All my options need immediate answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All my options need immediate answer

I have a long story here so bear with me please. I'm currently in DEP (As of January) and tried out for SEAL contract. I've been training with motivators for nearly 3 months now and my best PST Scores are 7:55, 100, 90, 17, and 9:25. I scored a 93 on the AS-VAB and a 3 on the C-SORT, but I've been informed I could never get a SEAL contract because my C-SORT score. There was something wrong with the "Y" score and I was told flat out no on becoming a Navy SEAL. I'm exploring every option at this point and need immediate feedback.

1) I heard about trying a PST during the first week of RTC and switching rates to SO while at bootcamp? What does that entail/does that even exist?
    2) Go into the Navy and put in a BUD/S package and hope I eventually get picked up (I've heard it could be years)
    3) I could go EOD and either do that job for my career and eventually put in a BUD/S package. But I've been told if the Navy takes the time to train me to be an EOD that's exactly what they want me to do. In other words, it would be hard to get out of being an EOD once I'm in.

I read all about C-SORT scores combined with run+swim times and people with 3's need a combined time of under 20:50 and I have that (even though I can/will imrpove on all scores especially the run). I ship out July 11th with an A-PACT rate but I have an oppurtunity to test for an EOD contract this Tuesday so I need to decide what to do fast? If I attempt to try out for the 800 division at RTC then I assume it would be easier to go in as an A-PACT instead of having to drop my EOD contract and etc. What can I do?

Re: All my options need immediate answer

I have a long story here so bear with me please. I'm currently in DEP (As of January) and tried out for SEAL contract. I've been training with motivators for nearly 3 months now and my best PST Scores are 7:55, 100, 90, 17, and 9:25. I scored a 93 on the AS-VAB and a 3 on the C-SORT, but I've been informed I could never get a SEAL contract because my C-SORT score. There was something wrong with the "Y" score and I was told flat out no on becoming a Navy SEAL. I'm exploring every option at this point and need immediate feedback.
    1)
    I heard about trying a PST during the first week of RTC and switching rates to SO while at bootcamp? What does that entail/does that even exist?
    -This used to be a possibility in the past, THIS WILL NOT BE AN OPTION
    2)
    Go into the Navy and put in a BUD/S package and hope I eventually get picked up (I've heard it could be years)
    -This is a possibility; you must spend 24 months in the Navy before you will be eligible to put in a BUD/S package. Every BUD/S class has in-fleet candidates contrary to rumors you may hear.
    3)
    I could go EOD and either do that job for my career and eventually put in a BUD/S package. But I've been told if the Navy takes the time to train me to be an EOD that's exactly what they want me to do. In other words, it would be hard to get out of being an EOD once I'm in.
    -You would indeed need to complete about 5 years at an EOD unit (after EOD school) before you’d be eligible to put in a BUD/S package. EOD school is very expensive, you would have to put in your time before requesting to cross rate.

I read all about C-SORT scores combined with run+swim times and people with 3's need a combined time of under 20:50 and I have that (even though I can/will imrpove on all scores especially the run). I ship out July 11th with an A-PACT rate but I have an oppurtunity to test for an EOD contract this Tuesday so I need to decide what to do fast? If I attempt to try out for the 800 division at RTC then I assume it would be easier to go in as an A-PACT instead of having to drop my EOD contract and etc. What can I do?
    Only you can decide what you'd like to do in a Navy career.

Comment

I have every intention of becoming a Navy SEAL. I just have a hard time accepting the fact that I've been deemed unqualified for SEAL training but considered alright enough for EOD training (which is very hard from the research I've recently been doing). It appears my best option is to go with my original MOS and attempt to get into BUD/S 24 months into my job.

Comment

Senior Chief, could you give more info on why his C-SORT score is disqualifying? I recall reading on here that it is no longer scored 1-4, it's just 1-3 now. Regardless of what it is as of currently, I was under the impression that a score of 3-4 was prime for SO contracts and that a lower score would just require a better PST score to qualify. Any info as to why this changed?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazur View Post
          Senior Chief, could you give more info on why his C-SORT score is disqualifying? I recall reading on here that it is no longer scored 1-4, it's just 1-3 now. Regardless of what it is as of currently, I was under the impression that a score of 3-4 was prime for SO contracts and that a lower score would just require a better PST score to qualify. Any info as to why this changed?
          I've been trying to figure that out myself. Tuesday my world basically came crashing down when I was told I wasn't considered mentally qualified for SEAL training before I even got a chance to prove otherwise. I've been training so hard and I thought my PST scores were good enough to earn a contract but that's not the case

Comment

Can you guys give any heads up on the C-SORT? I'll be taking it in a couple months and everything I hear is that you just have to see it for yourself... but there has to be reasons as to why some are failing it and some are not. Any tips?

Comment

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publication...RS%20GUIDE.pdf

“Not Now”
              • If a candidate’s PST and C-SORT combination do not initially
              qualify, then the candidate can be given specific guidance on what
              they will have to improve/achieve on the PST to qualify. (No CSORT
              retakes).
              – With the help of Mentors/Coordinators/NRD personnel
              candidates will have to increase their PST scores.
              – This is in itself is a mental test of commitment that cannot
              be measured with a pencil and paper instrument
              (operational testing).
              • Candidates are told:
              – “You are not yet ready for SEAL training.”
              “Go home and increase your PST scores.”
              -or-
              “Encourage/counsel them on considering classifying
              into another SPECWAR/OP rating OR Priority Navy ratings.”

This is in itself is a mental test of commitment that cannot
              be measured with a pencil and paper instrument

Comment

so at this time I'm strongly considering going in under my original MOS and trying for a BUD/S package 24 months into my enlistment like senior chief explained. however, will my C-SORT problem follow me the rest of my career?

Comment

I second this.
                  "What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists...and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want...and are fully determined not to quit until you get it." - Graham Bell

Comment

Originally posted by Shark View Post
                    I second this.
                    I wasn't told get better PST scores (although they suggested I become a faster runner) I was just told flat out no on landing a contract so I'm alittle confused right now

Comment

Indian: What's your current PST scores?

Shark: He's probably going to tell us to just stay focused on our goals and not worry about it...

Comment

Originally posted by iamtaliesin View Post
                        Indian: What's your current PST scores?

Shark: He's probably going to tell us to just stay focused on our goals and not worry about it...
                        the last time I officially tested was 3 weeks ago because I've been dealing with a sprained ankle (It's all good now though). At the test I went 7:55 in the swim, 100 pushups, 90 situps, 17 pull-ups, and 9:25 run. I understand I need to get faster but I think I could achieve a run closer to 9 after alittle work

Comment

I heard that a 1 is now the best score out of three... Thats what the recruiter in my area told me. And it is no longer based on a 1-4 scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon_075 View Post
                            I heard that a 1 is now the best score out of three... Thats what the recruiter in my area told me. And it is no longer based on a 1-4 scale.
                            that's odd the chief that administered my test told me 3 was the highest and it was 1-3 scale

Comment

Just got done talking to my recruiter moments ago. He told me there will be an oppurtunity to test for the SO rating while at bootcamp. He gave me his word so I don't whether to believe him or not? If that's the case then that's the best news I've heard all week. I don't care if I would have to forfeit my signing bonus just give me a chance at BUD/S

Comment

Working...
                              X