Family life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family life

I didn't know where to post this thread, so I'm posting here. I am just wondering what the family life of a SEAL is like. I understand that it will be extremely difficult. I was just accepted into the Naval Academy so if I made it as a SEAL I would be an officer. How many years does a normal SEAL officer experience before he moves into staff jobs? As a SEAL operator, how many days are you away from your home base (on avg per year). I heard elsewhere that it is about 250 days out of a year. Does that sound about right?

Re: Family life

I will consult a SEAL officer and get back to you soon.
    Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
    35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Thank you Scott. This info will help me a lot. I've gone to different sources and this answer is hard to find.

Comment

Much like enlisted SEALs, officers are on the road quite a bit. Early in their careers, officers are assigned to Teams and deploy at least once every two years for at least six months. When they are not deployed, officers attend professional training courses, and education and leadership courses. With roughly six to eight years of operations behind him, an officer will begin to transition to staff jobs and deployments will be less frequent. However, even ashore an officer will often spend months away from home as he travels to various training sites or coordination events. I can't really give you an average number, but suffice to say that this career requires a lot of personal sacrifice. However, as a community, SEALs are very close-knitted and take care of each other and their families.
        Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
        35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Working...
        X