How do I build mental toughness?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I build mental toughness?

Hey fellas, I've been active on this forum for a while now. I'm 16 and as humiliating as it may sound I know for a fact that if I went to BUD/s right now I would fail miserably. I would surely crumble. Mental toughness is something I lack, I need some advice, badly. I wanna join within the next 5-6 years and I know i'm not ready to go in. What are y'alls advice on building mental toughness? Thanks.

-Garrett

Don't rush into it. You have plenty of time to grow and mature. The person you will be at 23-24 will be completely different than the person you are now. Go to college or spend time learning a trade and working for a little while after high school. There is nothing wrong with trying civilian life out for a while and learning how to be an adult. If the desire to join is still there after trying civilian life, then join. Do things that you don't want to do, whether it's cleaning your house, going to the gym when you're 'not feeling it', knocking out that task that you have been putting off, etc. Study the 'big four' of mental toughness: goal setting, mental rehearsal, self-talk, and arousal control. Mental toughness is built through facing adversity and getting back up every time. By taking time to be an adult you will learn to cope with failure and emerge a stronger person. Surround yourself with good people, advance your education, and do something that you don't want to do every day.

Comment

I was in your shoes at 16 but I took my parents' advice and went to a regimented college, where I faced much adversity over the course of four years. I grew stronger while I was there by training with other students with a common goal and experiencing numerous failures, which I have overcome. I graduated and have been working a civilian job since, where my desire to join has not faded. I can attest to the fact that I am a better person now, at 24, than I was at 16, and feel much more prepared to join. Mental toughness will be built over time, through life experiences and overcoming adversity. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions and feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt since I have not been to BUD/S yet. I wish you the best.

Comment

I have a suggestion, take out that BS in your youtube bio and Instagram.

Comment

• GarrettHolliman
          GarrettHolliman commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sorry, what's wrong with having that? And I don't have any such thing in my Instagram bio, check for yourself @garretthollimann

• JackMan7
          JackMan7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Your youtube bio has it, and what do you mean whats wrong with it? There two types of people who want to be SEALS..... The people who acuatly wanna be frogmen or people who wanna say they are.

• GarrettHolliman
          GarrettHolliman commented
          Editing a comment
          Please tell me where I said I was a SEAL???? Please tell me. Don't assume anything you don't know what runs through my mind and you don't know what I am and am not capable of and you sure as **** don't know what I want. I have not claimed to be a SEAL anywhere I am just an aspiring SEAL. That's all, so I politely ask you shut it. Don't make ignorant assumptions such as that. If you aren't a SEAL or any former service member then don't talk to me like you know, have a nice day.

Originally posted by GarrettHolliman View Post
        Hey fellas, I've been active on this forum for a while now. I'm 16 and as humiliating as it may sound I know for a fact that if I went to BUD/s right now I would fail miserably. I would surely crumble. Mental toughness is something I lack, I need some advice, badly. I wanna join within the next 5-6 years and I know i'm not ready to go in. What are y'alls advice on building mental toughness? Thanks.

-Garrett
        Hey bro, I am also 16. I believe I am somewhat mentally tough... However, my problem is finding the time to workout. Recently I challenged myself to "quit" youtube and workout more for 40 days. I am happy to say that I crushed it! I learned a lot about myself in that short amount of time, and I believe I became tougher mentally. My advice to you is to do something similar- stop doing something that usually makes you comfortable and replace it with something demanding for a while. You will most likely see the same results that I did. Basically force yourself out of a comfort zone for a while, and you will become stronger. (I'm not saying that you have to "break a habit" - you can go back to whatever you stopped, as I did with youtube.) Hope this helps a little!

Comment

Thanks y'all.

Comment

Do hard things man, challenge yourself every time you can. Thom Shea recommends his readers (he was a SEAL) to walk for 24 hours straight and to only stop, briefly when they need to eat/drink/dump. Just don't stop because of lethargy/adversity. I know a kid who graduated high school and walked the whole Appalachian trail. He wasn't very mentally tough beforehand, but he was much more confident afterwards. An experience like that is valuable.

Comment

GarrettHolliman Chances are you probably seen some of my posts from the last two years on this forum and I'll be honest with you that the "trajectory" of my life had changed since I had some adversity that prevented me from shipping last year. I'm going to be honest with you, as your high school years wind down, I want you to consider pursuing some life experience. Doesn't matter if it's a university, junior college, or the work force, it'll strengthen your mind power to deal with certain challenges in your daily life. After I was discharged from DEP, I decided to head back to school and I'm about to be done with my first semester. So far, I feel more stronger mentally/emotionally than my high school self due to the lifestyle change of leaving home and setting a new routine for yourself. The responsibilities you'll be in charge of is countless; for it's subjects like time management, your health, and your finances. Sometimes it is a grind to juggle the routine of maintaining an exercise schedule while studying various subjects in the courses I'm taking. At your age man, if I got to do it all over again I defiantly wish I could've spent more time on my athletics and college prep. I'm telling you man to do that instead of overthinking this goal because that is wasted energy that you could be putting into something that will prepare you for the rigors of BUD/S or any endeavor you choose to pursue in your life. Knowing people from various backgrounds who successfully completed BUD/S and the RASP pipeline, they all told me the same thing: "There is NO secret sauce to success. The fortitude you develop is from past experiences(good and bad). When the adversity strikes in your desired pipeline, your mindset will take care of the rest. Take your time and do it right."

Comment

What Roboscout said 100x. Very similar things happened to me.

You have to learn how to rewire your mind to make yourself what you want to become.Take David Goggin's advice for example, do something you don't want to do everyday. This requires a very personal analysis of yourself. Do the thing that scares and humbles you. And most importantly, start thinking how you envision the best version of yourself thinking. You already know what future you would say. Thinking then leads to action. Years of that will prepare you. I don't suggest going to BUD/S till you're on fire with passion and confidence. Any slight problem you have whether physical, personal, or mental will come out at BUD/S. Our true selves come out when exposed to suffering. As long as you never give up, you'll be successful, no matter what happens. Good luck man.

Comment

Working...
              X