Thread: Rocket Fins or Jet Fins?

Rocket Fins or Jet Fins?

I'm going to start training with fins, and want to use the same model/type I will be able to use at BUDS...Should I get Jet fins or Rocket Fins? Also, what should I look for in a booty? just a cheap pair?

dcdreamboat

Re: Rocket Fins or Jet Fins?

For what it's worth, I got the rocket fins. Get the highest quality bootie you can. Good job starting the fin swims. You feet will feel like they're about to explode at first, so getting used to it now is a great idea.

If I recall correctly, they use Jet fins. As for the boots, I would suggest a softer boot that is made for diving such as the Deep See Manta Dive Boots (I used those for when I used to SCUBA dive), as they allow more ankle movement and flexibility when compared to a stiff combat style boot.

Former Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team Moderator

If you come to BUD/S, you will be given all the equipment - including fins - that you need to complete the training. However, you may find it useful to become accustomed to swimming with fins before arriving. The fins currently used by BUD/S and SEAL Qualification Training students are Jet Fins.
    Rosie Heiss

What type of Jet Fin?

BUD/S currently uses SCUBA Pro Jet Fins, but according to the BUD/S staff and operators, they are subject to change at any time.
    Rosie Heiss

I was reading a post on navyseals.com by Craig "Sawman" Sawyer concerning fins. Here is the link to that post http://navyseals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162660. A tip that he suggested to people with thinner, maybe weaker ankles was to buy a softer floppier set of fins for the surface swims. The question I have is, during BUD/S are candidates allowed to use their own fins for surface swims or must they use the Jet Fins that are issued? I do have thinner ankles, and I was going to buy a split fin design. If they are not allowed in BUD/S then I will just buy a set of Jet Fins and try to develop ankle strength. I would like to know before I invest a $100+ on a set of fins.

Everyone will use the same fins, currently it's Jet Fins. The design is basically the exact same as Rocket Fins.

So is the option to use your own fins only allowed when you are in the Teams?

Rawcorp,

BUD/S is tightly controlled, but the guys in the Teams generally get to select the gear that they want.
    Rosie Heiss

The issue of swimming with fins before BUD/S comes up frequently. Its true that almost all swimming in BUD/S is with fins, but your first priority is excelling on the PST (i.e., without fins). Including fin swimming in your preparation is probably a good thing, as long as you recognize fins require getting used to and that you should introduce them gradually and increase your mileage slowly. Here is another example of a situation where you can do more harm than good by doing too much too soon. Id encourage you to add fins to your workouts just a few pool lengths at a time, and limit total fin work to about a third of your total mileage. Outside the pool, work on general ankle strength and flexibility (also necessary to reduce the risk of shin splints/stress fracture while running). Fins are part of the curriculum at the NSW Prep Course in Great Lakes, where they are introduced early but progressively, so if you never get a chance to strap on fins before boot camp you will most likely adapt just fine.
    Mike Caviston
    Director of Fitness, NSWCEN