How do you guys push through?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys push through?

When training gets tough and your finishing up a long run or workout. How do you guys push through the pain to keep going? I personally try and ignore it and distract myself when its not too bad but eventually I will just completely focus on the pain and keep telling myself its physically possible so I can finish strong.

Re: How do you guys push through?

I found one in an oldy but goody. Look up online some SEAL or SWCC cadences. Get them in your head. When the pain starts getting unbearable or your pace breaks down, start ranting them off. Run to the beat!

Train smart, train hard. HOOYAH!!!!

Comment

I have been told my method sucks, but I like it. when the going gets tough, I don't tell myself I'm going to finish, I'm tell myself I'm going to compete. it's not about just "making it to the finish" it's about being #1. If at the end of the day you aren't #1, good. more motivation to train harder tomorrow.
      Seems like a good idea to post the stage of training you are currently in:
      Pre-MEPS until June 2014

Comment

My main motivation is that I know if I don't put in the work, there is always someone else out there that is. If you need proof, go look at some of the training threads where people are running a 6:00 LSD pace for 10 miles. No better motivation than feeling sub par. Someone out there is always faster, stronger, or tougher. The only way you are going to close that gap is train harder.

I also second what Zeke said. There is a quote I remember from a documentary when a SEAL instructor is talking to an officer candidate during BUD/S about putting out. He says something along the lines of 'You aren't here to survive this training; you are here to excel.' Being in middle of the pack might avoid the goon squad, but I don't think anyone is training to be 'middle of the pack.'

I think you will enjoy this quote Zeke:

"I’ve been told it’s a good idea to start a speech with a joke. Well, don’t get your hopes up. I’m not here to tell jokes. I’m here to pick a fight. I’m here to pick a fight with second place. I have about as much patience for second place as I do for flies in my soup. But maybe you like flies in your soup. Maybe you like second place. Maybe you like that ‘you gave it your best, better luck next time’ malarkey they spoon feed runner ups. Let me put it another way. If you think second place ain’t such a bad deal, why don’t you ask Napoleon how he felt about coming in second at Waterloo. Not so good. Not..so…good. And you can spare me ‘it’s not whether you win or lose, or how you play the game’ ********. I guarantee you whoever said that lost the game. Moral of the story: come in first. Still want to hear a joke? Fine. Here’s one for you. Knock knock. Who’s there? The guy that finished second. The guy that finished second who? Exactly.

Whether or not you win this thing, you've got to decide how you're gonna walk out of here when it's all said and done. Because the game is going to go on. And there's only one rule you're going to need to know about: ‘There are no second chances.’ There's only this moment and the next moment. Every one of those moments is a test that you get to take ONE time and ONLY one time. So, if you see an opening, tear into it! If you get a shot at victory, make **** sure you take it. SEIZE that moment! That moment is a crossroads where everything you want will collide with everything standing in your way. You've got momentum at your back. Fear and doubt are thundering like a freight-train straight at you, and all you've got - the only difference between making history and BEING history - the only thing - the ONLY thing you can count on at any given moment is YOU! It's you versus ‘them.’ You versus ‘no.’ You versus ‘can’t.’ You versus ‘next year’, ‘last year’, ‘statistics’, ‘excuses.’ It's you versus ‘history.’ You versus the odds. It's you versus second place. Clock is ticking; let's see what you've got…"

Comment

The thought that someone out there that wants my dream job may in fact, be training harder than myself, does it for me.

Comment

Irun, that quote is great. Made my morning, haha!

Eventually, you'll get tired of telling yourself... I think I can I think I can... All your brain needs to do is add a "t" and your left with... I think I can't.

Instead, think about the future. It's a lot harder for you brain to change up that thought process than it is a simple letter. Think about this opportunity your working for; it's not a handout...

Originally posted by Cthulhu View Post
            The thought that someone out there that wants my dream job may in fact, be training harder than myself, does it for me.
            ...Its a competition.

Think about what life is going to be like AFTER BUDS. Your not training to go to BUDS. Your training to be a SEAL; your training to WIN Basic, to be EFFICIENT at PREP, and to WIN at BUDS. Think how much fun SQT is going to be. Oh yeah, I had OJT the other day and I learned how to rent-a-car to a customer... **** that. Or, would you rather be able to say I have OJT for the next six months, I made it through BUDS and now I'm learning skills to be an asset on a team of men who live for Victory. Who aren't scared of the unknown. Who do not fear death, rather, fear fear itself; they are only afraid of dying without having satisfied their souls that they have done all they can do, and not one more ounce of effort can be pumped through their veins. Men who aren't just satisfied with second. Men who not only will to win, but will everything it takes to achieve it. It takes perseverance, it takes sacrifice, and it takes a rare mentality. It comes down to simply: Is it worth it too you? Yes, or No. Only you can answer that. Keep in mind, there's nothing wrong with either choice. What satisfies one man a thousand times over, can seem like pure dog Sh*t to the next. We all have our own desires.

Pretty much, once you've bred your mind with all this knowledge and motivation, and you make the choice to compete. It just comes down to business, and keeping your eye on target.

When I workout, I used to think about all these things, sometimes even going as far as imagining myself being shot at or in some other sh*t situation, and my evac was just X amount further I had left in my run/swim. Let me tell you, that works surprisingly well; it ups the stakes in your mind from a workout, to I need to ******* live so I'm kicking in survival instincts and your brain feeds those with a healthy dose of some man the f*ck up juice from your adrenalin glands. Now though, my brain just hones in on what matters. I've Cleared it. Focused it. Shed all doubt from it. It's just breaths, senses, and movements. Nothing else. My workouts have become that survival instinct, my brain does it all for me now. I don't think nice **** on the chick bouncing on the treadmill across the gym, or that *** on the babe cycling like she's about to win the friggin' tour de France; not even how hard I'm going to pound that chick I'm camping with this weekend. None of this is worth my minds limited bandwidth, and quite frankly, I could care less. I'm 100% in the zone.

Its just my brain running my body, the sweat on my skin, the mission I'm on. It makes me do push-ups till muscle collapse. Then it lightens the load and goes back to em cranking out like I wasn't just so fatigued that I couldn't even hold my own weight. Why? I'm on a mission. Win/lose, Life/Death, however you wanna choose to portray it; I don't want to lose. I'm willing to do anything to make sure of it.

So starting right now, you well better give it your all; and you all ain't pip sh*t until you've adequately prepared. I mean preparing on all spectrums: injury prevention and flexibility, nutrition, mental aptitude, THEN endurance, THEN strength. When your running/swimming, and you wanna stop because it hurts. Well you D@MN well better stop because your doing something wrong, or you haven't been stretching right/often enough, or you ate pure **** for breakfast and expect some sort of energy to come from it. You don't make progress hurting yourself. You also don't make progress faster by overworking yourself. In fact, you lose progress. I lost 6 months because I thought it was okay. It's not. It's really not. You make progress progressively over time. The story of the rabbit and the hare applies more here than anywhere. I don't know your situation, so I don't wanna come off as I'm trying to say your not prepared, but I felt compelled to include this bit so 14 year old JoeSEAL4LYFE lurking around doesn't read this, go out and hurt himself (Or someone else...). Like a machine, if you run it like a wild man in overdrive for extended periods of time without adequate preparations and maintenance... That machine will not be running very long. Think about racecars (Or motorcycles if your a fanatic like me). New tires every race. New oil, new brake fluid. Just so it's running 100% every single time. They also check every single part through and through between races. Yeah it takes time, yeah it's really expensive... and YEAH, its necessary. I mean, unless you don't wanna win.

However, if you're prepared and eaten correctly. Then you have the confidence in yourself to push yourself. It wont hurt, it will just suck. It'le suck so good though, and you'll love it. Your muscles wont even go as far as your brain can put up with. Instead it wants them to do more, that's what sucks, not how bad their screaming at your desire to make them put out some effort. You know whats good for them, you gave them everything they need, tune out their cries and ride them till they collapse.They'll be better off because of it. Like a punk little preteen, you know whats good for them, you give them everything they need and an healthy dose of discipline. Eventually, that will turn into Self discipline, and that will turn them into something successful; rather than a potsmoking, job hopping, party binging 22 yr old living at home because he doesn't know what to do with his life. These kids will wake up tomorrow better, just like your muscles. You begin wishing you had more muscles, just so you could increase your daily intake of this suck. Embrace the suck, and the body can do amazing things, you just have guide it. Lead it. Tame it. Unleash it.

Comment

This some really great stuff guys.
              Originally posted by IRunMan View Post
              I think you will enjoy this quote Zeke:
              I did enjoy the quote! Where's it from? I recognized the first paragraph (Don Shipley?) But not the second. Thanks for sharing it.
              Pre-MEPS until June 2014

Comment

I push through things because I can't quit. I'm told that I've never been someone that quits. It may sound ****, but as a baby I would try and climb stairs, fall down, then get back up and try and climb them again, over and over, until my parents stopped me before I hurt myself. I get frustrated when I can't accomplish something that I wanted to, and I push even harder. Failure angers me: it makes me more resolute in my quest to accomplish a task. Rarely do I need self motivation. Rather I simply know that I'm going to finish the task at hand, and I do it. For me,mental self talk can help, but it can also allow thoughts of quitting to enter my mind. Don't get me wrong, it does have it's use, but when my mind is a brick wall with one task at hand, and no question if I will finish, then I know I won't quit a run early, or do less push-ups, I will go until I'm in pain, or I'm finished.

Comment

We are doing this because we think... scratch that..
                  WE KNOW we are the best, most capable of such a task. Its gotten to the point where you don't even need to size people up anymore... you just know that if that person wants to step it up... they better f****** bring it because I am your worst enemy when it comes to competing. I know I am willing to suffer harder and longer to win.. and you know what pain feels like? It feels like winning. When I ran track and cross country when I was younger, did I slow down when I had a lead so long I could walk to the finish line and still win? HELL NO, I'm gonna turn it up even harder...make that gap so wide you'd thought it would have been some kind of world record. Its good to be on top, its better to destroy your competition though. Its also one of the reasons why people hated competing against me in jiu jitsu, theres a real good chance i'm not going to tap (granted I would in case of the possibility of a serious injury that would keep me from being able to go to work that night)

the point is, I know we all train smart... but when It comes down to it being just a tired/mental state of exhaustion...
                  visualize a person next to you doing your workout...
                  visualize a competition....
                  visualize the win
                  execute the win

Comment

I have a friend of a friend by the name of Marshall Ulrich...he is considered by a lot of folks to be the King of Ultra-Endurance Racing. Look up "Badwater"...and you'll see his name all over the place. Even as he is now close to the age of 62, there's not a single one of you guys that could touch this guy in a long, extended, foot race in bad conditions. Marshall IS The Terminator...before Arnold ever got near that script. That said, Marshall was asked by a friend of mine to give some advice to the aspiring SEALs over on another board serving this community that no longer exists. This is what he came back with...

10. Expect a journey and a battle–

“Life is not always simple. Don’t think that it’s just going to be smooth and not a rocky road. Accept that in your mind and then you can deal with things.”

9. Focus on the present and set intermediate goals—-

“Don’t get too far ahead of yourself. Just stay in the present. If you’ve got some sort of problem…just deal with that. Take a deep breath and solve that one problem and then you can go on to others.”

8. Don’t dwell on the negative–

“I think it helps to step outside of ourselves and not live in our own space or our own head too much. Look at what’s happening out there and focus on even problems of the world or other people. It kind of takes that focus from ourselves.”

7. Transcend the physical–

“If you’ve got an injury, say you’ve twisted an ankle and you want to keep going–providing you’re not doing damage to yourself–take that focus off that ankle. You can keep going as long as you don’t get locked into thinking about it continuously. You can transcend that physical aspect.”

6. Accept your fate—

“Just accept it for what it is and take it one step at a time.”

5. Have confidence that you will succeed—

Recall experiences, “where you’ve had success in the past. It will give you confidence to go beyond what you normally thought you could.”

4. Know that there will be an end—

“There will be an end and we can go on to more fertile soil.”

3. Suffering is okay—

“That’s the human condition. We’re all going to suffer on one level or another.”

2. Be kind to yourself—

“If you’re running and you need to walk a little bit. That’s okay. Know that you have weaknesses just like anybody else.”

1. Quitting is not an option—

Everybody is going to think about quitting. I think about quitting. But you can’t let it overwhelm you. You can’t let it stop you from your success. And if you frame it in that way–that quitting is not an option–I think that’s the best thing to do.
                    Memorize THAT...

V

Comment

Just wanted to back V. If you haven't heard of him, look him up. The guy is incredible.
                      Pre-MEPS until June 2014

Comment

I think this is something that every single person on here goes through almost every workout... my thing is very simple. I literally just repeat the lyrics to whatever song it is.. "how bad do you want it". I repeat those words over and over in my head until im done. and when it gets REALLY bad I spew a word or two of the verse outloud, usually through clenched teeth. the way I see it is this whole life style comes down to "how bad do you want it"

Comment

Working...
                        X