What do you guys do to keep running?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys do to keep running?

I seem to have a problem with getting out and running.. my love for working out has always been in the gym or weightroom never outside on a track or running anywhere and i have grown to despise running. So my question is how do you guys get the motivation to go out and run everyday or every other day or whatever you do, id like to hear from people who run high mileage and guys like me who still run lower mileage. I would really like to find something to make running a little easier to start, since i am perfectly fine and feel good once i start but getting to that stage just blows..
    "Accept challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."

Re: What do you guys do to keep running?

Honestly my first 1/4 mile usually feels like crap. I was never a natural runner. Played basketball, baseball, etc. when I was younger but real sustained running was not something I did often at all my whole athletic career until college and then it was just in the summers to workout in some way that wasn't diving. I used to hate it. Now I love it. Again the first 1/4mile is never the part I like, the end of a run where I'm a sweaty mess but know I just put out as much as I could for it without yakking all over. I'm finally getting mileage back up after my back injury and it's feeling good.

I will say the first 3 weeks or so of any workout routine is usually the worst. Your body is adjusting to a new activity, you don't have quite the form you want down yet, and in all likelihood you aren't as well hydrated as you think, I know I wasn't but it's become something I enjoy, even the CHI runs that are usually done along the highway I live near in the blistering sun on blacktop.

Oh, also I like to flip off fat people that honk and act like I'm the moron when they pass me in their vehicles. (Almost always minivans for some reason around here.)

Comment

hey man, I ran track in high school because my wrestling coach made us...I hated it. I ran the 400m and was disgusted with that distance...After I started training for the PST I realized that I was going to have to like to run bc it was a certainty at BUD/S and I didn't mind to swim and Pt. So what I did was make my swimming and pushupsit/pull workouts pure hell. By dreading the things that I once liked...when it came time to run I found it to not be so bad bc all I had to do was keep moving...I can now run 6 miles with ease and I never thought I would see the day that that happened. Just get out there and do it and eventually it will come 2nd nature. sorry if this made no sense...i was conversing with several people as I typed it.

Comment

Just get out there and do it, if you haven't been running on pavement I would progress a mile and 1/2 each week up to your current mileage to build up your muscles in your leg. If you just plain haven't been running at all, well wtf are you doing, do you really want to be a SEAL? You have to go out there and do your thing, don't give a fuk what anyone thinks. IDC if every SEAL said Yoga helped them, I would take a class for that at a gym, NO FUKS WOULD BE GIVEN. Go run shirtless so you get some sun you're probably pale as fuk lurking these forums all day and playing neopets.

Comment

lol this made me laugh

Comment

Originally posted by Solid View Post
            Just get out there and do it, if you haven't been running on pavement I would progress a mile and 1/2 each week up to your current mileage to build up your muscles in your leg. If you just plain haven't been running at all, well wtf are you doing, do you really want to be a SEAL? You have to go out there and do your thing, don't give a fuk what anyone thinks. IDC if every SEAL said Yoga helped them, I would take a class for that at a gym, NO FUKS WOULD BE GIVEN. Go run shirtless so you get some sun you're probably pale as fuk lurking these forums all day and playing neopets.
            You're a funny guy lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid View Post
              alright well by the amount of posts each of us have, separated by only a few months in join date i have not been "lurking" on the forums, so leave your idiotic comments to yourself.................... anyways yes i have been running and no i do not like it but i think what i am going to do is start running lower mileage just every day to get used to going out and doing it, and progressively add more miles on each week

Comment

Just think of the endgame. Running is something you have to do to get where you want to be, assuming by the fact that you are on this forum you want to be a SEAL. You can't be one without it so tell yourself that when you step off. You will sweat more, ache/hurt more at BUDs, and beyond that more than you ever will running a few miles around your neighborhood, so grit it out now. Don't listen to the "Solid" kid he is obviously your typical internet troll.

Just ask yourself if this is what you want to do. SEALS, are self motivators, self starters who never quit. Get out there and run.

Comment

Originally posted by Timodye View Post
                  Just think of the endgame. Running is something you have to do to get where you want to be, assuming by the fact that you are on this forum you want to be a SEAL. You can't be one without it so tell yourself that when you step off. You will sweat more, ache/hurt more at BUDs, and beyond that more than you ever will running a few miles around your neighborhood, so grit it out now. Don't listen to the "Solid" kid he is obviously your typical internet troll.

Just ask yourself if this is what you want to do. SEALS, are self motivators, self starters who never quit. Get out there and run.
                  Good post. Thanks, ive formulated a plan starting next week so hopefully it will kick me into a better start

Comment

Feel like this post would be better off in running or motivation, but regardless just run. then run some more. if your motivation is weak then put yourself in a position where you have no alternative. for example, in addition to my training(lsd, int, and chi.sessions) i run to and from work, school, the store, basically anything within a 3 mile radius. there is no alternative, if i stop im stuck. When i feel like i need to be done the only choice is run faster and get home.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
                      Feel like this post would be better off in running or motivation, but regardless just run. then run some more. if your motivation is weak then put yourself in a position where you have no alternative. for example, in addition to my training(lsd, int, and chi.sessions) i run to and from work, school, the store, basically anything within a 3 mile radius. there is no alternative, if i stop im stuck. When i feel like i need to be done the only choice is run faster and get home.
                      Theo has a great point Gnu. Putting yourself in situations where the only possible way to get someplace the quickest is running then I agree. Don't listen to "Solid", the kid is always getting people down, this profession is all about teamwork and the vast majority of guys on here are here to help you succeed. Be sure that you are including CHI,LSD, and INT runs into your workout plan each week. Also, have at least 2-3 days where you're running on uneven terrain like a beach or a trail. I find interval workouts to be the pinnacle of perfection in preparing for the distance required at BUD/S or even for the PST. Sprinting short distances and then resting taxes your respiratory system and teaches you to function off of less air. It's an amazing rush. That high you get from running like that is the best way to enjoy being out and about. Don't go out with an iPod and headphones with the music blasting. Just run, listening to the sound of your heart as you push out those last few miles, count your steps as your feet hit the ground until you can pace yourself at any distance and most importantly of all, just enjoy the world around you. The sun, the wind, haha...even the birds in the trees. Just relax yourself completely and live for that run and nothing else. Run a 5K as well. Just finishing one of those does amazing things to your confidence and motivation. Good luck.

Comment

something that helps me when I don't feel like running is getting my runs out of the way right after my PT workout. Not only is a high mileage run a great way to cool down, but when you do it after your PT you're still like up and moving and more motivated than if you were just sitting there, thinking about how you have to go on this run or whatever. You could also view it like taking a walk or something, you know like more recreationally maybe? I dunno... I've always just sort of liked running so it's hard to try and describe what makes me get up and do it.

You could also get your running out of the way by playing a sport like basketball or soccer or something

Comment

Envision yourself self near the front of the pack on BUDs conditioning runs if you have to.

Another thing that helps me is completeing my longer distance runs first thing in the morning, leaving zero time for dred or procrastination.

What are your scores like? Be honest with yourself about how ****** your scores are and how a number of former SEALs have been quoted saying BUDs is harder then it's ever has been in the past. Also, take into consideration the number of SEAL hopefuls that you will be competing with in the draft. Use all of this for fuel and motivation towards your endgame. To be honest you don't really seem all that motivated, otherwise you would adapt until you solved this problem on your own, which is exactly what's going to have to happen at BUDs.
                          "Nothing on earth can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I just think about how much worse it will be in BUD/S. That usually makes me pick up my pace.
                            -Luke

Comment

While it will take a while, took me almost a year, you've got to think not do want to go run, but do I want to be a SEAL, you need to be running at very least 4 days a week. Alternate distance and speed, on the days you really just don't feel like running do 2-3 miles nice and easy. But the next day run fast for 2-3 miles and then the next do an easy distance, 7-9 miles, then a longer 10-12 miles. Just be sure to think, if I really want to be a SEAL, I've got to go run.
                              "Do the right thing even if it means dying like a dog when no one's there to see you do it." Vice Admiral James Stockdale, Navy Pilot

Comment

Working...
                              X