Fighting the cold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting the cold

I have an ectomorphic body type and have always hated the cold. As luck would have it I will be going to Coronado in the fall, so I will definitely be cold. I think this will be my greatest hurdle in BCT. I have been giving some thought to going ahead with my own cold water conditioning. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or experiences they would like to share. Thank you in advance.
    I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way.

-John Paul Jones November 1778

Re: Fighting the cold

Let me put it to you this way. I came from the hills of Northwestern Pennsylvania. I played hockey for years, so I traveled to places like Canada, Wisconson, Minnesotta, etc. But one day, I decided to travel down to my family beach house in North Carolina during the winter time to see how cold the ocean was. And let me tell ya, I never expected to be in that much pain from being wet.

I actually wouldn't recommend that you put yourself through mock surf torture drills. If you do so, you could risk getting hypothermia, and even frostbite. You may be able to recover from it, but those conditions would make you more susceptible to being cold in the future. The best you can do is just keep going through mental rehearsals on what to do mentally when they make you lay in the ocean. Use self talk, mental rehearsal, positive reinforcement, and remember to breath slowly and stay calm. Being in water that cold feels like a thousand knives stabbing you. It just hurts! When you do go through surf torture, just smile, laugh, and just do whatever you need to do mentally to stay fired up. HOOYAH!!!
    "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by bcowen09 View Post
      Let me put it to you this way. I came from the hills of Northwestern Pennsylvania. I played hockey for years, so I traveled to places like Canada, Wisconson, Minnesotta, etc. But one day, I decided to travel down to my family beach house in North Carolina during the winter time to see how cold the ocean was. And let me tell ya, I never expected to be in that much pain from being wet.

I actually wouldn't recommend that you put yourself through mock surf torture drills. If you do so, you could risk getting hypothermia, and even frostbite. You may be able to recover from it, but those conditions would make you more susceptible to being cold in the future. The best you can do is just keep going through mental rehearsals on what to do mentally when they make you lay in the ocean. Use self talk, mental rehearsal, positive reinforcement, and remember to breath slowly and stay calm. Being in water that cold feels like a thousand knives stabbing you. It just hurts! When you do go through surf torture, just smile, laugh, and just do whatever you need to do mentally to stay fired up. HOOYAH!!!
      To reply to the author, id say im in between meso and ectomorph, and the cold has never really bothered me too much.

Then again I come from the North East and vacation at the Jersey shore, and surf when its not ever really too warm... usually 52 to 72 degree water. Early in the summer its 52 to 58 degree water and later its gets warm at 60 to 70. I've never really been one to wear a wetsuit because I like the free movement however I do wear one occasionally but it doesn't fit right... Anyway you have to think about it as feeling good. Personally I'd rather be cold than too hot. I cannot stand being hot in school like wearing a sweatshirt and all that, I'd rather be a little chilly, because it keeps me awake, energetic, and feeling good.

And the water in Maine is really cold... In the summer, you're lucky if its 50 to 52 degrees. lol I spent one summer there, boogie boarding, the water made my balls numb, but it was fun and the waves were good and I stayed in for over an hour, probably closer to 2. So just concentrate on why you're there, and that its actually kind of fun.

Hope that helps
      Gordon

Comment

I wouldn't say running your own mock surf torture is a bad thing, just play it smart. For me, i live up in northern Idaho, and as of last week the lake was around 36 degrees. Me and the other SEAL DEPers in the area took advantage of this great winter weather and had some fun in the water. We planned it out, had a friend of ours (who is a certified first responder and life guard) watch over us, had a car ready to take us back, and dry clothes for our return.

We did 10 minutes in, 5 minutes out (air temp. high 30's), and then 5 minutes back in. It was miserable and it hurt, but hell thats what its all about isn't it? it was a little scary afterwards since we were dazed, muscle failure in the legs, and shaked for the better half of an hour. Sure, this may sound a little extreme, but we were being closely supervised. I honestly think its a good test of ones mental toughness, and a mental toughness developer, but just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
        X