Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrible news; now let's make the best of it.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible news; now let's make the best of it.

I was concerned with my eyesight not being up to what it was-- but shrugged it off as a common MEPS error. Apparently, it wasn't a MEPS error. My eyesight (uncorrected) does not qualify, and though it does meet the ability to be corrected to 20/20, eye surgery is not allowed during DEP or at my age (19).

There appears to be nothing I can do. And as much as this upsets me, it only delays me.

My question is which job should I take-- from the two listed below (unless you have other suggestions) that would better assist me in preparing for SEALs when I submit my application in a year or so?

Search and Rescue Swimmer-- I qualify all around, including eyes, and this puts me in the water. I have heard that swimming actually comes to a halt for the most part when you are deployed on the ship, but it seems like a fun job anyway.

FMF (Medical Corpsman)-- I would strive to be the top of my class and ask to be put in a good combat team; this job would give me medical skills, combat skills, strenuous PT with the Marines, and I could get in the pool at my leisure (or so I think).

What should I do? I'm not giving up on SEALs by any means-- this IS my means.

Re: Terrible news; now let's make the best of it.

Hate to hear the news man, but love the attitude! I don't know much about either job, so I won't be much help, but the Search and Rescue Swimmer sounds cool to me. Good luck and I hope you are happy with whichever decision you make, and hope to see that Trident on you eventually! EASY DAY!
    "Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us."

-Winston Churchill-

EASY DAY
    -John Bailey-

Comment

Dont let people tell you that you cant get PRK at 19, I had it done a week before my 18th birthday. If you really want to get an SO contract ASAP then PRK is the way to go. Go into an eye clinic and have an evaluation done to see if your a good candidate for the surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by illusive View Post
        Dont let people tell you that you cant get PRK at 19, I had it done a week before my 18th birthday. If you really want to get an SO contract ASAP then PRK is the way to go. Go into an eye clinic and have an evaluation done to see if your a good candidate for the surgery.
        I didn't let "people" tell me. That's what the doc on base told me when he did my eye exam; he said that I was a perfect candidate for eye surgery, but that it would be unwise to have surgery done so young, while my eyes may still be changing.

Regardless, I can't have surgery done in DEP, so my age isn't really a factor.

Comment

id say pick corpsman...

while in the navy pay for lasik either apply for the navy to do it or ask them if you can pay for it out of your own pocket, which im sure they wouldnt mind.

Keep working out and crushing PSTs everytime you can take one if they are regular in whichever base you get sent to. Put a package in to your career counselor while in the navy and say you want to go to BUD/s. (do this while your eyes are healing)

BOOM!!! you get orders to bud/s and can be a medic in the teams.

now this is a long process because your command may not want to let you go once you get in there but you never know. Its worth a shot and if being a Seal is what you want i believe this is one of the only options since you cannot un-DEP.

Good luck and hopefully this helped

Comment

BUD/S*

saw a post about proper form of acronyms figured i should correct myself

Comment

Originally posted by spencerb View Post
              id say pick corpsman...

while in the navy pay for lasik either apply for the navy to do it or ask them if you can pay for it out of your own pocket, which im sure they wouldnt mind.

Keep working out and crushing PSTs everytime you can take one if they are regular in whichever base you get sent to. Put a package in to your career counselor while in the navy and say you want to go to BUD/s. (do this while your eyes are healing)

BOOM!!! you get orders to bud/s and can be a medic in the teams.

now this is a long process because your command may not want to let you go once you get in there but you never know. Its worth a shot and if being a Seal is what you want i believe this is one of the only options since you cannot un-DEP.

Good luck and hopefully this helped
              I appreciate the advice.

I've decided that is the best option, and I put in my request to leave early with my recruiter this afternoon. He'll be able to tell me if that gets approved or not soon, and I hope it does.

And you can un-DEP; it's called attrition.

Comment

Working...
              X