SEAL team election

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEAL team election

This might be a stupid question but after you complete training how do you pick what SEAL team to go too. Or do you just get assigned to?

Re: SEAL team election

Originally posted by mmarino View Post
    This might be a stupid question but after you complete training how do you pick what SEAL team to go too. Or do you just get assigned to?
    I believe you get assigned/people ask for you (depending on how well you perform :P)
    "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Comment

Originally posted by mmarino View Post
      During 2nd phase you write down on a sheet of paper what coast you want to be stationed at and what team. If your a pipe hitter your instructors will usually guide you into a team they served at. If you excel at 2nd phase and do well during 3rd and SQT your usually sent to SDV school in FL. (3-4months) then out to Hawaii...in the end it doesn't really matter what you request for because the needs of the Navy always comes first. P.S. Just focus on getting into the U.S. Navy and out to BUD/S. you can worry about breacher, dive supervisor, sniper or Devvy Darkside after you completed a few deployments in the teams.
      - this is all coming from a personal friend of mines who is an real old frog

Comment

Blackshark is essentially correct. Your desires, your instructors' inputs, and Team needs dictate assignments.
        Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
        35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Just a question I was curious about, I know the location differs of course, but other than 'SEAL Team 6', which I doubt is as different as people like to think, are there really any big differences between the SEAL Teams?
          "As sure as God
          created black and white,
          what's done in the dark,
          will be brought to the light."
          -Johnny Cash

"Let him who desires peace prepare for war."

Comment

Originally posted by HunterAllen View Post
            Just a question I was curious about, I know the location differs of course, but other than 'SEAL Team 6', which I doubt is as different as people like to think, are there really any big differences between the SEAL Teams?
            Each SEAL team has a specialized theater of war, although essentially, they can work anywhere around the globe. For example, SEAL Team One is (South?)Eastern Asia Theatre, SEAL Team Two is Arctic Warfare, one of the SEAL Teams' theater is South America, etc. But like I said, they pretty much deploy to anywhere in the world where they are needed.
            "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Comment

All SEAL Teams are deployable anywhere in the world. Pre-deployment training varies due to projected theater of war, but they are not permanently 'specialized' for one geographic area. Again, there is no SEAL Team 6.
              Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
              35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Williams View Post
                All SEAL Teams are deployable anywhere in the world. Pre-deployment training varies due to projected theater of war, but they are not permanently 'specialized' for one geographic area. Again, there is no SEAL Team 6.
                It's DEVGRU isn't it? Alot of people refer to it as SEAL Team 6 though, which is why I put it in quotations. Correct me if I'm wrong, I may have received some false information.
                "As sure as God
                created black and white,
                what's done in the dark,
                will be brought to the light."
                -Johnny Cash

"Let him who desires peace prepare for war."

Comment

Originally posted by HunterAllen View Post
                  It's DEVGRU isn't it? Alot of people refer to it as SEAL Team 6 though, which is why I put it in quotations. Correct me if I'm wrong, I may have received some false information.
                  It's actually recently changed to a classified name. It is no longer known as DEVGRU, supposedly.
                  SEAL Team 6 was 'dissolved' after being around for only a few years, and was replaced by DEVGRU. People still refer to DEVGRU as SEAL Team 6, although it is technically incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Williams View Post
                    Did they used to specialize in specific theaters? Because I know I read something about guys who are fluent in Spanish were almost always assigned to a specific Team, but I can't remember which one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                      It's actually recently changed to a classified name. It is no longer known as DEVGRU, supposedly.
                      SEAL Team 6 was 'dissolved' after being around for only a few years, and was replaced by DEVGRU. People still refer to DEVGRU as SEAL Team 6, although it is technically incorrect.
                      I'm guessing you got that information off of wikipedia. When Scott Williams says there is no SEAL Team 6, he doesn't mean that SEAL Team 6 is the incorrect name. He doesn't mean that the real name is classified. What he means is that the unit itself doesn't exist. There is no SEAL 6, there is no DEVGRU. Just like there is no Delta Force. As far as I know, they're just myths.
                      "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

All,

Read your statement of agreement in order for you to be in this forum. Do not discuss information that may be classified on this forum. Failure to comply will result in your privileges being revoked.

If you don't know if it is, or is not classified, then do not discuss it here. Chances are that it is classified!!!!!!

Just like you created a profile to get in here, so can people who do not have the clearance to read what you are writing about.

Senior Chief Gio
                        Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

Former SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
                        U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL

Comment

Originally posted by NCCS GIO View Post
                          All,

Read your statement of agreement in order for you to be in this forum. Do not discuss information that may be classified on this forum. Failure to comply will result in your privileges being revoked.

If you don't know if it is, or is not classified, then do not discuss it here. Chances are that it is classified!!!!!!

Just like you created a profile to get in here, so can people who do not have the clearance to read what you are writing about.

Senior Chief Gio
                          Right. Sorry Chief.

Comment

Shutting up, Senior Chief.
                            "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                              Right. Sorry Chief.
                              Senior Chief* Didn't notice that I didn't type it.

But anyways, yes I got that information from wikipedia, because I wanted to double check to make sure I had remembered some Team history correctly, and I saw that little bit that I didn't know. Sorry for any mis-information.

Comment

Working...
                              X