I dont really understand why people DOR @ BUD/S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I dont really understand why people DOR @ BUD/S

I want to get a better understanding of the 80% that drop on request so I wont end up being one of them. I dont quite understand why they quit. 6 months of being extremely cold, wet, aching, sleep deprived,pushed nearly to unhealthy limits - to me sounds like a fair enough price to pay for what you get in return for the rest of your life.

I dont understand how one can train many months and go through the process of getting into BUD/S and just quit.

I saw BUD/S class 234 and remember one guy DOR because in the middle of it he realized that his wife/family were more important than his dream of being a SEAL. I understand his reason but he still should of thought of that before. I, on the other hand, dont have anything to worry about from back home. (no girlfriend, only small bills to pay - no extra weight to carry at BUD/S) Another guy DOR well into BUD/S because the water was too cold in the ocean, even though I dont know what it's like,for a second I looked at him in disdain - what the hell was he expecting!?

I don't know If this is cheesy or corny to some guys but I have respect and am serious ,not only about being a SEAL, but also about the process of becoming a SEAL and I dont like it when people say, "oh I just want to see if I can make it that's all" or "I may not make it and end up quiting but I'll give it a shot" To me they sound like they already failed because they dont sound serious and talk like it isn't a big deal. In my opinion, a good candidate would never go into BUD/S thinking like that and is one of the reasons why they will still be standing at the end of BUD/S. Do you agree?

So those 80 out of 100 guys that quit...can some one explain why they DOR?

It's simply said they aren't tough enough mentaly but was it because those ~80% lacked seriousness, lacked thinking and research and preperation before BUD/S?

Re: I dont really understand why people DOR @ BUD/S

No, none of that. They quit because it is incredibly difficult. It is very easy to sit at home in front of the computer and read the wikipedia page about the SEAL training pipeline and say, "I can do that."

To be honest your post irks me a bit but I can't quite place why it does so. You can expect cold water and sleep deprivation I suppose, but there's a massive difference between conceptualizing the idea of being cold, wet, tired and forced to do difficult physical tasks...

And actually doing it.

Comment

Fatigue makes cowards of us all.
      -Vince Lombardi

SEALs aren't in the same class with "us all" though.

Comment

You don't understand why people quit because you haven't been there. I sometimes have had the same thoughts, but it sure is easy to say you won't quit sitting in a warm house where no one is yelling at you. No one goes to BUD/S thinking they will quit. They all believe they can make it. I'm sure you have been cold, sore, and have overcome challenges both physically and mentally before, but not to the degree that you will be at BUD/S.

From what I've heard, you are on the right thought process. People who can look past their current pain and visualize the big picture, being in the Teams, are the ones that are more likely to make it. You can read books and watch on the Discovery channel about BUD/S and get an idea about what it's going to be like. Until you get there, however, do you really see just how challenging it is. This is all, of course, what I've heard. I myself have not gone yet, but perhaps people who have been can give you some better insight.

"What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists...and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want...and are fully determined not to quit until you get it." - Alexander Graham Bell

Comment

Ken, sorry to "irk" you and I know talk is cheap. What do you mean by its incredibly difficult? of course it is but I thought every one in BUD/S was capable of finishing but they have to WANT it really bad.

Comment

It's 6 months of being cold and wet and exhausted, but don't think after BUD/S you live in a warm home and work 8-5.. Many SEALs have said that what they go through in BUD/S is a vacation compared to some of their continuing training. Don't go into thinking it's only 6 months of suffering. I believe the ones that make it are the ones that learn to love the cold and the struggles and look forward to the next obstacle.

Comment

aggie2013, I know BUD/S isn't the hardest part but once you complete it you are in, you become a SEAL and I know its a job where your comfort comes last.

Comment

Originally posted by JGuerrero View Post
                Ken, sorry to "irk" you and I know talk is cheap. What do you mean by its incredibly difficult? of course it is but I thought every one in BUD/S was capable of finishing but they have to WANT it really bad.
                There's no hidden meaning, BUD/S is an incredibly demanding and difficult selection process. People quit because it is physically and mentally difficult. Many candidates think they want it really bad but are forced to reconsider during training. There's really not much too it. If you're confident you have what it takes then there's no point debating that which is ultimately irrelevant.

Also, for clarification purposes you are not a SEAL once you graduate from BUD/S. The Trident is only awarded upon completion of SQT.

Comment

Originally posted by JGuerrero View Post
                  aggie2013, I know BUD/S isn't the hardest part but once you complete it you are in, you become a SEAL and I know its a job where your comfort comes last.
                  Not true at all. You do not become a SEAL after BUD/S. Men have graduated BUD/S and never attained the Trident. You have airborne school, SERE training and 6 months of SQT(SEAL Qualification Training) then you become a SEAL. So if you pass BUD/S you still have 7-8 months of hardcore training before you become a SEAL.

Some guys also get sent into 18D (medical course) and that extends their training even longer (about 30 weeks) and that comes before SQT.
                  So to think that after you pass BUD/S your a SEAL is just absolutely false. And if you think that everyone that passes BUD/S is just automatically going to pass everything else you are also wrong.

BUD/S is the beginning of the pipeline not even close to the end of it......
                  "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." --Winston Churchill

Comment

Yes of course. First BUD/S then 2 years of training then the SEAL title.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

You can find some interesting perspectives on this question in this thread on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Military/com...f_any_kind_of/

Comment

I'm with Ken on this one. Something about this thread bothers me. I realize you want to pinpoint the root cause of people that DOR at BUD/S, but without ever being there you can't judge their decisions. I'd love to know the reasoning too, but I'll wait until I witness the *** whipping firsthand to find out

Comment

Originally posted by iWontStop View Post
                          You can find some interesting perspectives on this question in this thread on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Military/com...f_any_kind_of/
                          Thank you. The rest of the guys on here couldn't answer my question. I will admit my question was confusing and and therefore "irked" some people here.

Comment

I have a few things I could say, so PM me if you want to get into a philisophical debate. For the sake of briefness, I will skip straight to what I think is most important here: RESPECT. I'm saying this in a nuetral tone, so don't think that I'm flaming on you.

1) Don't talk about BUD/s like you know what going on. Neither you nor I have been there and, as such, have no right to judge its difficulty until we have undergone it.

2) "for a second I looked at him in disdain - what the hell was he expecting!?" I don't think I need to say anything.

Train hard. Live SEAL.
                            Victory or Valhalla

Comment

Again, sorry for the confusing question.

Comment

Working...
                              X