Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Utah Visit

Meet and Greet: For those who want more information about us, we'll be at The Wall on BYU campus Thursday, Sept. 10 from 6-9 p.m. No admission charge.
2 of 2 < >

Scout Team Road Trip

Would you be interested in attending an event to find out more about us and maybe get in a little workout? We're putting together a list of places for a road trip. PM Scott Williams (Admin)and tell him your location.
See more
See less

Freakin Cold Water.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freakin Cold Water.

Hooyah!! Did anyone take an Ice bath after their run today?! Or did you not even go running? Cause I know I didn't. Yet. haha That BUD/S water is hellishly cold. get used to it guys.
    minimum is only minimum

Re: Freakin Cold Water.

This is kind of an odd post.

Comment

Comment

I think we all know where this thread is heading to.
        Contracted SO Ship Date 01OCT14

Comment

You cannot prepare for the cold water of BUD/S. All you can do is be in the best physical shape of your life when you report for First Phase. Below is a video link of SEALs talking about their experience with the cold in BUD/s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Lqc...e_gdata_player
          -Luke

Comment

Well I stumbled upon a conspiracy, the Navy must of decided that the best way to prepare people for BUD/s is Swim teams on Navy bases and the SEAL mentor program, well I am on a swim team in Kings Bay, GA, Naval Sub Base. So the plan is to "fix" the heater so it only works when it is warmish outside, but once it gets below 40-50degrees, the heater stops working. This my friends is either the Navy's new biggest secret, or a prank the lifeguard or SEALs here play on us.
            "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, Navy Pilot

Comment

Something I've noticed with cold water:

I do my swimming our local park, where a stream runs into this concrete cut-out pool type thing. The water is anywhere from 48 - 60 degrees in the summer. I remember the first time I got in that water a while back, it was colder than ****. I said, "**** this, how can anyone swim in cold water?" I'm skinny, too. 6 feet, 150 pounds and I felt like a popsicle. But I kept going back. I would get my legs in for 20 minutes at first. Then my waist. then my arms and my shoulders. Then I started swimming. I did some research and there is evidence that your body actually adapts to cold water over time with constant exposure, just like your body gets used to an exercise, so you have to crank it up a notch to work it more. It actually becomes more efficient with blood circulation and holding in heat. Mentally, I think getting used to the initial shock in the first 2 - 3 minutes while you're still getting used to the water becomes less and less of a big deal. Now, I just plop right in and am actually hot after my swims once in a while.

Comment

I am used to water colder than the water at san diego. I live on Lake Superior, which is one of the coldest lakes in America. the water temp (where i live) is always around 40-50 degrees in the summer and is frozen half of the year.

Comment

Cold Showers. I eased into them over the last 2 months. I actually enjoy them now. Have not had a hot shower since, as bad as that may sound.

I know that they are two different scenerios, but it helps.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by KeithHutch View Post
                    Cold Showers. I eased into them over the last 2 months. I actually enjoy them now. Have not had a hot shower since, as bad as that may sound.

Keith
                    I used to take cold showers until one day I was like f**k it, I'll stay nice and warm for as long as I can before I get to BUDS. lol

Just my $0.02.
                    Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by KeithHutch View Post

Keith
                      I used to take cold showers until one day I was like f**k it, I'll stay nice and warm for as long as I can before I get to BUDS. lol

Just my $0.02.
                      Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon_075 View Post

Just my $0.02.
                        Gordon
                        lol i did the same thing, i said hell if i plan on being wet and cold the rest of my life i might as well take advantage of being warm while it lasts

Comment

Man, it's been a while since I've been on these forums.

Gentlemen,
                          Do whatever you'd like to do before going to BUD/S. Cold showers, swim in cold rivers, you can even swim in the hot tub; no one gives a ****. It won't prepare you for BUD/S. How many times do you have to read it before you understand this simple fact: making it through BUD/S is mostly a mental challenge. It seems like you don't understand it. The guys who show up on the first day and make it through the last day have already made it in their minds. They could have taken nice hot showers every day up to showing up to Coronado, and the shock from the cold wont phase them, because they already have the frame of mind that they will do what ever it takes to get through. No one is physically fit enough to just shrug off BUD/S, so everyone will suffer in that way. If you are taking cold showers or swimming in cold water months in advance (before you even have a contract), it just means you aren't there mentally, yet.
                          "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it." - Thucydides
                          *08APR2013 SO Contract*

Comment

the cold is nothing..if you really want to prepare for BUD/s buy a boat put it on top of your head and run with in soft sand until you lose control of your bowels and then run 7 more miles with it...
                            Strength and Honor
                            SWONEC Victor
                            HOOYAH

Comment

Originally posted by SWONEC 3 View Post
                              the cold is nothing..if you really want to prepare for BUD/s buy a boat put it on top of your head and run with in soft sand until you lose control of your bowels and then run 7 more miles with it...
                              Lol I've seen you talk about how awful boats on head are a couple times now in the last few days that's something I never really thought about but I could see how much of a toll that must take on your body and also good luck getting back to BUD/s hopefully you'll make it through next time
                              "I've worked too hard and too long to let anything stand in the way of my goals. I will not let my teammates down and I will not let myself down."

Comment

Working...
                              X