Thread: Best way to increase upper body strength?

Griever07

Best way to increase upper body strength?

Ive been doing a lot of push ups, sit ups, pull ups and overall barbell (Weider X-Factor) training but it doesn't seem to be working as well as i want it to. It is working to a particular extent but i think I have reached my max. I would like to know if there is any way i could increase my results on the X-Factor?

Question Re: Best way to increase upper body strength?

how many reps of pullups do you do on your pullup workouts and pushups and dips?

You can maybe get a weight vest or dip belt and use it in you pullups, pushups, and dip sessions.

you can also dp some negative pullups, pushups and dips.

I do upperbody PT pullups, pushups, dips. 3 Times a week, workout to failure one day a week.

and do lowerbody 2 Times a week.

do some weight lifting to but never pair up your upperbody pts with lifting I have had very negative results from doing this.

Re: Best way to increase upper body strength?

Griever07,

I am by no means a physical fitness trainer/instructor, but I will tell you what I know from what I have read and what I have experienced.

Physical gains in pure strength are provided by overloading the muscle stimulus which causes them to adapt and grow. What I mean by this is that while you can do a lot of pushups, you're still only lifting about 50-60% of your body weight. The resistance stays the same, therefore over time - as your muscles grow - you will need to do more repetitions in order to provide the proper stimulus.

This can work, but an alternate work-around to this is strength training, which is advocated by the Physical Training Guide on this site. Pure strength is desirable due to the fact that your muscles can do more work before fatiguing. What I mean by this is that if you have a man who can bench twice his body weight and a man that can only bench 70% of his body weight, who do you think will have an easier time doing pushups before encountering muscle fatigue?

The argument that pure strength is not equivalent to muscular endurance is valid, but honestly, if you can do 8 reps of the bicep curl movement with a 50lb dumbbell, then you should be able to do a lot more reps with a lighter weight.

_____

With all of that said, what I suggest is that if you wish to make gains in pure strength, you should probably do more than just calisthenics.

For example, I'm not a strong guy by any means, but I can still do about 13 pull-ups when it comes to the PST. What I'm currently doing is - as rosin789 mentioned in his post - attaching a weight belt to my waist and holstering a 45lb plate to it and doing pull-ups with the added weight. I can only do about 5 reps with this set-up, but I know that it works because I'm giving my muscles a reason to get bigger due to the fact that there is a necessity to lift more than just my body weight alone.

Isolating certain muscles and individually strengthening them is not a bad idea either. You know that for a push-up, you're using your chest, a bit of your triceps, a bit of your shoulders, and a bit of your core. So, what you could do is do exercises that target those muscles groups to make them stronger (there are a variety of them mentioned in the PTG).

Honestly, I'm not familiar with the "Wielder X-Factor" equipment, so I can't really comment on it.

Finally, while calisthenics are good, don't forget to do other exercises that have practical applications. For example, the shoulder press exercise is roughly similar to Log PT in the aspect that it focuses on the same muscles. You also want to work on hip abduction exercises. This works the Ilio-tibial Band, which if left neglected can cause running issues in the soft sand at BUD/S. The last thing you want to have happen to you is undergoing an injury at BUD/S when you could have prevented it with a little more training.

______

I am sure that there are more qualified personnel on this forum who can (and will) correct me and show how unqualified I am to give you advice. I am just trying to tell you what I have learned/experienced. And truth be told, I actually prefer opening my mouth and giving advice to anyone due to the fact that I'm usually wrong and don't want anyone to get injured/in trouble due to incorrect info. But, considering how you asked for my insight, I have decided to provide such as requested.

I apologize for the long post, if I could put it in short though, I would say, do more than just calisthenics (heavy weight to build strength).

-Barall