MEPS tomorrow to sign contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEPS tomorrow to sign contract

I've been told that after the first contract I sign, I can start working with a mentor no matter which job I have on the contract. Then if the mentor thinks I can be an asset as SWCC, then I'll get to sign a SWCC challenge contract. So, does that mean it's not possible that I'll get a SWCC Challenge contract tomorrow? I don't have much time left to make it in because I'm 29 and my birthday is 12/31. I've been working up to this moment both physically and mentally for approximately two years now and I can't afford to screw it up. Any advice and/or information by someone experienced will be greatly appreciated.

Once you take a PST with your mentor you will be put into a draft, If your scores are good enough then you will get your SWCC contract, hope this helped

Comment

Okay, yes it helps. At least to ease my mind a little bit. I know that as soon as I'm in DEP, I'll have the opportunity to work with a mentor.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Signed my contract this morning as "air pact" I think is what it was called. Hoping to hear from the NSW mentor by Monday or Tuesday. Just figured I'd update. Current ship date is 4/11/17 hoping to get picked up by SWCC and ship before the end of this year.

Comment

Just thought I'd update since it's been a couple months. Currently working out with/ psting with mentors in my area.
            My swim SUCKS, so I swim almost every day and only run once a week now until I can get css down around 10 minutes.

13:50
            11:05
            The swim is killing all of my numbers because I'm smoked just from 500m

Comment

What are your swim workouts looking like?

Comment

I usually do a couple drills. Pool buoy between thighs and front crawl 100 yards, flutter kick with a kick board for 100 yards, scissor kick with kick board 100 yards, then I swim about 800 css and about 300 front crawl. Also occasionally add 50yd css, 20 pushups 5x.

Comment

I would strongly suggest doing sprints. I used to have a 500yd swim of about 14 min. I starting swimming every single day mixing up my workouts with sprints, 1000y css, and doing 500y timed css every couple of times. Basically using the same types mentioned in the PTG. Im at 10:03 now(which i am still not pleased with). An example of a pretty good workout would be this: warmup 200y css followed by a timed 500y css. Then do 3x100y sprints. And finish with a 200y cooldown. obviously you can add more 100y sprints if 3 sets isnt enough. Just remember that proper form is key during the swim and not using proper form WILL really impact your time. On the other hand, i would also suggest running more than once a week. You can improve your swim and run together, it doesnt have to be one or the other. Once again doing sprints will tremendously help your run time. I hope this really helps you and isnt confusing. You've got plenty of time to get competitive scores. Just stay dedicated to it and youll have your contract in the next few months. Good luck, bud.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the input, Samuel. And no, not confusing at all. I'm gonna go with that swim plan for a couple weeks at least. I need to time myself in the 500 again either tomorrow or Monday to get a better baseline also because before today, it took me about 10-12 strokes to get across the pool. Now I can consistently do it in 6-7. I wasn't streamline enough and water was catching in my clavicle area. That is the only thing I changed and it dropped 4-5 strokes.

Comment

Your welcome. Don't forget to throw in some longer distance swims once or twice a week. Good luck!

Comment

Well, I'm finally in the draft. Crappy numbers for the most part but I'm really proud of my swim improvement.
                        10:04
                        10:58

Comment

Latest pst
                          9:30
                          10:21
                          Getting there. I need more core work and pull ups.

Comment

Working...
                          X