Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secrecy

I hope this question can be answered by a SEAL or Spec Ops member
    since they are the only one who can accurately answer my question..

I plan on becoming a SEAL, and I've made some major sacrifices in my life the last
    few years as well as dedicated much of my free time to train. I plan on training for
    the next year and a half full-time in order to ensure my completion of BUDs.

My family and friends don't know that I'm planning to be a SEAL.

Only my mom and dad know.

I'm reluctant to tell my close friends and family because I know that my choice of career
    is one of secrecy, and I don't want to jeopardize my future in the SEALs by telling people
    before I even graduate BUDs. This is a problem, however, because the people I really
    care about don't really know why I'm not around anymore.

I tell them I'm training Mixed Martial Arts, which is true, but they don't know my plans.

Should I continue this?
    Or can I tell my closest friends and family what I plan to do??

Re: Secrecy

Mathew, I would tell everyone(friends and family or whoever you feel is important) what you are planing on doing. They are apart of your life, why close out your plans to them about your future.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewpadraic View Post
      I hope this question can be answered by a SEAL or Spec Ops member
      since they are the only one who can accurately answer my question..

I plan on becoming a SEAL, and I've made some major sacrifices in my life the last
      few years as well as dedicated much of my free time to train. I plan on training for
      the next year and a half full-time in order to ensure my completion of BUDs.

My family and friends don't know that I'm planning to be a SEAL.

Only my mom and dad know.

I'm reluctant to tell my close friends and family because I know that my choice of career
      is one of secrecy, and I don't want to jeopardize my future in the SEALs by telling people
      before I even graduate BUDs. This is a problem, however, because the people I really
      care about don't really know why I'm not around anymore.

I tell them I'm training Mixed Martial Arts, which is true, but they don't know my plans.

Should I continue this?
      Or can I tell my closest friends and family what I plan to do??
      It's all up to you, dude. A lot of guys have gone on to become SEALs without anyone, including their own parents, knowing. Remember though, that SEALs aren't top secret spies. Telling your friends that you want to be a SEAL isn't going to hurt you. Unless you decide to rub it in everyone's face that you want to be a SEAL and make yourself look like a butthole, but that's another matter entirely.

But, this is only my opinion as a SEAL candidate; the actual Team guys here will be able to better answer this for you.
      Somewhere a true believer is training to kill us. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs; his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. He is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at night, he is home. He knows only the cause.

For this reason, we do not quit.

Comment

Just tell them you're joining the Navy, when they ask if you have any specific area in mind, just say you don't know.

Comment

Working...
        X