Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Some Advice

Hello Everyone,

I am just looking for some general advice on whether I should enlist in December and apply to SWCC while in the Navy or train for awhile and try to get a SWCC contract before enlisting.

I am 21 years old and just recently graduated college in May. I have always wanted to serve in the military and I recently have decided that the Navy is the right branch for me. While researching all the rates the Navy has to offer I came across SWCC and knew right away that that is where I needed to end up. I have always been in pretty good shape and have been training harder then ever to get in shape for the Navy. I will keep working on my scores and am determined to reach 100 on each test.

My most recent PRT was: 70 pushups- 82 situps- 9:45 mile 1/2

The big problem is that my swimming ability is basically just above not drowning, it is my weakest point by far. A pool just opened up right by me and I would be in it right now except I just got carpal tunnel surgery and need the same surgery on my other hand, keeping me out of the pool for approximately a month and a half. Due to a 2nd degree harassment charge I received in May giving me a ACD (adjournment in contemplation of dismissal), I have to wait until early December to enlist. I really doubt I would be in enough physical shape, especially considering my swimming ability, to be a competitive applicant for SWCC.

So as of right now my plan is to enlist as a GM, as it really seems like a rate I would enjoy, train during my time in the Navy and then try to apply to SWCC once serving enough time in my rate. I figure that way I can develop myself as a sailor and become disciplined and more mature while greatly improving my swimming.
    My other option would be to not enlist right away and develop my swimming by myself with classes and training, although I feel as though I would not grow and improve myself as much as I would if I were in the Navy.

I guess it comes down to enlist now and apply to SWCC while in the Navy or wait to enlist and apply to SWCC right away, any advice or input is greatly appreciated! I don't know anyone in the military I can really talk to about this so thank you for letting me get all my thoughts out and always providing great info on this site.
    Last edited by GMorwait; 07-30-2015, 07:46 AM.

Good afternoon, and good to see you here. After reading your post, my advice to you is this. Ask yourself deep down if you want to be a GM, or if you want to be a SWCC. If your answer to yourself is SWCC, then get your swimming down, and everything else required to be a SWCC. Don't let the fact that your not a good swimmer stray you away from that decision. It won't take you long to get a basic side stroke down, then once your comfortable with that, add a few mechanics to your swim, and you can get the combat side stroke down. It's honestly not hard, just repetition and practice. Don't self defeat yourself. It would be easier to enlist as a SWCC, then to change it over once the in the Navy. Your already here on the forums, your already telling yourself this is want you want. Shoot for it

Comment

I agree with SoLid. Wait to enlist until your ready and go straight for SWCC. From what I've heard, switching rates into NSW is a harder path to take. - My 2 cents
      Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Comment

Thank you very much for the replies. I guess I am very anxious to just get into the Navy right away, but yes you are right. Deep down if I ask myself what I want to be the answer will always be SWCC and GM in my mind was just a way to get to the final goal. I'm going to get the surgery on my other hand and let that heal up and then go at my training harder than ever. I also need to read up on some good books to get my mentality/attitude more in line with that of the NSW community. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Originally posted by GMorwait View Post
          Thank you very much for the replies. I guess I am very anxious to just get into the Navy right away, but yes you are right. Deep down if I ask myself what I want to be the answer will always be SWCC and GM in my mind was just a way to get to the final goal. I'm going to get the surgery on my other hand and let that heal up and then go at my training harder than ever. I also need to read up on some good books to get my mentality/attitude more in line with that of the NSW community. Thanks again guys.
          It just comes down to what you want bro. If you feel like SWCC is what you want then wait and go for a SB contract. If you just want to get in the Navy then just enlist. No one on here can make that call for you. You are still very young and have all the time in the world to make the call that is best for you. Just make a careful and calculated decision based on what you want and everything else will fall into place. Good luck either way bro.

Comment

Trust me- I'm trying to convert to SWCC right now and it's a fight. It's something I want, and I have to show it. If it's what you want, train, then enlist for SWCC. It's the "easier" road- and by easier I mean less standing in your way.

Comment

Working...
            X