Meditation (It works!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meditation (It works!)

When I was discharged, even though I knew I could re-enlist, I felt like I hit rock bottom. That was until I met Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, the first person to successfully bring meditation into mainstream medicine. I told him my situation, and he told me that meditation will help me bring inner peace to myself. I told him "Doctor, I don't want to lose my mind with this stuff. I still want to become a SEAL."He then told me, "What if you were able to find your mind?!" And he was right. When I read his book, Full Catastrophe Living, and from meeting him, he was able to convince me to have a greater interest and understanding of meditation. It is from meditation that I was able to find inner peace and happiness, and I've been jolly ever since.

Now, I know most of you are thinking, "What does this have to do with getting ready for BUDS, and becoming a SEAL?" Well, when I was first in the program, I was full of anger, recentment, and frustration. It was these feelings that compromised my ability to perform my duties in the Navy. Instead of filling myself up with more anger after being discharged, I wanted to find a solution to these problems, so that when I do go back, that I will be able to perform my duties better, and actually complete training. What I found with meditation is that when you fill yourself up with fear of failure, frustration, and anger, you become more and more emotional as the day goes along. Before you know it, your emotions get the best of you, and you won't be able to handle the pressure anymore. It simply becomes too great for you to handle. Through multiple meditation exercises, you can find inner peace with yourself, and before you know it, your fear of the future, and your fear of failure disappear. You're still aware of the stakes, but you don't tend to worry as much as other guys would.

Today, in Richard "Mack" Machowicz's book, Unlesh the Warrior Within, he explains how the mind can either be a warrior's greatest ally, or his worst enemy. If he understands his mind, and knows how to use it, he's invincable. For me, I plan to use my mind as an ally when I go back to training again. If you're interested in getting tips on how to get started with meditation, feel free to respond.
    "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Meditation (It works!)

Originally posted by bcowen09 View Post
    When I was discharged, even though I knew I could re-enlist, I felt like I hit rock bottom. That was until I met Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, the first person to successfully bring meditation into mainstream medicine. I told him my situation, and he told me that meditation will help me bring inner peace to myself. I told him "Doctor, I don't want to lose my mind with this stuff. I still want to become a SEAL."He then told me, "What if you were able to find your mind?!" And he was right. When I read his book, Full Catastrophe Living, and from meeting him, he was able to convince me to have a greater interest and understanding of meditation. It is from meditation that I was able to find inner peace and happiness, and I've been jolly ever since.

Now, I know most of you are thinking, "What does this have to do with getting ready for BUDS, and becoming a SEAL?" Well, when I was first in the program, I was full of anger, recentment, and frustration. It was these feelings that compromised my ability to perform my duties in the Navy. Instead of filling myself up with more anger after being discharged, I wanted to find a solution to these problems, so that when I do go back, that I will be able to perform my duties better, and actually complete training. What I found with meditation is that when you fill yourself up with fear of failure, frustration, and anger, you become more and more emotional as the day goes along. Before you know it, your emotions get the best of you, and you won't be able to handle the pressure anymore. It simply becomes too great for you to handle. Through multiple meditation exercises, you can find inner peace with yourself, and before you know it, your fear of the future, and your fear of failure disappear. You're still aware of the stakes, but you don't tend to worry as much as other guys would.

Today, in Richard "Mack" Machowicz's book, Unlesh the Warrior Within, he explains how the mind can either be a warrior's greatest ally, or his worst enemy. If he understands his mind, and knows how to use it, he's invincable. For me, I plan to use my mind as an ally when I go back to training again. If you're interested in getting tips on how to get started with meditation, feel free to respond.
    BCOWEN I have a sense of where you are coming from and have actually looked into meditationand yoga to relieve stress and enmotions, but have never had any time to perform meditation because of school and training. My questions are does meditation take a long time to master? and How long would it take to successfully perform a meditation session and I also believe that a mans mind can be his greatest ally or worst enemy.

Comment

20 minutes a day can make a difference. Anyone can carve out 20 minutes a day IF they are motivated to do so. Mastery is not a concern ... practice in and of itself is the priority. Mastery comes naturally.

Both the US Army and US Marine Corps have implemented mindfulness training programs, and the Army's is quite extensive with a high level of investment. Mindfulness training has been successfully conducted with good outcomes for special operations units, e.g. Joel and Michelle Levey's work with the 10th Special Forces. When you read **** Couch's account of dive training and the necessity of remaining calm to conserve oxygen and untie hoses, that's also about mental fitness. When you read about the importance of goal-setting, mental rehearsal with visualization, positive self-talk and arousal control with relaxed breathing, that's also about mental fitness. If you have ever tried to nail a bullseye at 200, 300 or more yards, you know about controlled breathing, relaxing, and letting the shot go. Kabat-Zinn's book "Wherever You Go, There You Are" is a good accessible text to get anyone started. I also think Joel and Michelle Levey's text "The Fine Arts of Relaxation, Concentration and Meditation" is exceptionally well-written and practical, and I prefer it over Kabat-Zinn's book.
      Tom Delaney
      St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Comment

Originally posted by rosin789 View Post
        BCOWEN I have a sense of where you are coming from and have actually looked into meditationand yoga to relieve stress and enmotions, but have never had any time to perform meditation because of school and training. My questions are does meditation take a long time to master? and How long would it take to successfully perform a meditation session and I also believe that a mans mind can be his greatest ally or worst enemy.

All you need is a few minutes out of the day to just sit down, relax, and just let everything go. This is only a 7 minute clip that could help you get started. You don't need to master it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHYKSYPoNg4. Remember, it wasn't the Zen Master who went to the Samurai, it was the Samurai that went to the Zen Master.
        "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Thnaks guys, Im going to check this stuff out and do some more research on it.

Comment

If I asked you to show me your mind, where would you point?

Comment

This is a 30-40 minute lecture on the cognitive neuroscience of mindfulness meditation. This is simply for everyone who prefers a more scientific explanation of how mindfulness training can help build your mental toughness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf6Q0G1iHBI

Comment

i have... experimented it meditation before, it was relaxing and took out some stress i might of had, but i found it hard to stick to.
                I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.

George S. Patton

Comment

Working...
                X