Announcement

Collapse

Scout Team Road Trip

Would you be interested in attending an event to find out more about us and maybe get in a little workout? We're putting together a list of places for a road trip. PM Scott Williams (Admin)and tell him your location.
See more
See less

Staying Awake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying Awake

I honestly dont worry that much about Hell Week because I passionately believe that it will take a bullet in the face to get me out of there, but how do people actually stay awake. And I know everyone will be like, "man its all mental strength", but at some point your body will literally just fall asleep whether you want it to or not. I know this from football, we are forced to get up real early and we have 3 a days, by the end of the day you are exhausted and there is a team meeting, you will literally find yourself drifting forward and falling into sleep, and have to wake yourself. How do people keep from falling asleep?

Re: Staying Awake

I think you just answered your own question.

Comment

You stay awake if you really want to, plus when you get to hell week you have 20 hour out of that whole week to use that time. So you can either sleep or eat.

Comment

It's pretty hard to fall asleep when you're constantly wet and your body temperature is bordering on hypothermic. That's what I've heard anyway. Seems like a reasonable assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Jew View Post
          You stay awake if you really want to, plus when you get to hell week you have 20 hour out of that whole week to use that time. So you can either sleep or eat.
          actually this is wrong. you have 4 hours of total sleep in the 5.5 days. one hour each session. if you sleep when youre supposed to be eating, you wont last long because your body will get no fuel to keep going.

to answer the question -- you really just have to force yourself into it. take it evolution by evolution or hour by hour. do whatever you can to keep moving.
          Jesus told them. “For I assure you: If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

Comment

Oh sorry my bad i thought it was 4 hours a day.

Comment

that would be awesome...except then it wouldnt be called hell week. haha
              Jesus told them. “For I assure you: If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

Comment

I believe it was in "The Warrior Elite" and they talk about during their long hauls in the boats teams would take turns where one guy would nap and the others would paddle, giving everyone a chance for a little cat nap. It isn't much but come Wednesday and Thursday, it might just be enough. They also said that some guys would fall asleep while paddling and just fall out of the boat and get a chilly wake up call.

Comment

I read that in Lone Survivor too.

Comment

I haven't been to hell week but it's more than just learning to stay awake but also performing your job and paying attention to detail. People either adapt quickly, slowly or not at all to sleep & physical deprivation. You can't compare hell week to your experiences in football, not even close. Just don't go into a state of complacency, keep yourself busy constantly. Many times the "Complacency get's you killed." will play over and over in your head many times over. Imagine hell week plus doing bounding drills; making sure you cover your battle buddies, muzzle awareness, and your weapon on safety at all times. I would be focused on performance than anything. That's my two cents.
                    Success is measured in blood; yours or your enemies..

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but if I'm active and doing something, I can stay awake a whole lot longer than if I just sit there. I've also noticed if I've got an empty stomach, I get a whole lot more sleepy, so food helps. You're body also has a natural adrenaline response to lack of sleep and I'm sure this is only heightened when at BUD/S. I'm not saying that's how guys stay awake, but those things make it easier I'm sure.

Comment

The point isn't to weed out the tired but to see who will push through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskaboy View Post
                          The point isn't to weed out the tired but to see who will push through it.
                          Is that what you saw when you were at BUS/s, during Hellweek?
                          Just an old civilian...

Comment

You think the point of hell week is to see who gets tired so they can send them home? Are you kidding. I never said "from my experiance in training".... I know i'll be tired; I'll push through my fatigue until I succeed. I was implying that it's foolish and naive to think you wont be tired..

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskaboy View Post
                              You think the point of hell week is to see who gets tired so they can send them home? Are you kidding. I never said "from my experiance in training".... I know i'll be tired; I'll push through my fatigue until I succeed. I was implying that it's foolish and naive to think you wont be tired..
                              I did not state the point of Hell Week, you did.

My only question was, "Have you been to Hell Week?". In my opinion, if you have been you might know, and if you have not, you should not give advice on the point of Hell Week.

I have not been and therefore will not tell anyone its point.
                              Just an old civilian...

Comment

Working...
                              X