Announcement

Collapse

Scout Team Road Trip

Would you be interested in attending an event to find out more about us and maybe get in a little workout? We're putting together a list of places for a road trip. PM Scott Williams (Admin)and tell him your location.
See more
See less

The **** mornings & individual training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The **** mornings & individual training

In short, the **** mornings seem to be killing me at the moment. My sleep schedule is kind of screwed up and even when I manage to get up about mid-morning, I am still not motivated to do much, until further on in the day, when it is impractical/less beneficial to try to run, swim, and strength/conditioning all in a row.

I was wondering what others do to get themselves going in the mornings to hit whatever workout they have planned? Is it just falling into the routine? Or do you have things that motivate you to get moving (especially when it comes to individual training like running or swimming).

And please, no asinine comments about "wanting it badly enough", I can assure you, I WANT THIS. I do one WOD (sometimes two) a day and strength train after for around 5-6 days a week, but I am trying to space my training out throughout the day, and am just having trouble getting going in the mornings and doing the more individualized training running/swimming (though I have been doing both intermittently).

So in short, what little things do you do that get you started in the morning? (because I am stoked once I get to the box and have others to compete against, but the mornings and individual stuff just seem to take a bit more to get going).

Re: The **** mornings & individual training

It sounds stupid and this isn't being asinine, but you just have to get up. Set your alarm and no matter what get out of bed. You say you want this, but everyone here wants it to some extent. If I told you I'd kill you if you didn't get out of bed in the morning, you'd get up. If you're Moto like your name suggests you should be getting up because you know it's worth it. Get up healthy or sick, it won't be the best for your physical training, but it will give you a level of discipline that will prove more valuable than anything else.

I have one rule about waking up. No matter what, when my alarm goes off I get out of bed. I can stay up as late as I want, but I know I'll pay for it so I don't. Anyway if you wanted to get up as much as you wanted to live, you'd get up.
    My Training Blog - http://jag5543.blogspot.com/

Comment

Listen to music, possibly cadence, take a cold *** shower(you will be awake after that :P), possibly watch videos to get you motivated if you have to, and eat energizing foods like bananas and other fruits. Not necessarily in that order.

Comment

Yea man you just gotta wake up and start working out right away, it sucks but once you start working out its not bad at all

Comment

If anything get up early one day and try to make it to 8-10pm and sleep, I would say 8 if you got up like 6-8am, the longer you're awake the more sleep you need. Sleep deprivation although practically used in BUD/S, isn't healthy or fun. Taking cold showers is just ****, eff that. Why make your mornings miserable when you can fix it in one night and get on a 5-6am schedule, before breakfast you go for a run, don't even count it as a workout. Then eat breakfast and do a swim or lift, whatever you have planned. Now isn't the time to be making yourself uncomfortable and hindering your gains. Get the right rest, on the right schedule, with the right workout, eat right. If you're tough you're tough, nothing you do is going to make you mentally tougher, but you can improve your physical toughness and in turn that affects the breaking point of your mental toughness. Makes sense?

Comment

You sound like my aunt. She told me it is the most beneficial to wake up early and work out. Well my sleep schedule used to be kinda like yours. I would wake at dinner go to bed at breakfast. I was running at midnight and 6am. It was wonderful because I can go further in the cold. You kinda almost sound like your saying you have depression. Man just eat right, do push ups right when your feet touch the ground. If those two things don't help go to the doctor cause it sounds like depression.

Comment

Dude, just stop. There is no way you are qualified to diagnose depression especially through the internet.

Original Poster:

I have a screwed up sleep schedule as well between family obligations and picking up extra shifts at work because we are understaffed. You're just going to have to deal with some morning sucking more than others. On those days really get into your warmup before working out as it will seriously help jump start you. It does for me at any rate.

Comment

Ok Ryknow, you want to go there, let's go there. Do not PM me again though, I'll just delete it.

Ryknow's pm to me
                Originally posted by Ryknow
                Man I watch dr.Phil I've heard people talk about stuff lol if you can't read what he typed and apply it to things you've seen then umm your just funny man read what he typed and tell me it doesn't sound like a commercial on depression!
                Now, I know that I (even though I am a health care professional with several years in my field which associates regularly with the psych dept in my hospital) have no basis to ever diagnose depression in anyone, EVER. Now, to Dr. Phil, the dude has no psychiatric license. He's a PhD who did his dissertation on Rheumatoid Arthritis.

What it sounds like to me is the MotoJ, like a great many others in this day and age, does not get sufficient sleep at night and is therefore not a "morning person". That sucks, I used to be one and 2nd shift work has changed that. The thing is I still get up and go. After the last 3 months of steady earlier mornings I've gotten to the point where I like my morning routine alot more. It just takes time and effort Moto, like anything else you really want to work.

Ryknow, I am not trying to beat you down. I have no interest in making you feel bad, put down, etc. I do think you need to read more and post less. Hell I do as well at times, the thing is I recognize and do so at those times. Calm down man.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryknow
                  You will never talk to another guy as calm as I am. The whole thing on diagnosing him over the Internet is possible. Just like me talking to you right now.
                  No, diagnosis via the internet for depression is a dangerous and idiotic venture. Trying to do so when you have absolutely no credentials in psychiatry is again, dangerous and idiotic. If someone were to take any of your advice resultant of you saying this then a. they'd be ****, but b. you would potentially be liable for charges depending on whether anything occurred that harmed them. I don't have awesome PST scores like some of these guys do. My run in particular needs to decrease drastically but I haven't commented on anything I don't have some first hand experience with in any physical training either through recent endeavors or during HS and college athletics and I certainly don't try to diagnose issues anybody is having. No one else here, even one who is a doctor, ever does this.

Do not PM me anymore. I am getting the strong feeling that you are merely trolling internet boards. Goodbye.

Comment

Originally posted by Motojunky View Post
                    In short, the **** mornings seem to be killing me at the moment. My sleep schedule is kind of screwed up and even when I manage to get up about mid-morning, I am still not motivated to do much, until further on in the day, when it is impractical/less beneficial to try to run, swim, and strength/conditioning all in a row.

I was wondering what others do to get themselves going in the mornings to hit whatever workout they have planned? Is it just falling into the routine? Or do you have things that motivate you to get moving (especially when it comes to individual training like running or swimming).

And please, no asinine comments about "wanting it badly enough", I can assure you, I WANT THIS. I do one WOD (sometimes two) a day and strength train after for around 5-6 days a week, but I am trying to space my training out throughout the day, and am just having trouble getting going in the mornings and doing the more individualized training running/swimming (though I have been doing both intermittently).

So in short, what little things do you do that get you started in the morning? (because I am stoked once I get to the box and have others to compete against, but the mornings and individual stuff just seem to take a bit more to get going).
                    you need to plan your workouts around your schedule in the day (for example if you have school or work you need to decide whether to train before or after). If you're going for morning workouts it won't hurt you to have a cup of coffee in the morning with breakfast. Other than that it's just routine. It's hard for the first day but once you fall into routine you should be fine.

Comment

Motojunky...i had the same problem starting out. i get up at 5 and go swim 6 days a week..i have school after that on weekdays so i do the rest of my workout after my sport practices. when i first started swimming i hated gettin up extra early to workout, but now that iv been doing it for a while i look forward to it. what really helped for me is finding the positives in it. instead of thinkin "its too early..this sucks" just think about why youre workin out early, and you will feel like it is well worth it. you just have to get into a pattern of doing it often and youll be fine.
                      "When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."- Tecumseh

Comment

also using motivational videos help me out when im feelin lazy...i downloaded a few specific ones on my phone that i can watch wherever.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX39J_YyKbs ...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3g-RvC-iA ....these are a few of my personal favorites.
                        "When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."- Tecumseh

Comment

I just wanted to bring this post back up for some of our newer members. I've downloaded the "I am a Champion" speech and added it to my workout playlist on my iPod. But I feel as though alot of ppl have the problem of sleeping in.

Comment

This is an interesting topic that I have experience with. The solution to the problem of getting up and working out right away is to just ******* do it. There is no way around it. Your body is just used to not working out until later on in the day. Eventually, your body will not only get used to an earlier schedule, but you will "need" to work out/your body will expect it. That's all it is, just getting used to it. I think it actually better physiologically to work out intensely in the morning and do a more mild one in the evening. This will actually help with recovery.

Comment

I don't think there's one way that works for everyone, but what works for me is getting out of bed, doing 50 push ups, THEN turning off my alarm clock.
                              Seems like a good idea to post the stage of training you are currently in:
                              Pre-MEPS until June 2014

Comment

Working...
                              X