Careers after SWCC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Careers after SWCC

Just curious about what some SB's do after their enlistment. I know there isn't much of a demand in our job market for people that can shoot guns and drive boats fast.

Will an enlistment as a SWCC ( as opposed to other non- special warfare/ ops rates) open much doors outside of the navy? Many of the federal jobs that I have been looking at list previous special ops stuff as a plus, mentions seals, rangers, SF, etc- but never EVER mentions SWCC. I know this site is a recruitment tool and all that jazz, but big picture stuff here.

Is serving in the sbt's really that different from the big navy?

Thank You
    America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people.
    George W. Bush

Re: Careers after SWCC

Well, I can't say for sure what is most common, but I would imagine that those federal jobs aren't going to hold it against you that you were SWCC instead of SEAL or special forces in another branch. You're still NSW and you still underwent a tough selection process, so they know they're getting a solid candidate...as long as your military record isn't too dirty.

Of course, being a SWCC (or any other rate) will open doors for people. For many, they are provided the means to go to and succeed at college. With that in mind, you can essentially follow-up with any career you want. Many companies have a skewed hiring process that favors prior service members that were honorably discharged. They know you're disciplined and smart, and hopefully still in great physical condition (for physical jobs).

As far as differences from non-NSW jobs, sure it's different. You're probably not going to leave your SBTs and get hired on elsewhere as a nuclear mechanic, those jobs belong to the nuclear community guys. Unless, I guess, you go to school and study that stuff.

Finally, don't discount the option that for a lot of people after their enlistment, they retire. Many people see the Navy as more than a 6-year commitment and stay for 20+ years. I mean, retiring in your 40s isn't such a bad thought, right?
    I stood and stared; the sky was lit,
    The sky was stars all over it,
    I stood, I knew not why,
    Without a wish, without a will,
    I stood upon that silent hill
    And stared into the sky until
    My eyes were blind with stars and still
    I stared into the sky.
    -Ralph Hodgson, "The Song of Honour"

Comment

Great post Cloud, I had actually posted something on the lines of what you said in another post that was asking the same question but I think the memebr got banned.

Since you brought up the 20+ guys (something I would love to pursue), I assume SWCC has Warrant Officer positions similar to the rest of the Navy that would allow Enlisted for more specialty leadership positions.

Comment

SWCC do have warrant officers, but no unrestricted line officers. SEAL officers are in charge of SWCC commands.
        With regard to post-military jobs, SWCC can work a variety of marine engineering, maintenance, and operations jobs, which means they could be hired as ship's company for just about any type of vessel. Their NSW training makes them good candidates for defense industry jobs supporting SOF.
        Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
        35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

That's what I was looking for!
          Thanks
          America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people.
          George W. Bush

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Williams View Post
            SWCC do have warrant officers, but no unrestricted line officers. SEAL officers are in charge of SWCC commands.
            With regard to post-military jobs, SWCC can work a variety of marine engineering, maintenance, and operations jobs, which means they could be hired as ship's company for just about any type of vessel. Their NSW training makes them good candidates for defense industry jobs supporting SOF.
            I had no idea about that, I assumed SWCC had there own Officers. Does that make any tactical sense, to have a SEAL Officer commanding SWCC? I understand they are both NSW, but still, it seems like the SEAL Officer would have very little experience with the operations that SWCC operators go on

I am actually curious.

Comment

From what my cousin (SWCC senior cheif retired) has told me, SWCCs and SEALs are so closely related in a battle sense that one should be able to perform the other's duties at the drop of a hat, should the circumstance arise. That being said, I do not know why SEAL officers command SWCC units. Just thought you might want to know what a former boat guy has to say about the two working together.

Comment

SEALs and SWCC work together on a frequent basis. The reason why there are no SWCC officers is because the SWCC community is so small that they don't really have enough people to warrant having their own officer corps. There has to be enough officers to promote up to at least Captain, and there just aren't enough jobs out there for them. In any case, SEAL officers in charge of SWCC units are good about learning what they don't know and are very capable, along with SWCC warrants and Chief Petty Officers, to lead the SBs.
                Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
                35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Alright, thank you 2, that cleared it up for me and makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X