Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I be worried about putting on some pounds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I be worried about putting on some pounds?

I'm currently in my senior year of high school , Im 6ft 160lbs I have been focused on building my running and swimming endurance lately I have been feeling that I need to put some weight on because of me being 160lbs which I see to be small or "skinny'' I just wanted to get some insight if trying to put on some weight on would be beneficial or not my current Mock Pst scores are :

9:21
    9:04

Great scores you have. The drawback of adding weight is you lose your speed, but you will most likely gain some muscle. Be comfortable at whatever your weight is doing all the exercises necessary. Having a little extra may be beneficial when you are freezing cold though. I would probably rather be a little lighter in order to make it easier for bodyweight exercises. Good luck!

Comment

Better to be someone who is a 'small guy' than someone who is a 'big guy' if you ask me. When I was younger I was scrambling to do everything I could to get on to the New Marines Special Operations Command. They weighed the benefits of being light versus being on the heavier end-- I know most guys are short some are tall too but for you and me, 188-201 or higher would be the bigger guy. Again it is better to be that small guy and there tends to be less of them. Stay away from people orr things that will get you in trouble. You are 6'0 160? You actually need to LOSE weight. I am almost 3 inches taller than you. You need to weigh 150 to 155 or 149. Closer you get to 150 the better. If you are anything like me(not saying that you are), you will have a hard time ever getting to the point where you are underweight. I come from a family where everyone had a lot of degrees, and there was always too much food and soda around(especially all of my favorites). When I was in high school, I was 6'2 155. Weight tends to go o up after youre done with school!
      Last edited by OuterHeaven; 04-28-2019, 01:57 PM. Reason: Punctual correction

Comment

I personally disagree with the idea that you are overweight. I am 6' even and 190 lbs! Guess where I am when my track team does conditioning? I'm consistently in the top 15% leading the pack on our team. Don't let some number tell you what you can or can't do. You wanna be big? That's okay, somebody's gotta carry the big guns, but you better make sure you stay fast too brother. Best of luck to you.

Comment

I think being concerned about a certain weight is thinking in the wrong direction. The strongest correlation with hell week success is run performance, not body mass index. That being said, a certain amount of strength is definitely required but body weight does not necessarily correlate with said strength. I'd say if you can meet the following standards with regards to the following exercises included in the Naval Special Warfare Human Performance Assessment, you'd have a much better indicator of how prepared you might be.
          • Standing Long Jump: >90in
          • 25lbs Pull-up: 13-15 reps
          • Bodyweight Bench: 10-14 reps
          • Deadlift 1RM: 1.75 x BW (body weight)
          • 5-10-5 Agility 4.4-4.8 seconds
          • 300yd Shuttle Run <60 seconds
          • 3 Mile Run 18-19 min
          • 800m Swim w/ Fins 12-14 min
          Now, some may say this is jumping the gun and that you should only be concerned with the PST for now, but I'd argue that the PST is not by itself the best indicator of success. The PST does not account significantly for strength (the calisthenics are more endurance than actual physical strength) and there is in fact a certain range for these exercises that has been indicative of success in SO candidates.

Long story short, don't worry about how much you weigh, worry about how you perform. That being said, lower weight means easier run/swim, more weight/muscle means more strength. Correlation to BUD/S success: Run > Swim > Strength/Calisthenics. I know which I'd choose.

Source https://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-speeds-reps-distances-that-correlate-to-hell-week-success.html

Comment

How will this extra weight benefit you, or increase your scores?

I don't know the answer. There very well may be one.

But if there's no clear answer to that, then that itself is the clear answer.

Comment

Don’t worry about your weight, do what you have to do to get optimal PST scores and fitness.

Comment

Working...
              X