Mental Quotes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Quotes

Here are some quotes that wont necessarily help you get pumped up but rather make you think about why you want to become a SEAL or in a broader perspective join the armed forces.

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” -Lance Armstrong

“Only a life lived for others is worth living.” -Albert Einstein

Every man’s life ends the same way it is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another -Ernest Hemingway

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle; My lovingkindness and my fortress, My stronghold and my deliverer; My shield and He in whom I take refuge; Who subdues my people under me. -Psalm 144:1-2

The only thing that evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing.- Edmund Burke

Re: Mental Quotes

Great stuff dude.
    "Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them." -anonymous

"Circumstance does not make the man; it reveals him to himself." -James Allen

Comment

Hooah!

Comment

"No Fear"--avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure...life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by mmarino View Post
          Here are some quotes that wont necessarily help you get pumped up but rather make you think about why you want to become a SEAL or in a broader perspective join the armed forces.

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” -Lance Armstrong

“Only a life lived for others is worth living.” -Albert Einstein

Every man’s life ends the same way it is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another -Ernest Hemingway

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle; My lovingkindness and my fortress, My stronghold and my deliverer; My shield and He in whom I take refuge; Who subdues my people under me. -Psalm 144:1-2

The only thing that evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing.- Edmund Burke
          The last one is my favorite...Good stuff dude!

Comment

"Yeah, and though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil."

Out of the night that covers me,
            Black as the pit from pole to pole,
            I thank whatever gods may be
            For my unconquerable soul.
            In the fell clutch of circumstance
            I have not winced nor cried aloud.
            Under the bludgeonings of chance
            My head is bloody, but unbowed.
            Beyond this place of wrath and tears
            Looms but the Horror of the shade,
            And yet the menace of the years
            Finds and shall find me unafraid.
            It matters not how strait the gate,
            How charged with punishments the scroll,
            I am the master of my fate:
            I am the captain of my soul.
            -Invictus

"We will not apologise for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defence, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you." Barack Obama
            "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it." - Thucydides
            *08APR2013 SO Contract*

Comment

Most of my favorite quotes are excerpts from poems or song lyrics, if not the entire poem/song itself. Invictus was already posted, so here's another one that comes to mind, from Robert Browning's A Death In The Desert:

Progress, man's distinctive mark alone,
              Not God's, and not the beasts';
              God is, they are.
              Man partly is and wholly hopes to be.
              I stood and stared; the sky was lit,
              The sky was stars all over it,
              I stood, I knew not why,
              Without a wish, without a will,
              I stood upon that silent hill
              And stared into the sky until
              My eyes were blind with stars and still
              I stared into the sky.
              -Ralph Hodgson, "The Song of Honour"

Comment

The Man in the Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
                And the world makes you king for a day,
                Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
                And see what that man has to say.
                For it isn't your father or mother or wife
                Who judgement upon you must pass;
                The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
                Is the one staring back from the glass.
                Some people may think your a straight-shootin' chum
                And call you a wonderful guy,
                But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
                If you can't look him straight in the eye.
                He's the fellow to please, never mind all the rest,
                For he's with you clear up to the end.
                And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
                If the man in the glass is your friend.
                You may fool the whole world down the pathway of life
                And get pats on your back as you pass.
                But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
                If you've cheated the man in the glass.

-Peter "Dale" Wilbrow Sr.-
                "Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us."

-Winston Churchill-

EASY DAY
                -John Bailey-

Comment

Out of the Night

Out of the dark we came,
                  out of the sea.
                  Where the long wave broke on the shore,
                  As the day broke, and the night rode back,
                  there we stood on the land we would call home.
                  Out of the dark we came,
                  out of the night,
                  the first of many mornings amidst this new place.
                  When the sun rode back the mist,
                  we rose like a strong wave on land.
                  Now we were the people of this place.
                  "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands at times of comfort and convenience, but at times of challenge and adversity."

Comment

"Why tip toe through life, to arrive safely at death? If you're gonna be afraid to live, what's the point?"

"One week of pain for a life time of Pride" - Lt. Justin Legg

“Life is all about extremes” - Lt. Cnossen

The Ultra Man

"I'm different than most people...when I cross the finish line of a big race, I see that people are ecstatic, but I'm thinking about what I'm going to do tomorrow. It's as If my Journey is everlasting and there is no finish line" - David Goggins

Bullfight poem – JFK
                      Bullfight critics ranked in rows
                      Crowd the enormous Plaza full
                      But only one is there who knows
                      And he's the man who fights the bull.

The Man in the Arena - Theodore Roosevelt

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Comment

"I want to be the best. So whatever comes with that, I have to accept it." -- Sidney Crosby

I you know you want to be the best, then you know the consequenses that would come your way that would make you the best. It's not about just thinking you're the best because you volunteered for the toughest training in the world. It's about knowing you're the best because you have completed the training, and will complete whatever challenge that comes your way in the future.
                        "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

"You can take the most galant sailor, the most intrepid airman, the most audacious soldier. Put them at a table together, what do you get? What you get is the sum of their fears." -- Winston Churchill

What this quote is saying is that if these men were able to admit their fears, they would've realized that there was no reason to be ashamed of them.

Comment

Originally posted by corpsman_mkg View Post
                            "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands at times of comfort and convenience, but at times of challenge and adversity."
                            Hooyah, I like that one.

My all time favorite quote is;
                            "Let him who desires peace prepare for war."
                            "As sure as God
                            created black and white,
                            what's done in the dark,
                            will be brought to the light."
                            -Johnny Cash

"Let him who desires peace prepare for war."

Comment

When I was in high school, I remember attending the Pittsburgh Speaker Series with my old man. One of the speakers we had the pleasure of listening to in person was Jim Lovell, the flight commander of the Apollo 13 mission. His final remarks was a quote that has stuck with me ever since.

"There are three types of people in this world: There are people who make things happen. There are people who watch things happen. And there are people who just wonder what happened." -- Jim Lovell.

I truley believe that living the life of 'making things happen' is the life worth living.

Comment

Working...
                              X