So you wanna be a boat guy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you wanna be a boat guy?

im a swcc veteran, graduated class 50. If you have any questions pertaining to being a boat guy, fire away. I enjoyed my time at Boat team 22 but got injured over seas and decided to get out of the service. I will help in any way I can.

Re: So you wanna be a boat guy?

Fantastic! I ship to basic in a littler over a month and I'm just trying to fine tune myself until then. My PST numbers are very competitive according to the PST calculator so now I'm trying to shift my focus towards longer distance running and swimming. Also, building confidence in the water. I have a couple questions about the pool work in BCT. Are students instructed and taught the proper way to complete evolutions like buddy tows and brick treads or should a candidate arrive self taught. Training alone has made it difficult/impossible for me to practice buddy tows and I hear and saw (Surviving the Cut) how many people had trouble with this evolution. Along with water work I was wondering how I could prepare for the O-Course. Looks like it hurts and I'm wondering if there are any particular muscle groups to work on throughout the next month to give myself and edge. I really appreciate any help on these broad questions.

Nick

Comment

It helps to practice fetching bricks off the bottom of the pool. Naturally, you want someone nearby that's qualified to fetch YOU if there are any issues. Otherwise, the more time you spend in the pool, the better. You will be taught how to do all evolutions at BCT. Instructors don't expect you to know them upon arrival.
      Regarding the O course, most guys underestimate how much of a toll the various obstacles exert on certain muscle groups. Make sure your core is rock solid and work on your forearms.
      Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
      35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

This is a strange question, but Why did you choose to be a Boat guy? What made you make that decision? I am thinking Seal personally if I go, so I just wandered what made you think SWCC?
        -Ken

Comment

Hey. I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this question, but i was wondering how one goes about being chosen for a "class leader"? Do they select by rank? Age? or possibly perfomance in earlier training? This is just something i've recently been thinking about and was curiouse about. Im still a ways out from shipping so its nothing urgent by any means.

Comment

Hi I've been training for awhile now and I'm almost ready
            To apply for a contract. So I need to make a dissision that I've
            Been putting off for the duration of my training. Which is
            Seals or swcc. Big guns in boats sounds great but if I'm going to
            Work that hard I don't want t regret not going that extra mile and become
            A seal. So any opinions from actual seals or swcc operators would be extremely
            Helpful and appreciated. PS sorry for typos and grammar I typed this on my phone.

Comment

That's a question a bunch of us ask ourselves and it depends on who you ask? I had the privilege to talk to active duty Swcc and seals and each of them said their own rate was better. All and all it's the type of style and things you want to do with your career in the navy. Both programs are hard and both are exciting. You go on some forums and some say seals are better mainly cause Swcc take them too and from and again it's just one aspect that they do. Remember Swcc are the best maritime warriors in our military so if you want to be on a boat there ya go. Seals in my opinion are the best all around warriors in our military that's what it stands for sea air and land. My suggestion is talk to your mentor and see if there is a way to talk to some active duty guys to give you some insight.

Comment

Bud-
                im shippin Apr 8 for Basic, going for SWCC. what were your deployments like? length of time, where did you go? Same question for training while not deployed. did you stay mostly around where you were stationed or did you travel a lot for training as well?

Comment

What kind of relationships do SEALs/SWCCs have? I mean no disrespect, because I am very interested in SWCC and SEAL, but are they considered inferior to SEALs? I mean, obviously the training is not as long, and the SEALs get all the press/attention which is why SWCC really appeals to me ("Quiet Professionals").

I am drawn to the challenge of BUD/S with Hell Week and whatnot because I want to see if I can endure, but I don't want to push myself through it if I would've enjoyed being a SWCC more than a SEAL. Don't get me wrong, either one would be a huge honor. I just don't want to feel as though I'm taking the "easy way out." I've researched a good amount and SWCC seems like an awesome thing to do, I dig the fact that they just do their job quietly and don't get any attention, there's one video that calls them the "Navy's Best Kept Secret." But part of the reason I wanted to be a SEAL in the first place is to go through BUD/S.

I train with Stew Smith every day and he's had nothing but good things to say about SWCC, that being said, he's like the nicest guy I've ever met so I don't see him bad-mouthing really anyone at all. If you can shed any light on it for me, it would be much appreciated.
                  "BE STRONG. BE ACCOUNTABLE. NEVER COMPLAIN."
                  -The Late Lt. Brendan Looney

Comment

Every SEAL I have ever spoken to or heard of, has only had good things to say about the SBTs. Professionalism and efficiency are the words to describe them. Neither is BCT or CQT any easier than BUD/S only different. Watch the discovery channels surviving the cut series on SWCC. then watch class 234. Comparing the two, they are very similar, and very challenging. Both have a long term evolution with little sleep: for SWCC it's the Tour, for BUD/S it's Hell Week. Both have a similar attrition rate and involve a lot of running, swimming, PT, and lots and lots of wet and sandy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fitzguy View Post
                      Every SEAL I have ever spoken to or heard of, has only had good things to say about the SBTs. Professionalism and efficiency are the words to describe them. Neither is BCT or CQT any easier than BUD/S only different. Watch the discovery channels surviving the cut series on SWCC. then watch class 234. Comparing the two, they are very similar, and very challenging. Both have a long term evolution with little sleep: for SWCC it's the Tour, for BUD/S it's Hell Week. Both have a similar attrition rate and involve a lot of running, swimming, PT, and lots and lots of wet and sandy.
                      Thank you my friend
                      "BE STRONG. BE ACCOUNTABLE. NEVER COMPLAIN."
                      -The Late Lt. Brendan Looney

Comment

Hello bud27 and everyone, I am currently active duty stationed in norfolk. I had a few friends in bud/s prep and that when i learned all about the NSW community, ever since then I've been driven to become a member of the SWCC community. My questions are what sort of difficulty will I run into since im active duty serving in another rate? i know people can be a different rate and go through the draft to pick up a contract. Secondly, what will I need to do differently to begin my process.
                        thank you for making this thread, it will help me very much knowing i have the best of the best sharing info to get me when I need to be.
                        Hooyah!

Comment

I think everyone expecting a response from the original poster should realize this thread is two years old and the OP hasnt been active since March. You guys may continue to discuss boat guys but realize that this thread isnt exactly recent.

Comment

Working...
                          X