College

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College

Hey everyone, currently I’m being covered by my Dads GI Bill, but I’m only eligible for 1 year coverage. So I’m looking for options right now at the age of 19 as a Freshman and I know I want to join the Teams around 23-24 years of age.

However, if I am to pay off college without going in debt I need some plans. I could join the military right now, but my biggest concern is getting injured and being Medically DQ’d from the Navy when I attempt to join the Teams. I have some solutions in mind, but I’m looking for more.

So far I’ve thought of the:

-Reserves
    -Scholarships
    -Law Enforcement/ Gov Jobs
    -Credity Heavy Semester, Graduate Faster

Look into having your degree paid for by military in exchange for a commision. Forget what its called. Nesep or something.

Are you trying to enter as an officer?

If not don't waste your time in college. Just enlist.

If you want rank then get an Associates degree and you'll enter as an E-3 and quickly make Petty Officer.
    "Lord, let me not prove unworthy of my brothers."

"Ace Ventura: If you were me, then I'd be you, and I'd use *your* body to get to the top. You can't stop me no matter who you are!"

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Comment

• Robatto
      Robatto commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah,I plan to go Enlisted. I haven't joined yet because I do not feel ready. I understand I might not ever be ready, but right now, I think there's a lot I can learn in the coming years before I join.

Robatto,

I don't know much about the reserves or LEO type stuff, but could give some advice on the other two. As far as scholarships go, there are tons out there. If you google enough, you'll be able to find plenty to apply for and your school/state may even have some. If you put in a lot of work sourcing and applying for them, you may be able to get enough money to pay off 4 years depending on the cost of the school you go to.

As for the credit heavy semester option, this could work but I'm not sure if you understand it fully. Unless you're in a special situation that I don't know about, most colleges charge tuition based on the credits you're taking. In that case even if you graduate early you'll still have taken the same amount of credits and still paid the same. (Although you would save on room and board which I touch on below) That being said, the best option here might be to load up two (or three if summer counts) really heavy credit semesters in the year where you're covered by the GI bill to maximize the benefit of it and then, once you're no longer covered, shift down and do some really low credit semesters were you work basically full time outside of school to pay for it. (That will also do wonders for maturity and mental strength) You might ultimately finish a semester or two late, but you'll be much better off debt wise.

Honestly it also really comes down to the school you're at. The more expensive it is, the more debt you'll be in. Also, tbh if you're going to a college away from home you're probably looking at paying as much for room and board as you do for tuition. It would be much cheaper for you to continue to live at home, though it's understandable that you might not want to, so if you do live away look into being an RA. Sure you have to live in the dorms with a bunch of freshman, but at many colleges RAs live rent free and sometimes get a food stipend.

Comment

• Robatto
      Robatto commented
      Editing a comment
      I forgot to include this, but I have already used 8 out of the 12 months that my Dad's GI Bill gives me. I am taking summer classes, but this was very sudden when I was informed. There was some miscommunication and I thought I would be covered with all 36 months, but unfortunately that is not the case. So after the summer is finished, I have to act on a plan on how I plan on finishing the remaining semesters. Nonetheless, I really appreciate all your responses. Its great stuff from this community and it'll probably help others facing similar issues.

I'm in the Air Guard right now. They're paying for my school and teaching me skills in my job while I work out and enjoy my state before I transfer to another branch and go active duty. The benefits are pretty great and even though the service requirement is technically 6 years you can easily get out and go active beforehand. The benefits vary depending on where you live. I wouldn't recommend reserves it's not as flexible and in my state the benefits wouldn't fully cover a degree. So Guard is what I'd recommend, it's working pretty well for me. It sure beats getting into debt and working full time through college while trying to fit in PT.

Comment

Also some of the training in the Guard has counted as credits towards my degree. Making a 3 year degree very possible. Good luck with whatever you do.

Comment

• Forestman
        Forestman commented
        Editing a comment
        It all depends on your job. I got helicopter crew chief. My job revolves around 6 HH-60s used for search and rescue in my state. A few deploy with some PJs every couple years. They only take a few of the crew chiefs. If I wanted I could volunteer, but it isn't required and most stay. It all depends on the job and the specific base the job is at. You'd have to talk to a recruiter in your state. The nice thing about the Guard is you can actually do a base tour, meet future teammates, and see the job location first hand before you sign anything. Reserves are quite different than Guard. You can get injured doing anything but most of the jobs are
        pretty low key.
        *EDIT* In response to BearPole's comment, I personally don't plan on cross rating. I plan to get out and then apply as prior service. Also as a Guardsman you are much less likely to deploy than a Reservist depending on your job.

• Robatto
        Robatto commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking Medical routes, if you have any info on that. But yeah, I know you can get situated with local hospitals, which sounds like a good deal for me to finish college and do other things.

I’ve already tried visiting Air Force Recruiting Offices today, so thanks again for the info. I’m really taking your stuff to heart. I just don’t want them to fool me into signing something I don’t want or has hidden statements.

By the way, how long was it before you were able to qualify for school assistance? Including basic and specialty schools, etc. I’m just guesstimating when I can return to school. I’m aiming for Spring 2019 at least, but we’ll see.

• Forestman
        Forestman commented
        Editing a comment
        A friend of mine is in medical. It's very hard to get into in my state. 9 out of 10 women who walk in want medical, only 1 statistically gets it. Most of the Guard gets its medical quota from guys coming from active duty. It's not likely to get it through Guard, but it's always possible. It varies extremely depending on the state and the base you want. Air Force Recruiting office in my state was completely separate from the Air National Guard. You don't want reserves. Also the Guard is a lot more open and *probably* wont try to con you.

For me it was immediately once I got back. If you can try to find a job that you like that also comes with the kicker, which is an extra $300 something a month of pay if you're in school.

For you to start the 2019 spring semester, you'd have to try and join immediately, and then if that works get an opening to your job's school by some chance immediately. I wouldn't count on it. Some schools only have several classes a year and only a few slots for Guard. You could get lucky though. It depends on the state. Find a Air National Guard recruiter, (not Air Force) and he/she will know about the particulars of your state. There might not be any medical positions. There might be a lot. It depends. I'm happy to help. Good luck with whatever you do.

You go join the Guard. Good luck crossrating to SEAL. Be cautious. Obviously you'll potentially be deployed its called the Reserves....you know like the Reserve unit to be deployed....

okay you wanna go enlisted. Get an associates and enter as E3. You don't need a dammed degree to enlist. Just have no medical issues, **** in a cup, pass ASVAB scores and be able to run and swim like your being pursued.

You wanna learn about the world and life. Go move on your own, work a job, hopefully one similair to military work and become ready by teaching yourself about all Steve miller talks about in the Joker. Get out of the colleges in the US that are raising anti-gun and anti-freedom libtard commies. That and learn to wrench on things and build. Once your gut is on fire go tell a recruiter you'd like to sign up.

Just enjoy life man, there will always be wars to fight sadly necause evil mf's keep showing their pig noses. You are a more capable and knowledgeable operator the older you become. Of course honing battle related skills assists but do not feel you need to rush into becoming a Frogman. I can say this confidently... The NSW community does not want guys who saw Lone Survivor and just wanna be called a SEAL. They want guys who will live as SEALs, who will stay in for career lengths not the minimum term and then exit. They want guys who will enrich the community.

The human operator is NSW's most valued asset. Without them they don't exist. If you want to become an Operator in the true sense know this. It doesn't end upon enlistment term completion. There are tasks and missions to be completed world wide and someones gotta do it. On the homeland and abroad assist in protecting whether enlisted or not you can do your part.

As far as being ready goes you will know when. I thought I was, but not yet and I am 24. Need to help eradicate the communism spreading on the homeland. Oh boy do I constantly think of pursuing an NSW rate, its engrained in me.

You'll know when is right, don't rush and educate yourself outside of what colleges teach you. Most colleges just teach you to be a good employee. Not a complete knowledgeable and capable human, the type NSW seeks.

"Ace Ventura: If you were me, then I'd be you, and I'd use *your* body to get to the top. You can't stop me no matter who you are!"

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Comment

• Robatto
        Robatto commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on man. Haha, got my panties in a bunch. I’m doing my own business on the side and it’s definitely a different mindset with my mentors assistance, so I’m not worried about income or whatever. However, I’m not gunna talk about business...

But for now I’m just going to college just to do it. I like to finish what I start and since I already started college, I’m thinking if anything can help, Psychology is easy and can help with PTSD or teammate stress. I’m going Enlisted anyways, but that’s not my reason for going to college.

I think it might help me mature a little better. It’s just a really expensive price for maturity.

I wish you the utmost skill in your endeavours. Forge your path and shape yourself into the man you forsee yourself to be.

If you feel you should do something because you believe you will mature. Do it, and kick A**.

Kokoro - a Japanese term referring to the unification of your heart and mind, to act as a whole. Its proven your heart sends more signals to brain that brain to heart. People are starting to figure out in the medical world that each and every organ may play vital roles in decision making. Especially your little head hahahaha.... But in all decision you make feel with your heart if it is a good move. Think logically with your mind to see if it is the proper move. Unify them as Kokoro teaches and make every decision with Heart and Mind.

That and follow your gut, the solarplexus knows.

Hooyah

Comment

Working...
      X