to be a ******* Navy SEAL. This is a recruiting site, it's here for people to come and get information about becoming a SEAL and maybe provide some motivation. It's not here for people to post stories about why they want to be a SEAL or why they know they have what it takes. Guess what? Every man who finds himself at BUD/s thinks he has what it takes. Guess how many of those guys DOR? A lot.

And yeah, I know this is the "Mental Toughness" forum. But if you don't have anything insightful to say, ask or post then don't post anything at all, for the love of God. I check this site everyday hoping to find some useful new information or insight, and when I click on a new post and I find myself reading a page long essay by some kid who thinks he has what it takes to be a Navy SEAL because he wrestled in high school, it's a little annoying. newyorker223, wrestling in high school in no way makes you a "warrior" or gives you a clue what the "warrior" mindset is. I have this same issue with CrossFitters who throw that title around. You can do Fran in 5:00 minutes? Good for you, but that doesn't make you a warrior.

And maybe you do have what it takes to get through BUD/s, hell, I hope you do. I don't wish failure on anyone, but if you're so confident in yourself then there's no reason to explain yourself to everyone else. Seriously, quiet confidence is always a good policy, especially since we're all still wannabes. And that not wearing a jacket to work thing? You're not doing anything besides annoying your coworkers. Ask any SEAL whose been through BUD/s and they'll tell you trying to get used to the cold is a waste of time.
                    ... I don't feel worthy of responding to this well organized piece of wisdom... but it needs to be repeated. Honestly. If you are here to brag about something you are going to do, leave. Just leave.

Any man who even makes it to BUDs has earned my respect.
                    Seems like a good idea to post the stage of training you are currently in:
                    Pre-MEPS until June 2014

Comment

Originally posted by rhodes87 View Post
                      Ive been to buds and DOR'ed in hell week. People quit because it sucks. My class started with 250 and ended hell week with 40. I too only ever cared about being a SEAL, but everything changes when your cold, wet, and running for endless miles under a boat. BO is a joke, phase is tough, and hell week is a completely different ainimal. Phase wasn't too bad for me, but hell week was repeated kicks in the nuts. I quit because i couldn't keep up with my boat crew during base tour. We had people quitting every ten minutes during this evolution. If you cant keep up or carry your weight the instructors are on you like crazy. Believe me when i tell you, land portage is the biggest killer in buds. It's also the best kept secret. The cold sucks, but for me it was nothing. I was in a february class, coldest of the year. I feel like i got used to surf torture because I knew i would never quit from being cold. The cold gets alot of people too, but trust me land portage is the worst. If you want to simulate land portage go buy a 50# weight vest and run 15 miles. If you can do that no problem then hell week will be less painful. Oh and dont worry about being a PST stud. No one gives a crap. My pst was terrible and i was fine during phase.. (got gooned alot though). My buddy made it through hell week and he barely passes his 4 miles.. Being a fast runner will help you though... If I could go back i would have worked out my legs like crazy and run my *** off prior. There you go... I dont know why im on these forums but i feel compelled to answer questions because I know i had so many before going to buds. Im tired of seeing people think they know everything when they arent even in the navy yet... I cant tell you how to make it through hell week though... you have to figure that out
                      Thank you for your valuable insight. This forum should be for those who wish to become SEALs (and are willing to learn), and those who have knowledge of the process. Whether you make it through the toughest military training in the free world (BUDs) or not, the knoledge is still attained. By passing on this knowledge you assist all the humble SEAL candidates who are not arrogant enough to suggest that BUDs is easy.
                      Pre-MEPS until June 2014

Comment

Sorry guys I should've finished reading. The first couple of posts rustled my Jimmie's. Thank you to everyone who said something intelligent and respectful.
                        Pre-MEPS until June 2014

Comment

Here are the two reasons why people quit:

1. The training is extremely hard
                          2. Quitting is extremely easy

Comment

Re I dont really understand why people DOR @ BUD/S

the main reason why people quit in BUD/S is because they do not know why they are there or they are there for the wrong reasons ie to look cool they saw a movie they played call of duty for years and now they are ready to be a navy seal they want to SAY they are seals instead of actually be a navy seal I would say this is he most common reason for failure in BUD/S and then dual that with lack of preperation ie no running before swimming or any kind of work before shipping literally picking up a contract with mimimum scores and going out to buds thinking that they will do just fine if you want to find the guys who will probalbly be there at the end of buds and sqt look for the guys who take preparation dead serious in every aspect and are open to constructive criticism on how they are preparing wrong

Comment

People quit BUD/S because it’s hard as hell.

I would stop focusing on why people quit and care more about why people stay.

Comment

Working...
                              X