"What did I get myself into?!"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What did I get myself into?!"

You see it on tv. You read about it. You hear about it from others who were there. Only after getting there do you get that grueling thought comes to mind, "What did I get myself into?!"

Even as you are on the plane headed towards RTC, your mind races. You get there, and your mind has completely different thoughts about what it's like as compared to what you thought about it when you first enlisted. You realize that you are a part of something much bigger than yourself. It's very real. You don't know your RDC's, and they don't know you. They don't care. They just want to make your lives a living hell. It's the exact same case with the BUDS instructors. They don't care about who you are or where you came from. The only thing they care about is that you play by their rules.

You expect, even want individual attention. That's not the case. All that they're looking at is the class as a whole. It's not the instructor yelling at you, and by you I mean you the individual, that scares you. It's the instructor yelling at the guy next to you, or the class as a whole that scares you. Once again, you immediately start to think, "What did I get myself into?!" The fact of the matter is, you knew exactly what you've gotten yourself into. You just didn't know how to react to it once you got there.
    "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: "What did I get myself into?!"

It's not what you do in the moment, but how you respond afterwards that defines who you are. When you reaach moments like that, where you start to say things like, "What did I get myself into?" you have two options, you either let it burn deep inside of you until you ultimately quit, or you shake it off, put a ****-eating grin on your face, and keep moving forward. If there was one thing I could suggest as an alternative thought to trace your mind, it would be "Embrace adversity and the suck that follows". Sure, the suck will keep coming but at least you can smile and have the attitude which will carry you through it with your class.

Comment

For a young guy, it can be very traumatic to have to leave home for good, and go off into military boot camp, then to BUDS. They've been living with the parents their entire lives. Yes, their parents probably taught them things like how to do the laundry, and to keep their rooms clean. But when they're actually presented with the situation that they have left home and are now living a very unfamiliar, and in some cases uncomfortable lifestyle, it's scary for them. It can be scary for the older guys too, but they tend to better cope with the situation because they're used to living on their own at college, or whatever they did after leaving home. I was one of those younger guys who was a little traumatized at first when I got to RTC. It was my first time living on my own, outside of my family's control, and I had no idea how to react to it. It's just one of those things where you can't learn it as a kid. You just have to experience it.

For the young guys out there, don't be discouraged about leaving home. You may not know it, or you don't want to know it, but it will hit you hard once you're on that plane headed towards RTC. At first, you can't wait to leave to off to training. But when you do, it's a very different emotion. When it does, remember that you're a man now, you can do this, and you will have the time of your life. HOOYAH!
      "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hooyah, and despite me being 13, I understand what you mean. I often think of it, how psyched you are to go, but if you think of what you feel as your going, you start to think of how surreal is all is. I mean, it is the stuff you read about, see on TV, and talk to people about. Even though you want to do it, you often don't think of the emotions you'll feel going through it. Anyways, that's how I like to think of it. I like to think of everything in the bigger picture, "If hard work pays off the easy work is worthless," think of what your going to get, not what you have to do to get it. Hooyah, great post.
        "As sure as God
        created black and white,
        what's done in the dark,
        will be brought to the light."
        -Johnny Cash

"Let him who desires peace prepare for war."

Comment

Originally posted by HunterAllen View Post
          Hooyah, and despite me being 13, I understand what you mean. I often think of it, how psyched you are to go, but if you think of what you feel as your going, you start to think of how surreal is all is. I mean, it is the stuff you read about, see on TV, and talk to people about. Even though you want to do it, you often don't think of the emotions you'll feel going through it. Anyways, that's how I like to think of it. I like to think of everything in the bigger picture, "If hard work pays off the easy work is worthless," think of what your going to get, not what you have to do to get it. Hooyah, great post.
          You're 13?! Geese man, you got a long way to go. It's great you're already considering about joining the SEALs, but really you should just be focusing on school, and just being a kid. You don't want to be all worried about your future right now. For someone of your age, it's way too early for that. Just go to school, have fun with the sports you're doing, and just be a kid. As for the SEALs, just keep the option in the back of your mind right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bcowen09 View Post
            You're 13?! Geese man, you got a long way to go. It's great you're already considering about joining the SEALs, but really you should just be focusing on school, and just being a kid. You don't want to be all worried about your future right now. For someone of your age, it's way too early for that. Just go to school, have fun with the sports you're doing, and just be a kid. As for the SEALs, just keep the option in the back of your mind right now.
            Let the kid dream, man. Some people decide this is what they want to do from really early on in their lives; it's not our job to tell them to put it on the back burner.

On the other hand, HunterAllen, you ARE pretty young in general. I will have to agree with bcowen09 that school should be your number one priority for the next few years. The decision on 'being a kid' for at least a few more years (until you're at least 16-17, since that's the earliest you can enlist) is up to you. The decision to either spend time with your friends after school, or to get a workout in, is entirely yours. Just realize that there'll be some great experiences you'll be missing out on. At the same time, I encourage you to always put out 110%, get on varsity teams, and never be afraid to take on new responsibilities.

But anyways, back on topic: I personally find the thought of flying into Great Lakes pretty exciting.
            "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Comment

Apologies, but when did I let on that I wasn't being a kid, I wasn't focusing on school? And I have decided what I want to do with my life, and no disrespect, but I am going to work for it no matter what anyone tells me. And in my opinion, I do a good job of balancing friends, school, and work outs. I have a lot of friends interested in military careers as well, so we hang out, work out, and have fun. And really, i'm not that young. You do realize that I only have 4 years, almost 3, now? I'm graduating High School and, if everything goes well, shipping off to BUD/S. That's not a whole lot of time to prepare for what is arguably one of the most difficult things you can do, military-wise. And just for the record, I have two cousins in the SEALs, both of whom began training younger than 13. Besides, this little bit of training now could really pay off in the long run. Hooyah.
              "As sure as God
              created black and white,
              what's done in the dark,
              -Johnny Cash

Comment

Alright man, geese man. Take a breather. If you made up your mind on what you want to do with your life, great. No one here is stopping you. No one said you need to start making friends, or do a better job with your life. No one said that you need to rethink your options. You don't need to take everything so personally. At BUDS, that's exactly how they want you to react. They're going to get personal with you to see if you'll crack. The SEALs don't want guys who will crack. If you want to be a SEAL, learn to take constructive critism, and don't take everythings so personally. I mean, I don't you, everyone in this forum doesn't know you. When you get to BUDS, the instructors won't know you. You still got quite a few years ahead of you, and you want to use those years to mature, so that when you do arrive at BUDS, you'll know how to react to stressful situations.

You're going into high school, and it'll fly by faster than you'll think. If you want to be a SEAL, great. Do your workouts, and keep the goal in mind. But at the same time, don't be so focused on becoming a SEAL that you'll neglect to do what most guys your age should be doing. Doing well in school, hanging out with your friends, picking up chicks, and what not. Just keep doing what your doing, and don't let anyone get to you.

You can be unhappy with these suggestions if you want, but later on, you'll probably look back on it and say, "They were right."

Comment

You're completely right, but your misinterpreting what I am saying, I didn't take it personally. I really do understand what your saying, but I like to focus on my goals, maybe it's just me, but I start to slack if I don't keep things inmind. And the working out, staying in shape is something I've done since I was about 10, I like to be fit. And heh, it doesn't hurt when I'm 'picking up chicks.' Heh. Well, thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind.
                  "As sure as God
                  created black and white,
                  what's done in the dark,
                  -Johnny Cash

Comment

This is completely off topic but would like to say is Thank you for all those that are deciding to serve our country.

Comment

Working...
                    X