Announcement

Collapse

OPSEC Guidance for Facebook Groups

Download and follow the Naval Special Warfare Command Facebook Operational Security (OPSEC) Guidance PDF.

Download: http://www.sealswcc.com/pdf/facebook...dance-2013.pdf
See more
See less

SWCC vs USMC Infantry Officer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWCC vs USMC Infantry Officer

I have looked at all of my possibilities and cannot decide between whether I want to enlist in the Navy and try for SWCC or go the officer route by the Marine Option of the NROTC Scholarship. If I went for the officer route, I would want to go infantry and possibly go MARSOC from there (the Marine Corps doesn't consider you for MARSOC until you are a O-3 or at least a very senior O-2). The other route that I'm considering is SWCC (a big thing that makes enlisting & going SWCC appealing is that I'm in the U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps {USNSCC**, and if I enlisted in the Navy: after RT, I would get E-3 right away--as opposed to the usual E-2). The main con with going USMC officer is that I wouldn't see a lot of field time. Especially if I went to Recon or MARSOC as an officer, I would,for the most part, be sitting in the LFOC or COC. Enlisting as a SWCC eliminates that concern. My parents want me to go officer (I guess because they think it would be more prestigious--I do admit that it would be easier to do that if I started a family). I want to do the full 20 years regardless of which path I choose. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do try?

I base my workouts off of the USMC PFT right now (I score a 281 with 21 pull-ups, 129 abdominal crunches, and 20:57 on the 3-mile). Currently, for the SWCC PST I have a 9:15 1.5-mile, 92 sit-ups, 55 push-ups, the same amount of pull-ups as in the USMC PFT, and a 12:32 on the swim (that is an old time, I haven't been able to test myself in a while on the swim). I'm 15 so I have a ways to go.

If you want to see field time, join the SWCC. You stated you were in the Cadets, that's good. But it's whatever you want to pursue. If you like being out in the field a lot, I would definitely pick SWCC.

Comment

Originally posted by Hapunan View Post
      If you want to see field time, join the SWCC. You stated you were in the Cadets, that's good. But it's whatever you want to pursue. If you like being out in the field a lot, I would definitely pick SWCC.
      Thank you for the insight, Hapunan.

Also, for anyone interested, I just retested myself on the swim and am at a 10:44 for the 500yd.

Comment

Hash out the pro's and con's of each rate. Focus on one after deciding.

Comment

Working...
        X