Overview of process to become SEAL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overview of process to become SEAL

I plan on enlisting in spring of 2018 and i know recruiters are probably not the best place to get info from so i'd appreciate it if someone could give me some info on this. I just want to know basically what the process would be if i were to go to a recruiter, tell them i want to go into the SEALs. I know that you have to earn the SEAL contract but i don't know much about what happens after you take your first PST and the ASVAB. If someone can give me info on this that would be awesome so i don't get misled into doing something other than the SEALs and just so i know what to expect. Thanks!

http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-ho...navy-seal.html

Start there. If you have more advanced questions feel free to post them, but make sure you spend your time using the search bar first.
    "Those who will not risk cannot win" - John Paul Jones

Comment

Here is the general order:
      1. Recruiter/Paperwork
      2. ASVAB
      2a. Full Med Check/ pick a secondary rating
      2b. Swear in
      3. PST
      4. C-SORT
      IF you can, try knocking out numbers 1&2 in one day at MEPS

Comment

Originally posted by akane12 View Post
        I plan on enlisting in spring of 2018 and i know recruiters are probably not the best place to get info from so i'd appreciate it if someone could give me some info on this. I just want to know basically what the process would be if i were to go to a recruiter, tell them i want to go into the SEALs. I know that you have to earn the SEAL contract but i don't know much about what happens after you take your first PST and the ASVAB. If someone can give me info on this that would be awesome so i don't get misled into doing something other than the SEALs and just so i know what to expect. Thanks!
        why so far out? you would be shipping 6-12 months out from that date anyways

Comment

take your time with this its a big decision, train hard and read read read, you literally can not read too much

Comment

Hello Seal and SWCC community, I too feel myself on the same boat as akane12 but recently walked into a Naval Recruiter inquiring about joining the Navy branch to hopefully enter this special community. Just to set the background on myself, currently I am 27 turning 28 in Sept. After undergrad in Fall of 2012, I spent 4+ hopeful years in a organization that did not allow my talents to take for higher opportunities, due to poor management. Therefore in the last year and a half I've applied to several law enforcement agencies as a turn to finding a responsibility bigger than myself and helping others as a pivotal career choice. Currently I am in backgrounds for two agencies with no news, just in the dark of silence. The uncertainty is annoying, not knowing what is next for me. Time after time I read and research SEALs but I've come to realize my age eligibility for joining SEALs is nearing. To summarize things up, I've been training 4-5 days a week with two pre-academies by one of the Departments. Given the mental challenge and focus I train with, I've trained myself up to a 9:23 1.5 mile run, 22 dead hang pull-ups and 90 push-ups. Keep in mind, this is me giving roughly 75-85% effort on a little as 2-3 months training. I am looking to test the water on my 500M breast stroke (this was my favorite comp style swim in high school and used in two triathlons) and max sit-ups. Nonetheless, I know PST qualifications are just a tiny tip (barely foot in the door) of the iceberg to becoming a prestiged SEAL. However my greatest disappointment, was from the recruiter that said at my current age of 27, it would be impossible and I would need an age waiver with some political ties and letters to get me in for possible draft. He said there was virtually no way I could get into the program without a waiver or seeking help from certain political connects. Based of what I gathered in the forums and in other research, what is the validity of his statement? I was under the impression that as long as I'd be of age before 29th birthday and locked in a contract, shipped out before Sept 6, 2018 would be my way in.

On some added information: My PICAT score turned out to be 75. Which the recruiter said is excellent considering my highest level of education (Master of Science Management).

I am eager to know the accuracy of what has been discussed between me and him. If there is a chance of me still joining, I'm ready to dive in and fulfill only what I've been seen fascinated about since I could swim as a young child.

Thank You for you time and considerable advice.

-Joseph
            Last edited by jad89; 05-15-2017, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Scott Williams
              Scott Williams commented
              Editing a comment
              Some recruiters misunderstand the regs and think that as soon as you hit 28 you turn into a pumpkin. Actually, you have until your 29th birthday to ship to boot camp. This has been verified by the NSO shop at Navy Recruiting Command. If this recruiter won't help, see another.

practice the sidestroke and find another recruiter who is willing to work with you.

Comment

Thank You Scott Williams and Scorch! After knowing this information, I was told I have 14 days to lock/verify my score in at MEPS. If I go to another recruiter, does this mean I will have to retest?

Comment

Stew Smith said he heard of someone who was 36 who got in. He of course had crazy good pst cores, was already a diver and some letters of recommendation.

Comment

• Roboscout 302
                  Roboscout 302 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That was Ken Greaves. He completed BUD/S about three months shy from turning 39. I heard he had to get letters from congressmen to obtain that rare waiver. I forgot where I’ve read it but it’s out in an online article somewhere.
              Working...
              X