Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Past Wednesday

Getting Past Wednesday

I've read that, normally, once a person gets past Wednesday in Hell Week, less people tend to drop out because they're half way through. Is that true?
    Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don't let yourself believe it will happen to you.
    -Muhammad Ali

Re: Getting Past Wednesday

JT is definitely a source of inspiration. I also heard that since there are 4 meals a day during BUD/S, it's a good idea to just push yourself to make it to the next meal. Your thoughts on that tactic? Another question. Say someone couldn't complete and or do a certain evolution due to lack of sleep. Do instructors ever send people packing during Hell Week?
    Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don't let yourself believe it will happen to you.
    -Muhammad Ali

Admin-
    thank you very much for posting the link to those interviews, i listened to all of them and was glued to the computer for hours. they were all very motivating, inspiring, and just overall great to listen to.
    The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.
    -George S. Patton

Thanks so much for posting these. Incredibly inspiring.

I'm not speaking from my experience, but in the words of a close friend who's BTDT... The answer to your question is... Don't quit. That's the secret. You can ask how to make it through hell week first phase whatever a million different ways, but the best advice I've gotten is Embrace the suck before the suck embraces you... Don't quit

Don't quit by Unknown author

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
    When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
    When the funds are low and the debts are high,
    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
    When care is pressing you down a bit-
    Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is strange with its twists and turns,
    As every one of us sometimes learns,
    And many a failure turns about
    When he might have won had he stuck it out.
    Don't give up though the pace seems slow -
    You may succeed with another blow.

Success is failure turned inside out,
    The silver tint in the clouds of doubt,
    And you never can tell how close you are,
    It might be near when it seems afar;
    So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
    It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

Quote Originally Posted by akg13 View Post
    I'm not speaking from my experience, but in the words of a close friend who's BTDT... The answer to your question is... Don't quit. That's the secret. You can ask how to make it through hell week first phase whatever a million different ways, but the best advice I've gotten is Embrace the suck before the suck embraces you... Don't quit
    Thank you Like Richard Machowicz says, "Not dead, Can't quit." That poem gives me a new perspective at challenges I do and will face.
    -Muhammad Ali

I have been glued to that website. lol
    -Muhammad Ali

these are fantastic to listen to while your running... just sayin lol
    The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.
    -George S. Patton

Are the links still available to the interviews mentioned by carrolj26?

Yes, the interviews are on the main website on the SEAL side. Click downloads, and under audio you will find the interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by akg13 View Post

akg13 nailed it in my opinion... don't search through every thread on this site or others searching for an answer to help prepare you for hell week....nothing will and never be able to prepare you for it. I haven't experienced my hell week..yet.
    All i am going to do is just not ring that bell. i will never DOR..that humiliation.. the fact you can never come back after you DOR...your gonna wake up every morning hating yourself for what you did...

my advice is to just prepare to blow the PST out of the water...i am a firm believer that if you train hard, get your scores all the way up to the top...you have gotten some mental toughness out of it too..just train hard and DON'T RING THAT ******* BELL
    "What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists...and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want...and are fully determined not to quit until you get it." - Graham Bell

I'm on it frequently only because I always have my iPod strapped to my arm, haha. Funny, my dad and I were just talking about the movie G.I. Jane earlier today. I actually have tried to find the Surviving the Cut video on BUD/S and the Class 234 videos but I can't seem to find them anywhere online. On the legal websites at least. If you give your 100% all the time then you won't need to worry about being kicked out for not giving enough.
    -Muhammad Ali

totally serious question here and I didn't want to start a new thread about it but here it goes...
    how does going to the bathroom during hellweek work? you're constantly busy with evolutions and such is there time to do business?

during meals

Or in the sand.

Taking a leak in any of the water evolutions would give you a slight warm feeling for a few seconds. (Not kidding, just an observation.) Also during that time period your body is going to be very much in the fight or flight mode. One of the physiological responses to that is to decrease waste excretion.

Want to know if you have what it takes to make it through hell week? Stay up for 48 hours straight. Obviously plan this on a weekend or sometime you can have 3 days for yourself. Depending on when you usually wake up, I'd go with 6. So the first bit is staying up a little to set up the entire test. You're going to stay up the night before and go to bed at 6am. Then you wake up at 6pm, and take it in blocks. You can plan meals for yourself, I would make them beforehand and put them in plastic containers, and also like breakfast and dinner eat with your parents, or cook something up. Just think of making it to the next meal, or 6'o'clock. Every 12 hours it will be 6 again, and once you come to the conclusion when you hit 6, your mind will kind of reset for a couple hours, then it's going to suck again. If you really want to go all out you can train during this time, although I wouldn't. The obvious ones are don't drive, or swim. Good luck.

SLEEP__SUCK TIME__AWAKE___AWAKE____AWAKE______SLEEP
    ---v----------------v----------------v----------------v----------------v----------------v-----
    --6am----------6pm-----------6am-----------6pm-----------6am-----------6pm--

If you don't finish, don't sweat it. You're not going to be as fired up as you will be when you're actually there. Just a mind game to play. Stay hydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    Want to know if you have what it takes to make it through hell week? Stay up for 48 hours straight. Obviously plan this on a weekend or sometime you can have 3 days for yourself. Depending on when you usually wake up, I'd go with 6. So the first bit is staying up a little to set up the entire test. You're going to stay up the night before and go to bed at 6am. Then you wake up at 6pm, and take it in blocks. You can plan meals for yourself, I would make them beforehand and put them in plastic containers, and also like breakfast and dinner eat with your parents, or cook something up. Just think of making it to the next meal, or 6'o'clock. Every 12 hours it will be 6 again, and once you come to the conclusion when you hit 6, your mind will kind of reset for a couple hours, then it's going to suck again. If you really want to go all out you can train during this time, although I wouldn't. The obvious ones are don't drive, or swim. Good luck.

SLEEP__SUCK TIME__AWAKE___AWAKE____AWAKE______SLEEP
    ---v----------------v----------------v----------------v----------------v----------------v-----
    --6am----------6pm-----------6am-----------6pm-----------6am-----------6pm--

If you don't finish, don't sweat it. You're not going to be as fired up as you will be when you're actually there. Just a mind game to play. Stay hydrated.
    Hey, you really need to stop giving out advice like this. You can't safely prepare for Hellweek. And telling guys if you can make it 2 days at home watching movies and eating with your parents is just ridiculous. This forum is meant to help not hinder. Good luck in your training.
    Last edited by Admin; 05-29-2012 at 04:35 PM.

That's why it's only 2 days, it's a mind game. I only give out beneficial advice, I've done this, did it, and it's skyrocketed my confidence above and beyond.
    Last edited by Admin; 05-29-2012 at 04:34 PM.